In a way, Sumo is the ultimate "foundation" grappling art

Yeah!

Why train when we can all just sit around visualizing that we're sumo wrestlers.

I <3 All Grappling, Inlcuding the Sumo :p

Anyway, Sumo is a great base for all grappling. Its really basic, and doesnt take as long to catch on to as alot of other grappling arts. The rules are simple and can be taught within minutes. You dont even have to have any knowledge of Sumo or grappling, just your natural instinct to grapple to be able to have fun with Sumo. I wish the Japanese didn't focus so much on being big for the sport though. I think thats the downfall of Sumo. I would love to see Sumo matches under International Wrestling weight classes, and not just a big jumble of fat guys (athletic or not, being that overweight is uncalled for, and alot of Sumo atheltes die very early.) I know Korea has a nice Sumo scene for the lightweight guys, and China has similar styles.

Masakatsu Funaki #1 said:
I <3 All Grappling, Inlcuding the Sumo :p

Anyway, Sumo is a great base for all grappling. Its really basic, and doesnt take as long to catch on to as alot of other grappling arts. The rules are simple and can be taught within minutes. You dont even have to have any knowledge of Sumo or grappling, just your natural instinct to grapple to be able to have fun with Sumo. I wish the Japanese didn't focus so much on being big for the sport though. I think thats the downfall of Sumo. I would love to see Sumo matches under International Wrestling weight classes, and not just a big jumble of fat guys (athletic or not, being that overweight is uncalled for, and alot of Sumo atheltes die very early.) I know Korea has a nice Sumo scene for the lightweight guys, and China has similar styles.

That is exactly why I am focusing on Sumo. It is the perfect way for a beginner to start grappling.

E. Honda's "hundred-hand slap" pwns.

if your just training for recreational purposes, why not do sumo? If your training in hopes of doing mma sumo just seems to be a waste of time because you get the same balance in wrestling that you will doing sumo

The value of a herd of free range fed Sumo, in a Andean plane crash/cannibal situation, really can't overstated. Particularly if you remember to bring a portable grill in your luggage.

I think Sumo can be fun and yes, it teaches some skills that apply to grappling. You will benefit from learning Sumo - but nowhere near as much as learning wrestling or judo for takedowns.

So in a nutshell, Sumo is fun but too limited in comparison to other arts for the average sized person.

judogido said:
I think Sumo can be fun and yes, it teaches some skills that apply to grappling. You will benefit from learning Sumo - but nowhere near as much as learning wrestling or judo for takedowns.

So in a nutshell, Sumo is fun but too limited in comparison to other arts for the average sized person.

Thats what makes it a good foundation to build on. Start with sumo, then wrestling, then jiu jitsu, seems like a logical grappling progression.

We had a sumo club share our dojo for a while. There were a few things I saw that might be of interest, including how to "charge' your opponent.

I think there is more to it than you think and I'm always one to believe that there is benefit to be had from everything.

Your idea has limited merit, though. I think it better to develop a firm foundation in one art before cross-training to a different one.

Decent sumo clubs are also a rarity in most countries so the availability of good training is difficult.

There's something about sweaty guys in nappies that doesnt appeal to me for some reason - & I think this view is shared by the majority.

Always worth posting an interesting or different perspective, though (just be prepared to be flamed)

judogido said:
Always worth posting an interesting or different perspective, though (just be prepared to be flamed)

If I compete and win, the flamers will feel very silly.

nothin wrong with a little sumo. i wouldnt base my entire style off it because you'd get boxed out by an in-and-out quick-footed boxer and never lay a hand on him.

gungfudisciple said:
If I compete and win, the flamers will feel very silly.
If you arrive at a competition greased up & wearing a nappy you'll win by default

judogido said:
If you arrive at a competition greased up & wearing a nappy you'll win by default

I wont be greased up, that is illegal and cheating. I will be eight weeks into a garlic and curry heavy diet, though, theres no rules against garlic and curry seeping from your pores, and Ill take advantage of that.

Kiyoshi Tamura trained in sumo, so did Lyoto Machida, so did the legendary Rikidozan, who beat Kimura in what many say was a shoot match...of course on a technical level, sumo is a great grappling base...I also understand that judo and jujutsu derived some of their throws and techniques from sumo.

deadlift ryan said:
but only if you mentally imagine yourself as a sumo. because as you said you have envisaged yourself doing fedor armbars so you can beat any six month bjj student even though you have no grappling experience.
go away troll.

Dude, this post was completely and utterly uncalled for and closed minded. Come on man, you can do better.

Kforcer said:
Kiyoshi Tamura trained in sumo, so did Lyoto Machida, so did the legendary Rikidozan, who beat Kimura in what many say was a shoot match...of course on a technical level, sumo is a great grappling base...I also understand that judo and jujutsu derived some of their throws and techniques from sumo.
Man, I keep forgetting Tamura did Sumo. I wonder if his parents have any footage of him competing. It be interesting to see Tamura battling in Sumo with guys twice his size....

triso said:
Are you actually saying you are going to start training a grappling art? Or are you just going to continue visualizing yourself in the "natural" progression of Sumo, Wrestling, Jiu Jitsu?

Kforcer, I think you missed his earlier thread about how all he does for training is visualization and meditation, and how he believes he is a better grappler then most beginners because of this. Though I don

Can a three month practicioner execute the bottom guard hip thrust escape into and armbar that Fedor Emelianenko defeated Mark Coleman with? Ive done that move to perfection in my mind, and on the mat although without a partner but the motion, speed and technique are all there.

I am not saying I can beat ANY trained grappler, just letting you know that mentally, I am far from an amateur, and I dont think any beginner could beat me. Even though I have never grappled, I have a very solid repertoire of moves in my mind, ready to go. That has to be worth something.
How do you interpret that?

If I misunderstood you, then oh well, but you came off sounding pretty ridiculous in your other thread. I do believe that seeing, and knowing the moves, before training would help you as a beginner. That does not however make you have "instinctive grappling", and will NOT make you better then people who actually train.

What kind of grappling are you doing now?

Back