In MMA, which grapplers pick up complimentary grappling arts quicker?

xMTDx

Bushido Flow
@Green
Reaction score
Does the elite wrestler develop a strong submission game quicker than a high level BJJ player becomes a skilled wrestler? Do judokas transition to wrestling and the ground game quicker than both? Can Luta Livre be a strong alternative for developing well roundednes in MMA grappling?

Thoughts, arguments and 'flamming' welcome, if not encouraged.

I think wrestlers submission defense better than anyone. Obviously there are people like Sonnen, but I'm thinking more the likes of Weidman, who is only a purple yet managed to shut down Galvao.

Does the elite wrestler develop a strong submission game quicker than a high level BJJ player becomes a skilled wrestler? Do judokas transition to wrestling and the ground game quicker than both? Can Luta Livre be a strong alternative for developing well roundednes in MMA grappling?

Thoughts, arguments and 'flamming' welcome, if not encouraged.

elite wrestler has all the tools to develop a strong subgame, way faster than a bjj guy has to become a competent wrestler (if each one goes to compite in ther others sport) Luta livre is basically just bjj no gi with a bigger focus on tds and they roll without stupid IBJJF rules... I think the most versatile dude is the wrestler, but at the same time, the most incomplete grappler by its own...

I wont coment on judo, because I simply do not like it (train or watch), not that is not a good art, just a personal taste.

I think wrestlers submission defense better than anyone. Obviously there are people like Sonnen, but I'm thinking more the likes of Weidman, who is only a purple yet managed to shut down Galvao.

Agreed. And it's more than just Weidman. Guys like Jones, Fitch, Hughes, and Davis are phenomonal all around grapplers too.

Back