In real life, how did fights between Chinese Martial Arts vs Japanese Martial Arts go?

Ogata

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Popped up in the recommendation in the latest UFC content and it got me wondering, back in the day, did Chinese martial arts ever prevail against Japanese Martial arts?

I mean, we have judo, jujitsu and karate in MMA and in abundance. But rarely do we see Chinese martial arts in MMA and even in china, there is an MMA fighter who claims he sucks at MMA and yet kicks every person who practices Tai Chi or any form of Chinese Martial Arts.

I find this video to be very disrespectful because Japanese people are great human beings with great martial arts style and they were demonized to shit and we were made to feel like their style is inferior because of nonsense like this:

EDIT:

Sorry I am not in a good state of mind right now. I had no idea to offend. I have deep respect for Japan and their culture which includes martial arts. I feel that they are vilified a bit much for the past mistakes of their ancestors.

Last edited:
Yes that's why I want to know how real life version went like...

Also shit like this is propaganda in real life.
Is it? Because when i watched this movie as a kid and as an adult,my only thought was "Wow Bruce lee is a bad ass" not "Wow chinese martial arts are so muich better than japanese, i am so butthurt!"

Its a movie.

This is not supposed to be realism. Do you have a heart attack when you watch pro wrestling?

Is it? Because when i watched this movie as a kid and as an adult,my only thought was "Wow Bruce lee is a bad ass" not "Wow chinese martial arts are so muich better than japanese, i am so butthurt!"

Its a movie.

This is not supposed to be realism. Do you have a heart attack when you watch pro wrestling?
Remember there is no age restriction on Sherdog. Quite possible this is a 10year old boy. They love these things

Its a movie.

In every movie they show that Japanese people are evil and bad. problem is, people say "Wow Bruce Lee is bad ass" because they assume it was him training in wing chun and that Japanese martial arts gets disrespected. Movies influence culture which affects real life.

I don't want pro wrestling, the hell is wrong with you!?

The Japanese raped and pillaged throughout China at one point.

Anytime there is a Chinese vs Japan competition the hate runs deep.

That's horrible and you are correct but the Chinese have wared against each other for centuries. You have the three dynasties that were at each others throats. Its not like they were some happy loving country. Humans in the past did horrible things to one another. its terrible and bad but you cant let that hate effect pop culture.

In every movie they show that Japanese people are evil and bad. problem is, people say "Wow Bruce Lee is bad ass" because they assume it was him training in wing chun and that Japanese martial arts gets disrespected. Movies influence culture which affects real life.

I don't want pro wrestling, the hell is wrong with you!?
I never assumed that. No one I ever met has assumed that. Its a fuckin movie. Most people in here who are intelligent hold japanese martial arts in high regard. I mean we see moves originated in japan on every MMA card. Most people interested in martial arts dont care at all wether it came from china or japan.

What the hell is wrong with YOU?

Well, this has nothing to do with MMA, but the Japanese invaded and conquered a large portion of China in the 30's, so I'd say their fighting spirit at least at that time was stronger and their soldiers were better trained.
They also fucked up Korea on several occasions (and other countries in that area).

The Japanese were a brutal, fanatical and merciless force. They are still hated by many Asians for the atrocities they committed.
This is also the reason why Bruce Lee likes to mock them. He got manhandled and ragdolled by Gene Lebell who is a Judo guy.

I never assumed that. No one I ever met has assumed that. Its a fuckin movie. Most people in here who are intelligent hold japanese martial arts in high regard. I mean we see moves originated in japan on every MMA card. Most people interested in martial arts dont care at all wether it came from china or japan.

What the hell is wrong with YOU?

Well then I apologize and I am not in the right state of mind right now with the current situation so I apologize if I came off in a bad way.

Reactions: HHJ
Lets ban any sort of competition between two ethnic groups in cinema. It offends people. Ban MMA too,while we are at it. Someone might get upset.

Chinese martial arts that are effective is Sanshou/Sanda. BJJ came from Japanese Jiu-jitsu, which is responsible for the submission grappling arts. Japanese have a head start on mma because they accepted it's ideology early on and the Chinese and other countries avoided it in favor of the national martial arts. They simply refused to compete and let mma evolve because it deals more with full contact compared to traditonal styles that don't. Also the influx of different styles made every style have to adjust in mma, and it continues to do so as mma keeps evolving.

Also the martial arts school challenges were real things back then. Bruce Lee was part of those challenges and that's what forced him to create his own style after seeing certain things in martial arts being ineffective in a real fight. Chinese vs Japanese martial arts was a huge rivalry during that time and they would constantly fight over supremacy. I would expect the original fights to look more like traditional martial arts fights - not so much wrestling, western boxing, or grappling. Single strike straight punches with lots of kicks from outside range, chops using the knife hand or backfist , and attempting throws and sweeps.

Last edited:
Back