in community college, whats a job that lets you train consistently?

Uezama**

Brown Belt
Reaction score
whats a job that lets you train consistently or allows you to be active in the bjj world/get to high competitive levels? by active i mean train around 5 times a week with ease or little difficulties. any ideas?

edit: whats also a good job to major in that gives you a lot of time to train?

Last edited:
Working at a chain store is an option. I mean, it sucks but most allow you to have flexible schedules because there's normally always someone to cover a time that you couldn't. I work at Home Depot and had no trouble at all requesting never to work past 6:30 Mon-Fri where I now have room to do BJJ.

Bartender, bouncer, just add more student loan debt?
Or you could try to get a manufacturing job during the summer. Low pay, but enough hours during the summer that it can take stress off of the need to work a ton of hours during the school year.

Working at a chain store is an option. I mean, it sucks but most allow you to have flexible schedules because there's normally always someone to cover a time that you couldn't. I work at Home Depot and had no trouble at all requesting never to work past 6:30 Mon-Fri where I now have room to do BJJ.
that actually sounds very tempting. theres a lowes down the street.

Pool tech maybe? My buddy is one and he sometimes only works 3-4 hours a day and they have him on salary.

bar back.

It's rare to find a career job that will provide you unlimited training time.

that actually sounds very tempting. theres a lowes down the street.

If you apply online, they'll most likely ask what shifts you are available to work. Just list what times you can't work there. A tip though is to always leave the weekend completely open, its much more likely to be approved. You'll more than likely be highered on temp status but if you either a) do a great job and customers personally ask for you or b) hop into another department before your temp status runs out, they'll more than likely keep you.

If you apply online, they'll most likely ask what shifts you are available to work. Just list what times you can't work there. A tip though is to always leave the weekend completely open, its much more likely to be approved. You'll more than likely be highered on temp status but if you either a) do a great job and customers personally ask for you or b) hop into another department before your temp status runs out, they'll more than likely keep you.

actually it's better to just put down full availability so the chances you get a call back for an interview is higher.

At college, get a job at the computer lab. As a proctor, or something like that. You basically babysit computers and let the occasional student print stuff out. It's bound to be all Windows, but this shouldn't be a big deal, since people will probably be using it for just basic stuff.

Make sure you upgrade to firefox, though!

In any case, it's a comfy desk job without much responsibility. That's the gist of it. Find jobs like that. Get creative I'm sure you can come up with tons of other examples. Just as long as it is a place where things aren't gonna blow up because you're there and you're golden. Get some homework done in there, so that you don't stress in any of your classes and have to miss practice once or twice due to "too much homework". (You'll know what I mean)

Cool. now you've got money. Now get your ass to practice. You should be well rested and you probably have watched a ton of grappling videos during the course of the day.

Do that from Monday-Friday, and you can train on weekends too if you want.

You won't be getting mad poon if all you do is train BJJ though. Balance in everything!

-

To be able to train a lot while still making decent money look at jobs you can freelance. A guy I train with and me are ruby on rails developers, software and web app stuff. He just took off on a month vacation to Guam, then to Japan to compete over there. I have the flexibility to always make the morning class and go to the evening class if I want.

There's other gigs, like copywriters, designers, etc. I'm saying get a job that lets you work remotely on the computer and own your own business so you're held accountable to only yourself. Wake up, do what you want that day, go to sleep. It's not easy, but it allows you to dictate your own schedule, which is a must if you want to be world-class.

Last edited:
actually it's better to just put down full availability so the chances you get a call back for an interview is higher.

I thought that at first too. But a few of my friends included their limited schedule and still got hired. I'm pretty sure its because they hire regularly so job competition is a bit thinner seeing as the job is pretty common. That might just be here though.

Back