In need of few questions answering!

gazhatton

White Belt
Reaction score
When working in the low rep ranges (singles to triples) how many sets are recommended not including the working up sets? What do most guys here do/think?

Also how many reps are best for "power" moves like powercleans/hang cleans etc?

Also while im on here if i could get some advice on set/rep schemes for this routine..

Squat
DB Lunge
Bench
Weighted Dips
Inverted Rows

Deadlift
Hyperextension
SOHP
DB clean & press
Hangcleans

Squat variation
Powercleans
Barbell Step ups
Romanian Deadlifts
Pullups

Im not training in any specific sport at the moment just want to get as strong as possible. Had been doing WS4SB for a while but really wanted to squat & deadlift more (as opposed to one 1 once per week) cos my squats not as strong as my bench & DL.

Any advice on the routine also welcome

When working in the low rep ranges (singles to triples) how many sets are recommended not including the working up sets? What do most guys here do/think?

Also how many reps are best for "power" moves like powercleans/hang cleans etc?

Also while im on here if i could get some advice on set/rep schemes for this routine..

Squat
DB Lunge
Bench
Weighted Dips
Inverted Rows

Deadlift
Hyperextension
SOHP
DB clean & press
Hangcleans

Squat variation
Powercleans
Barbell Step ups
Romanian Deadlifts
Pullups

Im not training in any specific sport at the moment just want to get as strong as possible. Had been doing WS4SB for a while but really wanted to squat & deadlift more (as opposed to one 1 once per week) cos my squats not as strong as my bench & DL.

Any advice on the routine also welcome
I used 3 to 4 sets.

I would add 15 or more reps for power(muscular endurance).

Google "prilepin's table", it will give you a pretty good idea of how many reps and sets to use at different intensities. With experience you can adjust from there. It works with "power" exercises as well, but you want to take the lower number of suggested reps per set.

I think your routine has a bit too much. And in addition to figuring out what reps/sets/intensity to use, you also need to figure out how you plan to progress. Have you considered a Bill Starr routine or Texas Method?

I used 3 to 4 sets.

I would add 15 or more reps for power(muscular endurance).

Power is not muscular endurance.

TS for explosive movements you can do the lifts in the 1-5 rep range for 5 ish sets at around 80%.

As a general rule, follow Prilepin's chart unless you have good reason not to.

image001.png

Google "prilepin's table", it will give you a pretty good idea of how many reps and sets to use at different intensities. With experience you can adjust from there. It works with "power" exercises as well, but you want to take the lower number of suggested reps per set.

I think your routine has a bit too much. And in addition to figuring out what reps/sets/intensity to use, you also need to figure out how you plan to progress. Have you considered a Bill Starr routine or Texas Method?

yeah but being a complete "know-it-all" thought i could stand on the shoulders of giants! only joking, yeah i have looked at them but was worried it wasnt enough, i was used to doing 6-7 excercises in a session so it was difficult to drop stuff i enjoy doing, i guess i was scared of throwing something away. thanks for the advice i'll look into it.

TS for explosive movements you can do the lifts in the 1-5 rep range for 5 ish sets at around 80%.

image001.png

thanks a lot, thats defo helpful

image001.png

Power can be explosiveness and muscular endurance...Depend on your physical training.If you train for a long period of time.Power can come to play.Showing that you,have the energy to keep it going.

Power can be explosiveness and muscular endurance...Depend on your physical training.If you train for a long period of time.Power can come to play.Showing that you,have the energy to keep it going.

You need to look up the definition of power in regards to training.

I've found this article to be a somewhat helpful way of beginning to wrap my head around how to translate the table into programming.

http://ambesc.com/lifting/prelipins.pdf

But it still seems to require a lot more experience to put that information into a useful program.

Making up your own definitions to words is retarded, and it makes people think you're retarded. Stop it.

Too much stuff going on, I would follow something like starting strength since it has you squatting alot. I really like 5/3/1 but i personally think it is more a intermediate level program and you can get faster gains out of starting strength as a new person.

Also stick to the basic squat, deadlift, bench, ohp, DB/BOR, chins/dips. Then throw in assistance at the end to cover weaknesses

I've found this article to be a somewhat helpful way of beginning to wrap my head around how to translate the table into programming.

http://ambesc.com/lifting/prelipins.pdf

But it still seems to require a lot more experience to put that information into a useful program.

I have been using this to decide how many extra sets I can get away with after my rep out set on 5/3/1. It works pretty good. I try to stay under an inol of 1.5. My last workout I hit an inol of 2.8 (around there), and I have been sore as fuck since.

It is really helpful in calculating when I want to do singles, doubles, and triples.

Back