In all honesty did GUS just give out the blueprint on how to beat JONES?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by 99Silva, Sep 26, 2013.

1. 99Silva

99Silva Banned Banned

How will Glover capitalize on it?

2. jiujitsuforever

jiujitsuforever Banned Banned

north carolina: aka most bipolar weather on the ea
    movement, tdd, and striking =bad night for jones

3. MrKilroyT

MrKilroyT Brown Belt

Yes. The blueprint is to be tall, quick, and very skilled.

Unfortunately, no one other than Gus in the division has that combination.

4. gillygilly**

gillygilly** Banned Banned

maybe, but because no one else in the division is really as long as gus (and jones) they would have to be much faster in order to land. Against pretty much everyone else jones can just stick his open fucking hand out like he always does and maintain the distance. He tried that against gus and got a punch planted on his face even while his arm was fully out-stretched.

Machida may be able to do it, but I think he would need to be more aggressive and make sure he doesn't get caught up against the cage.

5. maddogmark25

maddogmark25 White Belt

Good luck finding someone at 205 that is as tall, has the same reach, and is as skilled as Gus.

6. Team Sleep

Team Sleep Black Belt

I think having the blueprint do so doesn't necessarily mean that anyone else will be able to do so.

It's like Usain Bolt gave us the blueprint to win gold medals in Olympic sprinting. All you have to do is break world record times. Well most people except for a very few in the world could never do that. Glover took some of Bader's shots and Bader ain't Jones. I think Glover will be finished rather quickly. Hell, even Gustafsson may not be able to repeat what he did.

7. KantoTerror

KantoTerror Silver Belt

Gus is the prototype of the fighter that can beat jones...sadly Glover is not even close.

8. bambaladam

bambaladam Blue Belt

By being the guy Jones wants to fight next. :icon_lol:

9. eworden78

eworden78 Silver Belt

I think it's near impossible blueprint to emulate. You need be a huge, mobile LHW, with good footwork, good boxing technique, and flawless takedown defense.

Basically a 6' 5" Lyoto Machida.

10. 99Silva

99Silva Banned Banned

I disagree I think Glover has excellent boxing and could probably even hit harder. He has range disadvantage and probably speed but if he can close the gap he has a chance.

11. eiyuu

eiyuu Silver Belt

I find the whole "blueprint" thing is kinda stupid whenever it is brought up.

I dunno about you, but if I had a "blueprint" for a house and it collapsed or didn't stand, I'd be firing the architect.

Chael Sonnen supposedly showed the "blueprint" to beat Anderson Silva. Yet Sonnen lost twice against Silva, and when Weidman finally beat Silva, it wasn't because of Sonnen's failed "blueprint."

12. Polish Punisher

Polish Punisher Black Belt

Glover is slow and plodding and unathletic.

He hits hard as hell, has very good hands and good grappling.

He has a punchers chance because he hits much harder than Gus, but he needs to get inside to land his shots. Gus could stay on the outside and stick and move.

Glover loses this fight.

13. jdm17

jdm17 Blue Belt

Yup. Too bad he's the only fighter at LHW who has the right combination of speed, size, tdd, and striking to execute that blueprint.

14. roggg

roggg Brown Belt

Wait a second...Gus didn't actually beat him did he? So the blueprint is to be a better Gus than Gus. Methinks Glover is better off with a game plan that plays on his own strengths.

15. KantoTerror

KantoTerror Silver Belt

The blueprint to beat Andy was during the Travis Luther fight. Take him down. there were some holes...same story with Dan. the first Sonnen fight and the 2nd. And with weidman...until of course...andy got foolish and thought it was a dancing with the stars...

16. flanellograf

flanellograf Silver Belt

A more active version of Machida that has a great chin. Gus isn't afraid to engage and exchange which flustered Jones. However, if Jones improves his jab and straight, and commits more to his wrestling and unpredictability again, it's not going to matter much.

17. KarmaPolice

KarmaPolice Banned Banned

Why don't you elaborate on what this "blueprint" is? He lost, I wouldn't want to copy that.

18. Scythe

Scythe Brown Belt

Your description of Glover is true (though I'd say his defense is lacking) but the disadvantages you described are exacerbated against Jones and his arms-out upper-body negation coupled with leg kicks and intelligent unpredictability.

This fight is reminiscent of the Rampage match for Jon. Glover's got a better top game but it's unlikely to be put on display.

19. ferrisjso

ferrisjso Goat Lawyer

Not really the things Gus did effectively against Jones you can't teach except for the wrestling Davis taught him. Not everyone has a strong chin that can absorb a spinning elbow not everyone has the speed Gus has, not everyone has the power Gus has and of course most don't have the dimensions Gus had to make these other factors matter more .

Gus's stell chin and speed allowed Gus to get close enough with his reach to use his power to hurt Jones most fighters at LHW either A don't have a chin or B aren't as fast as Jones or Gus and don't forget their mostly shorter reaches. Is this is a blueprint? Maybe yes maybe No. Even if it was it's a dammed hard one to follow.

20. KlNG

KlNG Thank you for more post per page.....

Yes if only there were more fighters in the division who had the exact same handspeed,reach,footwork,takedown defense and boxing. That dude would totally own Jones.