in BJJ, is it rude to have like a mismatch gi for training?

Magx951

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hey guys. So long story short, I'm going back to a gym that I used to go to for a while but ended up moving houses and switching gyms. I've got two different Gi's, one is white and one is blue. The white one has the gym logo on the back, but the pants are too big for me. Would it be rude to wear my Blue gi pants with it? should I just wear my full blue gi instead?

thanks in advance.

Not at any school I've been to but shoot your instructor a text message and ask him.

It's not rude.

It just makes you look like an OG. When a guy is doing the mismatch thing, that's the most intimidating uniform to face off against. It means he is old school, has enough orphan gi parts hanging around to mix and match, and simply does not give a fuck about being a BJJ hipster.

It is like the exact opposite feeling of facing down a guy in the latest Shoyoroll.

some academies have rules against doing the mismatch thing. never really knew the origins of the rule.

It's not rude.

It just makes you look like an OG. When a guy is doing the mismatch thing, that's the most intimidating uniform to face off against. It means he is old school, has enough orphan gi parts hanging around to mix and match, and simply does not give a fuck about being a BJJ hipster.

It is like the exact opposite feeling of facing down a guy in the latest Shoyoroll.

I intentionally mismatch my Shoyorolls just to confuse people like you

At my school they don't care. I have a blue top but I like my black gi pants better than my blue ones so I normally mismatch

I would say as long as its clean then who cares but some instructors may

It's not rude.

Oh man, so well said.

Used my blue pants with my white top cos my regular white pants ripped beyond repair. No one had a problem with it in training earlier.

It's only annoying IMO, when people do it to look cool (or more OG than they actually are) rather than purely out of necessity or comfort.

i rock the mismatch solely for the opportunity of telling offended people to fuck themselves. because of course i do.

Some gyms don't like it, which is weird because who doesn't have orphaned jackets or pants? I like to go with an Aikido combo to annoy the owner of my current gym.

Japanese....White only

BJJ/Judo-I think rocking White/blue is ok and always did it blue pants, my og white top I still have that has old Ultimate Fighting Alliance and gracie patches on it, and sigs from both Royce and Royler wore off the back of it lol. Only Blue/white though. Black, others, not cool to some.

Like blue, red for sambo.

Not anywhere I've seen either, but as always, check with the instructor.

When I trained ago Atos HQ it was generally frowned upon. Andre would call it a Hodge-podge gi. At my gym I go through 2-3 gi's a day and eventually end up needing to mix-match if they didnt dry in time. Also similar to what balto said, my gi tops last longer than my gi pants and I don't want to 'retire' any of them.

Japanese....White only

BJJ/Judo-I think rocking White/blue is ok and always did it blue pants, my og white top I still have that has old Ultimate Fighting Alliance and gracie patches on it, and sigs from both Royce and Royler wore off the back of it lol. Only Blue/white though. Black, others, not cool to some.

Like blue, red for sambo.

I do black pants with white top. It looks just as normal as blue/white imo.

You guys don't suppose that a prohibition against mismatched gis, or certain colors, or a requirement that you buy only certain brand of gi has anything to do with the academy selling you the gis they have in stock, do you? Couldn't possibly be the case.... It's all about image and team unity, right? right?

Mods, please change my screen name to Mr. Cynic...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back