In Defense of Kimbo

NHB7

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
Yes, Kimbo gassed and looked sloppy last night. But:

1. Kimbo was a YouTube sensation for fighting out of shape nobodies and looking like a badass doin it. He didn't start MMA until he was in his mid-late 30s. He only has a highly public career because we all wanted to see him try MMA and we keep tuning in because we keep wanting to see him try.

2. He has completely lived up to expectations. If you watched his youtubes and had to predict how well he's do in MMA, you'd think, "Well, he'd potentially be a threat for the first minute, will gas quickly and is probably complete garbage on the ground."

3. Kimbo actually showed heart last night. What??? Yes, obviously he was gassed, arguably more so than Dada, but he got up off the mat, and stood up off the stool each time and kept walking forward and kept throwing punches. Albeit by the middle of round two, landing butterflies generated more power than his punches, but he kept trying.

4. This was literally a glorified YouTube backyard brawl. That's where both the guys come from, that's the reason the fight was made, so if you were expecting more than a clumsy backyard brawl fight, that is kind of your own fault.

No one dislikes Kimbo as a person. He's almost universally liked for his personality.

Dude just can't fight for more than one minute

Slice has been doing MMA for a while and has even fought for the UFC. ... thread should be in defense of Dada 5000 who hasn't been doing this very long and was pretty much making his debut. I think the fight played out the way it did because Kimbo was legit worried Dada 5000 was going to KO him. So took him down to tire him out first before standing and trading. Neither fighter would have gassed as hard if it was all stand up. Only problem was Kimbo gassed just as quick as Dada did. Allot probably had to do with the size difference. The rest because of age and he just doesn't have the gas tank.

When Kimbo took Dada down he was very close to being turned over and who knows what would of happened with the much bigger Dada on top. Over all I enjoyed the fight. It was like one of those bad movies that are so bad .. it was good. This event will be remembered long after others are forgotten.

Kimbo has been a professional fighter for quite some time now. No excuse for him to be that out of shape. Dada 5000 gets a pass, but Kimbo is past the whole "He's still green" excuse. He should know better by now.

I personally just blame Bellator though. They smeared their brand with hefty amount of shit last night. Fucking embarrassing card.

I dont blame the guy for any of it. All things considered he's actually a pretty likeable guy who's just getting paid.

I blame Scott Coker 100%. Ruining 1 organization after another with these types of fights. How he keeps getting jobs is an absolute mystery to me.

Interested to hear what the ratings were, I feel like if it was high, they will roll Kimbos course back out

I dont blame the guy for any of it. All things considered he's actually a pretty likeable guy who's just getting paid.

I blame Scott Coker 100%. Ruining 1 organization after another with these types of fights. How he keeps getting jobs is an absolute mystery to me.

Yeah, he ruined SF so badly that the UFC paid millions for it.

Yeah, he ruined SF so badly that the UFC paid millions for it.

Yeah, instead of SF being a viable alternative, they bled money to the point they had to sell. Great work.

Yeah, instead of SF being a viable alternative, they bled money to the point they had to sell. Great work.

When you make millions of dollars off selling your company, that's called successful.

When you make millions of dollars off selling your company, that's called successful.

When you have to sell to your competitor, that's called a failure.

Kimbo and Dada both seem like really cool guys, the fight looked like what you should of expected it to look like for 2 literal street fighters in the late 30s who haven't been active fighters for years. It would of been way better bare fisted in some backyard in Miami and then put up on Youtube. Epitome of a freak show fight in 2016 on national TV, blame Coker if you want to blame anybody.

Kimbo has been fighting MMA since 2007. I have been casually training jiu jitsu since 2009 and I'm a purple belt. The dude clearly doesn't train. He just lifts and then fights.

I never thought Kimbo would compete in MMA again before his current stint in Bellator, I don't think he did either

Kimbo has been fighting MMA since 2007. I have been casually training jiu jitsu since 2009 and I'm a purple belt. The dude clearly doesn't train. He just lifts and then fights.

Yep. He isn't pretending to be someone he is not. We just keep wanting to see the someone he is compete in MMA. He has gassed in nearly every fight, but we expect something different?

6-2 now in Pro MMA. good record and fought tough guys. he has done well.

I'm watching this shit fest on youtube now. I'm actually surprised Kimbo knew enough to put in the hooks from mount.

That sounds like a compliment but its actually a backhanded one. A guy who started MMA like 5 years ago barely knew enough to put hooks in to maintain mount.

Sad days.

I'm watching this shit fest on youtube now. I'm actually surprised Kimbo knew enough to put in the hooks from mount.

That sounds like a compliment but its actually a backhanded one. A guy who started MMA like 5 years ago barely knew enough to put hooks in to maintain mount.

Sad days.

Dude can't take down a backyard brawler without nearly paralyzing himself. See that head spike? Holy shit.

Embarrassing for Bellator to have those 2 fights headlining a PPV, the 2 worst fights of all time? i mean since Kimbo is this big bad scary street fighter, he has been in a few of the worst fights i have ever seen, against Houston Alexander and this crap, A local lad i know Mark Godbeer from tiny little town called Bridgwater in Somerset in South West England, a town which produces nothing but smackheads, who only fought once on a Bellator card against Kongo would hurt these guys bad, but because hes not beat up up some crack heads and talks tough & put it on You Tube, we have to watch these 2 instead lol.

I Was really cheering on Kimbo tho, but the way he won lol 'TKO (exhaustion)' lol, seriously make my local lad Godbeer some money, Kimbo, call him out, contact Godbeers handlers and set up a fight to main event Bellator and make him some £££ knocking you out in teh first minute, he cant afford to train anymore!

As a huge fan of MMA, how these guys headline a ppv in the second largest MMA org in the world i will never know.

Back