In praise of cocao...a fine MDA post.

The Green and Black is remarkably tasty. It's the only one from Sisson's list that I've tried.

I often go with the Lindt 90% bar. It's smoother than their 85% bar.

I live in Panama, and up in the west side of the country they have large cacao plantations. A friend of mine who works with a cooperative there gets me 1/4 pound chunks of 100% cacao for a dollar. Cacao tea, mole, its a very versatile ingredient.

I live in Panama, and up in the west side of the country they have large cacao plantations. A friend of mine who works with a cooperative there gets me 1/4 pound chunks of 100% cacao for a dollar. Cacao tea, mole, its a very versatile ingredient.

yeah, i've got a mexican restaurant-- Oaxuca--up the street that specializes in moles.

i got the 6 mole sampler because i didn't really know what it was.

they also have corn smut--huitlacoche

i enjoyed the dinner tremendously

I can't remember the kinds they were, but one year my gf got me a few different dark chocolate bars from a place in Newmarket called "Everything Chocolate" I distinctly remember my two faves were ones with ginger and hot chili peppers incorporated into them. I am also a sucker for dark chocolate truffles. More sugar, but damn are they ever a decadent treat. I thought lavendar and green tea were interesting.

Lindt makes a pretty good 90% bar.

I must say, dark chocolate bars are quite delicious, but sadly they arent healthy for us. They are processed and full of tons of added sugar. What IS healthy though, is 100% RAW cacao. The problem with anything less then 100% and especially in chocolate bars, is that its all processed and they sweeten it emmensely because 100% raw cacao is quite bitter. I put ground raw cacao in my morning green smoothie and it wakes me up better then coffee! It also contains 5 x more iron then spinach and is bursting with magnesium.

Heres an easy green smoothie recipe, I drink this every morning:

2 cups of raw kale
1 cup of uncooked and unflavored oatmeal
10 frozen grapes
1/2 banana
1 tablespoon of ground 100% raw cacao
1 cup of water

Blend in a high powered blender for 60 seconds and it wont have any chunks (if you have a decent smoothie blender or high powered blender)

I must say, dark chocolate bars are quite delicious, but sadly they arent healthy for us. They are processed and full of tons of added sugar.

So your saying 85-99% bars are full of sugar? No. Sure theres a little, but not alot. I mean the whole bar of the 90% bar has 12g carbs total (3g of sugar). The 99% has only got 0.19g carbs total. The Green and Blacks 85% has 14.4g carbs total (6g sugar). As I said they are for the whole bar. Usually you'd only have like 4 squares per serving, maybe less (the lindtt squares which is my favourite bar are huge). So yeah, 100% has no sugar, but some of the lower % bars are still not "full of tons of added sugar".

BoundWithBlood is right though. 12 grams of carbohydrate from processed dark chocolate that's full of tons of added sugar is very unhealthy. Especially when consumed in moderation, and not as a staple of ones diet.

A unprocessed greens smoothie of 96.7 grams carbohydrate everyday is by far the healthier choice. Blending in no way processes anything. All that fast digesting liquid carbohydrate also does nothing to insulin and blood glucose. Enezmatic action of saliva, enzyme release, digestion preparation, etc. Chewing? Who the fuck needs that, it's totally overrated.

Dark chocolate is VERY unhealthy.

DarkChocolateIsEvilButCarbSmoothieHealthy.jpg

BoundWithBlood is right though. 12 grams of carbohydrate from processed dark chocolate that's full of tons of added sugar is very unhealthy. Especially when consumed in moderation, and not as a staple of ones diet.

A unprocessed greens smoothie of 96.7 grams carbohydrate everyday is by far the healthier choice. Blending in no way processes anything. All that fast digesting liquid carbohydrate also does nothing to insulin and blood glucose. Enezmatic action of saliva, enzyme release, digestion preparation, etc. Chewing? Who the fuck needs that, it's totally overrated.

Dark chocolate is VERY unhealthy.

I didnt even see the smoothie! I just got annoyed by the time he said that it was full of sugar and didnt bother to read the recipe. LOL mann 96.7 grams... glad we have that gem of a smoothie to get us going in the mornings. So much better than all that caffeine in my coffee....

I didnt even see the smoothie! I just got annoyed by the time he said that it was full of sugar and didnt bother to read the recipe. LOL mann 96.7 grams... glad we have that gem of a smoothie to get us going in the mornings. So much better than all that caffeine in my coffee....

Lets be fair, 13.9 of that is fiber. So only 82.8 is sugars and starches. Plus we can't be exact on proportions with what he gave us.

Lets be fair, 13.9 of that is fiber. So only 82.8 is sugars and starches. Plus we can't be exact on proportions with what he gave us.

Hahah true. But makes it just a teeny big ridiculous to be giving out about sugar in 85% chocolate.

Let's be fair here, the 85% Green and Black has 35 carbs per bar, and clocks in at a whopping 700 calories. Though a few squares every so often certainly won't kill you, it's probably not the best daily choice for a fat loss diet.

Homeboy's shake is pretty unimpressive though. No protein and no fat? C'mon.

Let's be fair here, the 85% Green and Black has 35 carbs per bar, and clocks in at a whopping 700 calories. Though a few squares every so often certainly won't kill you, it's probably not the best daily choice for a fat loss diet.

Homeboy's shake is pretty unimpressive though. No protein and no fat? C'mon.

While this may be true, we aren't talking about chocolate in this context. Which is why I pointed out in moderation and not as a staple of ones diet. But as an alternative indulgence, a treat.

I've seen no one in here comment on or recommend eating an entire chocolate bar daily, and in fact many noted eating small portions or single squares sparingly. Likewise, no one is suggesting eating entire chocolate bars daily while trying to lose body fat.

Nothing in the entire summation of the universe could be wrong with a bit of this from time to time:

slideshow_954928_darkchocolate.jpg

EDIT: Watch the flaming, guys. --XT

Last edited by a moderator:
Back