In all honesty did GUS just give out the blueprint on how to beat JONES?

I think it's near impossible blueprint to emulate. You need be a huge, mobile LHW, with good footwork, good boxing technique, and flawless takedown defense.

Basically a 6' 5" Lyoto Machida.

This

Start with being a giant before all other circumstances. Good luck with that, rest of LHW.

I find the whole "blueprint" thing is kinda stupid whenever it is brought up.

I dunno about you, but if I had a "blueprint" for a house and it collapsed or didn't stand, I'd be firing the architect.

Chael Sonnen supposedly showed the "blueprint" to beat Anderson Silva. Yet Sonnen lost twice against Silva, and when Weidman finally beat Silva, it wasn't because of Sonnen's failed "blueprint."

Jones got hurt worse than ever before (not counting his toe-self mutilation) and barely pulled out a controversial split decision after a flawless streak of success before that fight.

Gus did lay the blueprint imo. Thing is, it wasnt just Gus' pure talent, it was also the fact that he was similar in size to Jones that made it work.

Tall w long reach and constant movement. Now just add ko power and there ya go.

We've seen countless times how to NOT beat Jones. Standing on the outside like Rashad and Rampage sure won't work. You have to be willing to come inside and eat a few shots on the way.

Many people were scared of Jones and hesitated a lot in engagements.
But engaging and movement is what made Gus incredibly effective against Jones.
Jones does very well when the opponent is standing in front of Jones and has time/range to land his kicks.

His physical gifts + his skill set really would be hard to match. I'd say he made more of a blueprint than Oscar claimed to have made for Mayweather.

Glover cannot use the same gameplan. Rampage, Machida and Rashad all used that gameplan and got beat because they are not as good as Gus. Neither is Glover. Glover can however win this fight if he gets top position on the ground.

Machida not as good as Gus? Son, give Gus (or Jones) Machida's exact body specs, just without Machida's skill and then square them off, and Machida wins every time. All else being equal, Machida is a considerably more well rounded and skilled fighter than either Gus or Jones.

"Cool story bro" alert. When I was a teenager me and a friend, who were same body size, took karate from a local dojo and we used to spar a lot. Over and over I would get the best of him. Then suddenly one year his arms and height grew two inches over night, even though I still weighed considerably more pounds than him. Then everything was reversed. It got so difficult to spar him that I just didn't want to do it anymore.

Machida just does not have the body specs for it to be a 'fair' fight against either Jones or Gustafsson. And I am very happy that he is moving to MW.

There 5 fighters at least in the division that could compete if they just had the TDD to stop jones. Unfortunately, there is no one (can't believe gus could stop the TD) outside of gus that has proven to be able to do it. I doubt glover will but you never know.

I think it's his TD (and defense) that has set him apart thusfar and the reason why the gus fight was close at all.

Maybe, but the blueprint has to include being 6'5 and a good boxer with a good chin. So, nah.

Yes. The blueprint is to be tall, quick, and very skilled.

Unfortunately, no one other than Gus in the division has that combination.

Yep unfurtunatelly you can't teach Glover to be tall and quick.

Back