1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

In praise of cocao...a fine MDA post.

Discussion in 'Dieting / Supplement Discussion' started by XTrainer, Aug 6, 2010.

1. XTrainer

XTrainer Red Belt

It's common, morning-show-health-segment knowledge that, in the right forms, chocolate can be quite healthful. Many people abuse that little kernel of truth to justify selling and eating some pretty outrageous stuff, but here are some sensible options.

Out of these, I can only testify to the deliciousness of the "Green and Black." I've had that bar, as well as another type of 85% bar. Bear in mind, I occasionally snack on baking chocolate squares (that would be 100%), so you might want to take my advice with a grain of salt :icon_chee

The 5 Best Dark Chocolate Bars in the World | Mark's Daily Apple

Last edited: Aug 6, 2010
  2. IDRISCKY

IDRISCKY Purple Belt

Yes, baking chocolate is fucking awesome. Pop a square in your mouth and let it melt. It's so cheap too.

I've not had the Dagoba Eclipse, but they make some pretty good chocolate. I've had their Mint Bar, Roseberry Bar, and Lavender Blueberry Bar. They were pretty good. I've only had them one time though, I'm not a big sweetened chocolate eater.

They did however misspell their name. They forgot the H on the end. Master Yoda is not pleased.

3. IronMaidenfan#1

IronMaidenfan#1 Brown Belt

I've become a massive dark chocolate fan these days. Green and Blacks are the main one I go for, normally the 72% to be honest, I don't mind the 85% but it's a tiny bit too bitter for me. I think anything over 70% is a fair treat and not so laiden in sugar.

On Thursday, this week my colleague Kelly bought in a bar of dark chocolate called, 'Cadbury's Bournville'. Bad shit guys, avoid it at all costs. Basically, it is 39% cocoa and full of sugar. The thing is that every so often if I really want a nice bar of milk chocolate, I'll treat myself to one but I generally prefer dark over 70%. Back to this bar, it didn't seem to know what it wanted to be as it was heavy cocoa but full of sugar. Bad stuff guys, as I say, avoid it. There's a nice one I had a while back called, 'Delight' - organic and 70%+ - I recommend.

4. XTrainer

XTrainer Red Belt

^I was pounding cocoa powder and baking chocolate long before I experimented with any of the super-dark chocolates, so even 85% stuff (the highest I've had) doesn't strike me as bitter at all.

I'd like to try some of the other ones, though--Robb Wolf talks about a 90%+ bar, I think, on his podcast.

5. IronMaidenfan#1

^^^^^^
    You are probably just a bit further ahead than me on this then, I only really got on the cocoa train about a year or so ago. Same with nuts too for that matter. Ditching the typical Western diet and going paleo is genuinely the best thing I've done.

By the way, it's not that the 85% is super bitter (and to an extent I like bitterness), it's just a tiny bit beyond how I like it.

6. ss4vegeta1

ss4vegeta1 Blue Belt

I absolutely love chocolate, cacao, dark chocolate. However I am not sure why when I ate the dark chocolate this year it so strong on me it acts like a cup of coffee and acts like a diuretic for me. Also isn't cacao high in oxalates? Which increases calcium excretion from the body. People can get the steric acid from butter.

7. IronMaidenfan#1

Wow, well that I have never encountered before. To be honest, I don't find coffee a diuretic, so I certainly don't find dark chocolate a diuretic.

Interesting post though, I'll give you that.

8. sickc0d3r

sickc0d3r Black Belt

I eat dark chocolate before workouts all the time, green and blacks are excellent. Baking chocolate is too hardcore for me to eat straight though. I put it in chili and other rich red sauces.

9. IDRISCKY

IDRISCKY Purple Belt

Same. You ever try cocoa nibs/beans? They're good, awesome in trail mixes too. I tried some cocoa nibs and coconut like Robb mentioned having on his podcast one time. Totally awesome.

I haven't tried the Trader Joe's dark chocolate he keeps mentioning though. Nearest Trader Joe's to me is VERY small, past the local organic hippy grocery store and nearest Whole Foods, so it is kind of out of the way and not a store I shop at normally.

10. Big H

Big H Blue Belt

I thought only old people liked dark chocolate.

11. Mooney

Mooney Blue Belt

Im a big fan of the Lindtt 90% bar. For some reason i find green and blacks 85% tastes a bit sweet, like sweeter than other 85% bars.

12. oyaji poi

oyaji poi oyaji belt

I like eating a 75 or 80% piece of chocolate while drinking a South American coffee.

It's a great treat, supremely satisfying.

13. IDRISCKY

IDRISCKY Purple Belt

That's funny because when I was real young and didn't know what dark chocolate really was. My Grandma loved it and I thought it tasted like ass whenever she gave me some.

14. pliftkl

pliftkl Green Belt

Some of us ARE old people (at least I feel that way at 40 sometimes).

15. Blackice

Blackice Orange Belt

As far as I'm concerned dark chocolate IS the only chocolate worth consuming. I personally like to enjoy it with a good port. They go great together. I love how Mark described those bars in his blog. He sounded like a total foodie which I can certainly appreciate. The dark chocolate in the chili sounds daring, but I also thought that way about the chocolate sauce and duck and that was pretty amazing, so I'll have to give it a try in the winter. For some reason I'm thinking that it'll add a tremendous amount of depth.

16. IDRISCKY

IDRISCKY Purple Belt

I read the MDA post when it was first posted, but it didn't really motivate me to get chocolate. This thread for some reason did though.

I went to the local grocery store to buy Dagoba, Eclipse preferably. But it looked like they stopped carrying Dagoba. I did however buy 4 different dark chocolate bars. Lindt 85%, which isn't bad, but I'd rather have baking chocolate instead. Green and Black

17. Blackice

Blackice Orange Belt

18. IDRISCKY

IDRISCKY Purple Belt

Me too. It seems most of their stuff is 72. They have a bunch of other flavors though. Their website is under construction or I'd say try finding retailers in Canada on there.

Amazon.com has it. Try Amazon.ca. They have 10 count individually wrapped chocolate that isn't too bad prices wise.

Edit: I haven't done the price per oz/gram math. But Amazon.com only has 12 count boxes of the bars at $30 a box. So they'd be expensive just to sample.

19. immovablestone

immovablestone Purple Belt

20. IronMaidenfan#1

Wow, there's much love for dark chocolate in this thread! lol