In the long run..

fighting.spirit

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
In the long run [meaning after one has got down the basics of BJJ and has a good understanding of the techniques, perhaps advanced blue] should one focus on trying to improve the aspects of his game he feels are the weakest, or strengthen/ polish the aspects he is good at? Especially for competition.

Thanks.

4-6 weeks out from a tournament I'll roll/drill with competition in mind. That's when I focus on my strengths and try and develop a game plan based on what I'm feeling most confident with.

I also try and only roll with guys close to my own ability/weight. The rest of the year I just work to improve and will roll with anyone.

You are only as strong as your weakest link. According to your criteria, I would work on my weaknesses while trying to refine the moves that I already know instead of trying to learn everything under the sun. That is not to say that you wont try to learn anything new, but rather put more focus on refinement and weaknesses.

I love these BJJ philosophy type questions.

I think it depends how specific of weaknesses you are talking about. One should always be working toward well-roundedness and improving upon weaknesses, but you don't have to get too specific about them. For example, you need to always work on both your top game and your guard game, both your submissions and your escapes, and your takedowns, etc. You should be striving to make all those aspects of your game equally good, even if most people fail at it.

But you don't really have to think like "My weakness is this sweep from butterfly guard, I need to work on it" or "seoinage is my worst throw, I need to practice it" because there are so many techniques out there that vary in effectiveness for different personalities and body types that it's not possible or really even desirable, to be equally good at all of them. You need to be good at every position, but not every technique. You just need to have a couple of techniques that work for you, and can be chained together, from every position.

Back