In the future will MMA have to become safer?

Dublin

Dont fear me
@Blue
Reaction score
as we know there is a lot of words about concussions nowadays and since MMA involves getting punched in the face will we see some changes brought in the future to try to make concussions not as common. Things like kicks to the head, striking while an opponent is down, stockton slap, flying knees etc may be banned for being too dangerous? What do you think?

how is the stockton slap dangerous? only dangerous to a certain inflated irish ego I suppose...

> Read thread title

> came to post serious response

> read actual thread, clearly not serious

So my answer is: Potato

{<hhh]

There is only three things I can see witch will make MMA safer.
One, Proper regulation, everywhere
Two, High quality Referring
Last, smarter traning. What that is, i dont't know but they will hopefully figure it out as the sport evolves.

i hope they get rid of trash talk the octogon should be a safe space where no insults are allowed

giphy.gif

I could see requiring headgear. It would take a lot away from submissions but it might put the public at ease.

Ironically the Olympics have gone the other way and discontinued the use of head gear.

There is only three things I can see witch will make MMA safer.
One, Proper regulation, everywhere
Two, High quality Referring
Last, smarter traning. What that is, i dont't know but they will hopefully figure it out as the sport evolves.

Yes all of those help, but people getting kicked, kneed and punched into unconsciousness is a feature of the sport. It isn't safe, it can't be safe in its current format and I'd actively discourage anyone I know from being involved. I can't morally justify even watching MMA, but I still do it.

as we know there is a lot of words about concussions nowadays and since MMA involves getting punched in the face will we see some changes brought in the future to try to make concussions not as common. Things like kicks to the head, striking while an opponent is down, stockton slap, flying knees etc may be banned for being too dangerous? What do you think?

In the future humans will be facing lions and shit with futuristic type swords/melee weapons/shields.

Mma is very safe actually

Yes there are the freak cracked skull accidents I guess you can call them

UFC puts on 50 shows roughly with 22 fighters a show.

1100 fights a year. Out of that maybe 2 or 3 people suffer a serious injury.

Thats as safe as a condom if u ask me.

only if the UFC is bought out again by Canadian owners...

Yes all of those help, but people getting kicked, kneed and punched into unconsciousness is a feature of the sport. It isn't safe, it can't be safe in its current format and I'd actively discourage anyone I know from being involved. I can't morally justify even watching MMA, but I still do it.
The athletes want you to enoy it, that's one of many resons they do it, to entertain.
Also, hopefully a fighters union is in the making, so they wont fight for pennies anymore, that would help a bit.

I guess you could make a case that society is getting "sissified." Boxing reduced title fights from 15 to 12 rounds. Fighting is down in the NHL, and so on. If we look at it a bit broader, beating up gays is generally frowned upon.

On the other hand, the broad appeal of the UFC shows a society more tolerant of violence. I do not think this could have happened in the 1970s or 1980s, when society allegedly was not as "sissified." The American people used to be vehemently against torture. Now torture is a controversial issue, meaning there are people strongly against and strongly for.

The big issue I see with mma is the strikes to downed opponents. The most dangerous aspect are the hits to the head of somebody already is knocked out. There is no easy way around that in mma, like in other fight sports. So far the public seems fine with it.

No, eventually society will just make peace with the fact that sports fuck you up. We're not there yet but it's that or give up all forms of manly competition. And sports have been part of humans for all human history, it's in our DNA. So, that's not going away.

they shouldnt change a thing, its a fight, ofcourse its "dangerous" if it wasn't they might aswell fight with inflatable hammers

with dangerous I mean there are risks, its actually quite safe

There will have to be a death in modern regulated MMA for safety measures to be put in place. Or some NFL-type epidemic of brain injuries.

Back