IN DEPTH Review: Rafael Lovato Jr Lucky Gi in White

Gannas, what is your build type. Reason I am asking is because the A2 sizes on these gis seem to be smaller on the OTM chart than other gis.

I'm 155-158 about 5'7'', sort of thin with some what broad shoulders. I've got more of a runners body, i.e. no big muscles :D

THis is the sizing on the Lovato, so definatley A3 was gonna be too big and A1 too small.

SIZE CHART

A1 5

6' 150-155lb - A2 top fits perfect without shrinking, pants are too short but that's the story of my life

awesome review man you do reviews the way they should be done.I just got one the the new batch black Luckys I love it.

Hmmm...I am looking to order one of these too. I am 5'9" - 200 LBs. I wonder If I should go for A3 or A4? what do you guys who have this gi think, since I am in between sizes?

Im gonna order this gi but I'm wondering what size to go with. Im 5'5" and around 140-145. I have a muscular build. Do I go with an A1 or A2?

When you look at sizing charts and they only list one weight, is that the max weight or the min weight?

6' 150-155lb - A2 top fits perfect without shrinking, pants are too short but that's the story of my life

Are you talking about the a2 in the lovato gi? I want to order one and I'm about 6' -6'1-" ish 155. But they only have sizes A1, A2,A3. According to the chart Im in between an A3 5

I'm 5'6" and I fluctuate from 160-170ish (depending on time of year, if there's a competition coming up, if I've been lifting)

According to the size chart, I'm too heavy for A2 and too short for A3. Will the A2 be too snug or will I manage? Do I go with A3 and try to shrink it? I'd rather it be a little on the snug side than be swimming in my gi.

I'm 5'6" and I fluctuate from 160-170ish (depending on time of year, if there's a competition coming up, if I've been lifting)

According to the size chart, I'm too heavy for A2 and too short for A3. Will the A2 be too snug or will I manage? Do I go with A3 and try to shrink it? I'd rather it be a little on the snug side than be swimming in my gi.

Im 5'5" and am about 150 with a muscular build and I'm wearing an A1. But I am right at the top of the A1 size. That being said I cold wash the gi and hang dry to prevent shrinking. Gi fits great, sleeves might be a tiny bit short for competition use but I like the fit.

Im 5'5" and am about 150 with a muscular build and I'm wearing an A1. But I am right at the top of the A1 size. That being said I cold wash the gi and hang dry to prevent shrinking. Gi fits great, sleeves might be a tiny bit short for competition use but I like the fit.

Thanks! Now I know to definitely go with A2.

im finally gunna cave and buy this gi for my birthday this month..hopefully they still have an a3 left at otm..

following the month-bump:
While they look and sound like kickass gear, all that vegas-looking patchwork makes you look like a hooker. An expensive hooker.

While they look and sound like kickass gear, all that vegas-looking patchwork makes you look like a hooker. An expensive hooker.

get ready for a member named walrus to go apeshit on you, SquidKing

following the month-bump:

clowns like this dont even need to be acknowledged but screw it i gotta ask, if u dislike "flashy" gis as you call them and think they make people look like hookers, what even possessed u to read a review about one?

pbelt2009.jpg

^^this guy dosent look like a hooker..he looks like a national champion to me...but to each their own i guess..

2 things I don't get about Lucky Gis....

1 - The outrageous amount of shrinkage in the gi. How the hell can anyone work out what size to by when it can shrink by that much? OTM need to state on their size charts whether the measurements refer to the size before or after washing and drying.

2 - The fact that it's not preshrunk. Why the f**k is a gi that costs that much not preshrunk? For $100 less you can get a preshrunk Koral, but yet OTM can't do it with the Lucky Gis? That's just f**king ridiculous and frankly inexcusable. There's now way that anyone should pay that much for a gi and yet end up with something unwearable after 2 washes because it's shrunk so much. Really guys, spend less effort on the embroidery and get the basics right.

James

Got this gi today,..hands down this is the best darn gi i ever had (i have howard,gameness,keiko and atama)!It looks flashy so what ! It feels fantastic,comfortable and its very light. Highly recommend 2 anyone,...

Hi, I'm thinking of getting a Lucky Gi, maybe even two of them. If I grab one I think I am going to get the White/Green one, if I grab another it would be either the Lovato or the Garcia, haven't decided yet. Anyway I have a bunch of questions you might be able to help answer:

1) What size would be good for me in the white/green? the lovato? the garcia? I am 5'5" and usually hover between 170-180. My upper body is bigger than my lower body.. I wear a size 38 pants, XL or L shirt, 16 - 16 1/2 neck, and in a suit I am a 44 short. I have been told to go by weight because I could always shrink it in the wash if the pants are too long, but I'd rather ask someone who has owned these types of gis.

2) How do I color-fast it? If I use Retayne and color-fast it the first wash, do I only wash it on cold? am I not supposed to dry in a hot drying machine? Do I remove the rope-string for the pants and do that separately?

3) How do I shrink it? Do I wash Cold then dry hot? Or do I wash Cold/Hot and dry hot, or air dry? etc. How much will it shrink? I know these are a lot of questions, but I don't want to end up dropping $250 on a gi just to have it end up not fitting me.

4) What's the difference between the Lovato and the Garcia in terms of feel, weight, construction, etc.? I have heard the inside of the Lovato is super soft.. is the Garcia as soft?

I'm planning on ordering at least one either this Friday or next week.. any help/info is greatly appreciated.. thanks in advance!

Back