In Phuket Nov 25 - Dec 25 training at Suwit

unregisturd

The human grappling dummy
@Green
Reaction score
Hey folks,

I've searched the forums and found some favorable reviews of Suwit Gym in Phuket, this along with their competitive prices and good reviews elsewhere has prompted me to select this gym as where I'll be training in Phuket for a month.

A few questions:

Anyone been there recently? (last 12 months) If so, what was your experience like? Any tips?

What should I bring in regards to training equipment? (I have my cup, shorts x 4, mouth guard x 2, wraps x 2)

If I need to supply my own gloves should I just buy some windy/twins ones when I arrive in Thailand?

At the moment my technique is 4/10 (haven't trained in over 10 years) and my cardio sucks anus (smoking for over 20 years...) I'm already training hard on my cardio do you think it will be worthwhile to train technique prior to leaving?

Are there any special vaccinations I should get prior to leaving? Or will the standard ones be sufficient?

I currently train BJJ and would like to train at least twice a week while in Phuket, can anyone recommend a decent MMA/BJJ place?

Thanks in advance for your input.

If you are stopping in Bangkok you can pick up a pair of Boon bag gloves for 750 baht.

Bring a back up credit card. The ATM ate mine last time I was there and I had to get moneygrams from home...which sucked.

You might think you want to train BJJ while in Thailand, but the fact is if you are training hard twice a day at the Muay Thai gym, you will not have the energy to train BJJ.

Are there any special vaccinations I should get prior to leaving? Or will the standard ones be sufficient?

What do you consider "the standard ones"? I'd certainly have Hep A/B vaccinations in addition to normal first world vaccinations.

If you are stopping in Bangkok you can pick up a pair of Boon bag gloves for 750 baht.

Bring a back up credit card. The ATM ate mine last time I was there and I had to get moneygrams from home...which sucked.

You might think you want to train BJJ while in Thailand, but the fact is if you are training hard twice a day at the Muay Thai gym, you will not have the energy to train BJJ.
Thanks for the advice :)

What do you consider "the standard ones"? I'd certainly have Hep A/B vaccinations in addition to normal first world vaccinations.

Yes, sorry I meant in addition to the normal first world variety.

So far I think I've been told to get shots for:
* Hepatitis A
* Hepatitis B
* Cholera
* Japanese Encephalitis
* Rabies
* Typhoid Fever
* Yellow Fever

Should that cover it?

Thanks

So far I think I've been told to get shots for:
* Hepatitis A
* Hepatitis B
* Cholera
* Japanese Encephalitis
* Rabies
* Typhoid Fever
* Yellow Fever

obviously you'll want to discuss this with your doctor and not just take the word of some guy from the internet, but i talked about this at length with my doctor about going to thailand and she told me that the japanese encephalitis immunization is really only necessary if you plan to travel to rural areas of the country. rabies also is one you probably should get, but it costs a fucking fortune and if you get bitten you have 48 hours to get to the hospital before you're really fucked.

I've been to Thailand 3 times and never got any shots. Worst sickness I got was food poisoning from the hotel restaurant. Unless you go to rural places its not really necessary.

Edit: And theres no shots for AIDS or herpes so tarp up.:p

If you really want to do some BJJ/MMA while at Suwit. It's only a small motorbike ride to TMT.

Work on your fitness as much as you can before you go, the heat sucks all your stamina. Both timew Ive trained in Thailand Ive gone there felling reasonably fit, but even training in the morning before it gets too hot, I find Im soaked in sweat after a couple of rounds of skipping. Work on your cardio, and drink plenty of fluids.

Work on your fitness as much as you can before you go, the heat sucks all your stamina. Both timew Ive trained in Thailand Ive gone there felling reasonably fit, but even training in the morning before it gets too hot, I find Im soaked in sweat after a couple of rounds of skipping. Work on your cardio, and drink plenty of fluids.

All the cardio work in the world won't prepare you for training in that heat. You're going to feel like shit for the first 2-3 days, no matter how fit you are, unless you're been training in a similar environment.

Atleast you won't have to deal with the jetlag. Coming from the US, my performance the 3 days of training is pretty much crap due to the time difference.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
herrsackbauer
Back