In retrospect PRIDE/JMMA as a whole is very overrated

Threetrees

He/Him
@plutonium
Reaction score
I feel like most new fans get the sentiment that is expressed in the title.
Romanticism aside, Pride, DEEP, Dream etc were always second tier organizations when compared to the UFC.

But older fans seem, to me at least, to still attempt to combat this fact with poor arguments and revisionist history.
Much of PRIDE’s appeal relied on the flash, the pro-wrestling esque pop and circumstance that made every PRIDE event seem grander and more important than it probably was.

I think the other thing that makes older fans see PRIDE as a special organization were the tournaments, and that I can’t deny. But compared to the UFC PRIDE has always been a top heavy (and I mean that both in divisions, and in terms of teh divisions themselves) organization with a handful of elite guys and a bunch of cans.

Could you imagine in the UFC an elite HW fighting a guy in a Lucha libre mask? Look closer and you’ll see even era for era looking at the ENTIRE roster of both orgs the UFC has always had superior talent.

So when you’re looking historically at these two organizations and you’re thinking about MMA in the 2000s, just keep it in mind that the best MMA has always been competed in the USA.

No

PRIDE perfectly lives up to its legend, UFC to me always feels third rate compared to PRIDE.

How can you watch that and not shit your pants?

kpKPmCc.gif

I agree, Pride had a LOT of sketchy shit go down as well.

No

PRIDE perfectly lives up to its legend, second only to NHB.

How can you watch that and not shit your pants?

You’re only proving my point

In terms of raw excitement for sure it was amazing
Its a pro wrestling show

In terms of quality MMA it was very top heavy

Compare top 10 Pride HWs to the UFC top 10 and that's where it mostly comes from coupled with the tournament's and several of the top 10 p4p fighters at the time competing in Japan including #1.

PRIDE's HWs were better than the UFC by a bit.

I think if the UFCs HW roster vs PRIDE's HW roster at 2002-2004 the top guys would be trading defeats on each side and no one would be unscathed.

Your whole existence is overrated. Everything from your troll account, to threads, to way of thinking lol

Pride was majestic.

You’re only proving my point

In terms of raw excitement for sure it was amazing
Its a pro wrestling show

In terms of quality MMA it was very top heavy
How many UFC fights were bigger than Fedor vs Cro Cop at the height of their respective powers?

Or Rampage vs Wandy 1 and 2.

Sakuraba vs. Royce cemented the new generation of MMA, Wandy vs Cro Cop, The dominance of Shogun, the Brilliance of Big Nog.

I could go on and on about the legends of PRIDE.

They had gods among men in every single weight class, PRIDE promoted them, they fought regular, had tune up matches and had the huge ceremonies that made them feel bigger than any UFC fight ever.

Its just not close, MMA will never again reach the heights it did during the PRIDE era.

There was a point that Pride was neck and neck with the UFC. It was when fedor ruled HW and UFC sent Liddell over to fight Rampage but he got beat up. UFC was number one but it wasnt clear cut as you say. The MW and up was suspect.

There was a point that Pride was neck and neck with the UFC. It was when fedor ruled HW and UFC sent Liddell over to fight Rampage but he got beat up. UFC was number one but it wasnt clear cut as you say. The MW and up was suspect.
The MW division for sure was a weakness
I can concede this point

How many UFC fights were bigger than Fedor vs Cro Cop at the height of their respective powers?

Or Rampage vs Wandy 1 and 2.

Sakuraba vs. Royce cemented the new generation of MMA, Wandy vs Cro Cop, The dominance of Shogun, the Brilliance of Big Nog.

I could go on and on about the legends of PRIDE.

They had gods among men in every single weight class, PRIDE promoted them, they fought regular, had tune up matches and had the huge ceremonies that made them feel bigger than any UFC fight ever.

Its just not close, MMA will never again reach the heights it did during the PRIDE era.

This just informs my point about the spectacle
Flash over substance.

Back