In the mind of a Cruz fan last night

Cody wasn't larger than Mizugaki or Bowles...Both of those guys were the same height as Cody, but with 3-5 more inches of reach and they're often considered Cruz's most impressive performances. Faber and TJ are only an inch shorter than Cody, but with 2 more inches of reach. Not to mention the 8 or so guys that Cruz beat at FW and LW.

The bolded part of your comment is absolutely true, though, with the exception of leg kicks—Dom was just winging those out there. His feints were pretty shitty last night. Bad performance by Dom and great performance by Cody

I actually went back and watched the Bowles fight last night and Cody clearly is a bit larger than him, more obviously though I think you do see a lot of the same issues that cost him last night as Bowles does actually catch him quite a bit when he gets close in with his timing.defence looking questionable.

I really do not see much if any physical dropoff from Cruz dispite the injuries and the years between. I actually think though that both explains why he could comeback better than say Shogun and also part of why he lost to Cody. Dispite the hype Cruz for me was never someone who depended on extreme speed/agility rather his success in movement was down to technique and those looping punches worked catching people off balance dispite never really being THAT fast.

Guys like Dillashaw, Might Mouse, Dobson, etc are I think a lot quicker than Cruz plus as well looking higher up in weight to someone who had success with looping punches Fedor was also much faster than Cruz relative to his body size, Technique and timing closer are also issues but still he was lighting fast for a HW where as Dom never has been for a 135lber and Cody often beat him to the punch as a result.

Round 1 - Cody 10-9
Round 2 - Cruz 10-9
Round 3 - Cody 10-9
Round 4 - Cody 10-8
Round 5 - Cruz 10-9

A lot of people were expecting Cody to gas around round 3 but truth it rounds 3 and 4 were his best rounds

I actually went back and watched the Bowles fight last night and Cody clearly is a bit larger than him, more obviously though I think you do see a lot of the same issues that cost him last night as Bowles does actually catch him quite a bit when he gets close in with his timing.defence looking questionable.

I really do not see much if any physical dropoff from Cruz dispite the injuries and the years between. I actually think though that both explains why he could comeback better than say Shogun and also part of why he lost to Cody. Dispite the hype Cruz for me was never someone who depended on extreme speed/agility rather his success in movement was down to technique and those looping punches worked catching people off balance dispite never really being THAT fast.

Guys like Dillashaw, Might Mouse, Dobson, etc are I think a lot quicker than Cruz plus as well looking higher up in weight to someone who had success with looping punches Fedor was also much faster than Cruz relative to his body size, Technique and timing closer are also issues but still he was lighting fast for a HW where as Dom never has been for a 135lber and Cody often beat him to the punch as a result.

If Cody is larger than Bowles, then it's barely by an inch. That's not mentioning Bowles 70 inch reach compared to Cody's 65. Honestly though, I don't remember what notion I was pushing forward in my original post, and I'm over this fight now lol.

Huge Cruz fan here. He lost to himself last night. He went non stop hunting for Cody when it was suppose to be the other way around.

EDIT: Cruz was the champion. he had no business being the aggressor and with his style of fighting. especially someone who can counter and has KO power.

Surprised to see how many gave round 2 for Dom, I thought Cody clearly won that.

Will have to rewatch the fight, it's always easier to score on the replay.

10-10 EVEN
10-9 CRUZ
10-9 GARBRANDT
10-8 GARBRANDT
10-9 CRUZ

Cody wins by one point

Huge Cruz fan here. He lost to himself last night. He went non stop hunting for Cody when it was suppose to be the other way around.

EDIT: Cruz was the champion. he had no business being the aggressor and with his style of fighting. especially someone who can counter and has KO power.
Cruz did not beat himself cody fought a great fight I didn't think he had that in him

Back