in exactly what ratio would u lift explosively versus lift at a moderate/slow pace?

S

sang12345

Ok so I have learned that lifting fast and explosively helps with the actual movements, etc you would make in MMA.

so just wondering how would u divide this type of explosive fast lifting up with slow/moderate?

do you guys' do this based on personal preference?

We don't do slow lifting around these parts. Everything is moved with the intent to move it quickly, even if it's slow.

thanks for the reply.

so basically...all of the lifting that you do is done with the intent of speed?

thanks for the reply.

so basically...all of the lifting that you do is done with the intent of speed?

Yes.

If the weight is really heavy the bar might not actually move that quickly but it should still be moving as quickly as possible.

For me every lift I do I try to go as heavy and fast as possible.

Whats already said if at the end of a movement the weight continues so it jerks your joints apart and you feel a pulling sensation (bench pulling in the elbows) just go up in weight until it goes away. You can also open your hand a bit at the top of the motion and let it go free for half an inch if necessary (don't have your elbows locked when you catch it) some will say thats bad too though. I have this happen on warm up sets frequently.

Whats already said if at the end of a movement the weight continues so it jerks your joints apart and you feel a pulling sensation (bench pulling in the elbows) just go up in weight until it goes away. You can also open your hand a bit at the top of the motion and let it go free for half an inch if necessary (don't have your elbows locked when you catch it) some will say thats bad too though. I have this happen on warm up sets frequently.

101089d1227213488-studio-robbery-lot-neumann-tube-microphones-other-things-stolen-laser_cat.jpg

Laser Cat does not like your answer

sorry..i didnt really understand that last bit about the jerking? the first thing you said about when at the end of the movement it jerks my elbows. i dont really undderstand.

Last question, So at the end of a movement do i do kind of an intense "pull".. i dont know if you guys elaborated on this but..what i mean is when im almost finishing do i do kind of a super "shrug" or "push" to make it seem like im tryin to punch through or pull? i dont know how else to explain this.

I know this may sound really dumb to you guys but I'm asking this question based on this..you know at the gym most of the dudes there do their weights pretty slowly and chill..AHA and this may have you guys rollin on the floor but on the flip side i sometimes see those stocky, wrestler-lookin dudes come in and they seem to lift the weights super hardcore, and it LOOKs like they're goiin more intense, and at the end of their movemetns looks like their going almost 160% doing a sort of super "push" or "pull" like i said.

IF what i asked is true, how would i do this for a military press? just goin full throttle? no extra "push" or "intensity" at the end? seems like it would be hard to do that with this

The first thing I thought of when I saw the thread title was:

sorry..i didnt really understand that last bit about the jerking? the first thing you said about when at the end of the movement it jerks my elbows. i dont really undderstand.

Last question, So at the end of a movement do i do kind of an intense "pull".. i dont know if you guys elaborated on this but..what i mean is when im almost finishing do i do kind of a super "shrug" or "push" to make it seem like im tryin to punch through or pull? i dont know how else to explain this.

I know this may sound really dumb to you guys but I'm asking this question based on this..you know at the gym most of the dudes there do their weights pretty slowly and chill..AHA and this may have you guys rollin on the floor but on the flip side i sometimes see those stocky, wrestler-lookin dudes come in and they seem to lift the weights super hardcore, and it LOOKs like they're goiin more intense, and at the end of their movemetns looks like their going almost 160% doing a sort of super "push" or "pull" like i said.

IF what i asked is true, how would i do this for a military press? just goin full throttle? no extra "push" or "intensity" at the end? seems like it would be hard to do that with this

don't listen to the jerking / hyper extending your joints advice or whatever he was saying. he was either joking or completely wrong. Some small cheating is acceptable, when you're trying to bang out the last few reps if needed. But most strength athletes don't even go to failure during their sets so the form should not falter too much. Intensity is good, but remember you're trying to build strength not look cool on the gym, so using shitty form to move weight that is too heavy for you is bad.

I think you bring up a good point -- for many people, push exercises with lighter poundages can be performed so explosively that in order to hold onto the bar you have to stop the bar and reverse its direction very fast - sometimes so fast that the elbow(s) can start to hyperextend.

I'e had issues with this on bench press.

However, I don't think the answer is "add more weight." I try to do all my warm-up sets explosively, including several sets with poundages about 20% to 50% of my one-rep maximum.

For me, the answer was "ease up a little and determine how much explosion you need to get the bar about halfway to lockout before it starts slowing down."

That approach has pretty much stopped my hyperextension issues and still allowed some explosiveness.

Also, I would not want to release and catch a barbell during a benching session. I don't care how light it is, if something goes awry and you don't catch it, or you catch it wrong, injury will result.

i try to do a 4-1 ratio. the 4 second negative makes it hard to use a massive weight and i stay to around 6 reps. i read about this ratio somewhere and i have just gone with that. every body is differently so you will have to experiment. im primarily explosive but trade off with conditioning and chances are you are different.

i try to do a 4-1 ratio. the 4 second negative makes it hard to use a massive weight and i stay to around 6 reps. i read about this ratio somewhere and i have just gone with that. every body is differently so you will have to experiment. im primarily explosive but trade off with conditioning and chances are you are different.

What the fuck?

Other than some sick love for DOMS, why?

Chaimberg has his athletes using a 1:4 ratio (with some exercises anyway).

If you're that worried about 'jerking' weights or whatever buy some bands or even bench INTO the pins on a power rack.

Occasional tempo method training at 2-2, at or near 50% 1RM for conditioning. Other than that it's all as fast as possible.

I just pray to god I can lift the god damn weight up and down for 5 reps at a time. Whatever method works in doing so is what I like.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Santos FC 1912
Back