In the mind of a Cruz fan last night

120wrestling

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
1st round - Close round, maybe the judges gave it to Dom, Cody looked like he was having trouble with his movement. As a Cruz fan, round number one made me super confident

2nd round - Close round that I thought Cruz won, Cody was picking up well...but I thought Cruz stole that round

3rd round - Cody might have won this round, he's starting to tag Cruz, fuck I hope Cruz doesn't get caught, fuck Cody might have won this round

4th round - Doms cut...but he can relax this round and steal the 5th. Don't let him touch you dom, lets go Dom, FUCK DOM GOES DOWN, AGAIN, AGAIN. Cruz is going to get stopped soon. Fuck, I hope the judges suck tonight and don't give Cody a 10-8 for that round.

5th round - Ok, Cody probably has 2 in the bag...Dom has two maybe. Dom doesn't even need to dominate this round, just make sure Cody doesn't hit you. Take him down a few times to get some points. Fuck Cody is hitting him again, Dom's landing some shots as well. Cody pressures him into the cage and tries to duck for a takedown. Dom is still bleeding bad. I've now accepted Cruz is

My thoughts: Ok that was bad, Cruz probably lost. Lets hope for a robbery...we'll get a rematch and Dom can prepare better next time.

It was so stressful knowing that at any second Garbrandt just needed one hit to take him out. And that was what it was like to be a Cruz nuthugger yesterday

Last edited:
R2 - Cruz
R3 - Cody
R4 - Cody 10-8
R5 - Draw

R1 - I wasn't sure of, but I thought Cody edged it out just slightly.

I became a Garbrandt fan last night.

R2 - Cruz
R3 - Cody
R4 - Cody 10-8
R5 - Draw

R1 - I wasn't sure of, but I thought Cody edged it out just slightly.

R1 was super close. I gave it to Cruz based off championship merit. I gave 2 to Cruz, 3-4 were all cody, and maybe 5 to cruz since he did a bit more than Cody that round.

R1 was super close. I gave it to Cruz based off championship merit. I gave 2 to Cruz, 3-4 were all cody, and maybe 5 to cruz since he did a bit more than Cody that round.

It could have gone that way as well.

But even if it did, best case for Cruz would have been a draw, which in turn would have boiled up the media and fellow sherdoggers, and we would have been hearing 'Cruz is a fake champion' for about the next 6 months.

I was rooting for Cruz but I am happy with the outcome.

I don't like the way Cruz fights but he was nowhere near as sharp as he normally is, he looked very slow last night wonder if he had an injury?

Cody put on a show last night. Cruz made me even more of a fan of his as well, dude showed some resolve and heart to comeback from those knockdowns. The fight was complete mind fuck tbh Cody was the defensive counter puncher and Cruz was the one throwing wild flurries wtf? Fight of the year imo

I thought Cody won every round but Cruz can get 2 and 5 because he's the champ

Cody made me a huge fan last night, and I wanted him to beat Dom, but didn't think he'd do it so convincingly, and with such style.

I knew it was a clear 48-46 but was hoping same judges from Kim-Saffedine judged this fight and just give it to Dom by split decision.

Honestly though if that were an issue then Dillashaw would never have lost to Cruz.

I don't like the way Cruz fights but he was nowhere near as sharp as he normally is, he looked very slow last night wonder if he had an injury?
His opponent was larger than his past opponents and understood how to manage distance effectively. He also wasn't falling for Cruz"s feints despite Cruz continually going to the well with the same feints over and over again

I don't think he's looked nearly as fast or as in good shape ever since his come back. Go watch Cruz vs. Bowles, or Cruz vs. Jorgenson and compare his speed to the speed he's shown lately. It looks like he's at 70 percent of his speed at best. I don't think there's any improving that at this point of his career.

His opponent was larger than his past opponents and understood how to manage distance effectively. He also wasn't falling for Cruz"s feints despite Cruz continually going to the well with the same feints over and over again

Cody wasn't larger than Mizugaki or Bowles...Both of those guys were the same height as Cody, but with 3-5 more inches of reach and they're often considered Cruz's most impressive performances. Faber and TJ are only an inch shorter than Cody, but with 2 more inches of reach. Not to mention the 8 or so guys that Cruz beat at FW and LW.

The bolded part of your comment is absolutely true, though, with the exception of leg kicks—Dom was just winging those out there. His feints were pretty shitty last night. Bad performance by Dom and great performance by Cody

I'm loving the honesty. Sherdog needs more of these posts.

Back