improving with a poor partner?

armstrong*skier

White Belt
Reaction score
so a close friend of mine has started mma with me. I am quite new to it but i have a BJJ background. anyways, he weighs probably 110 pounds and i am 145. and he doesnt really want to get hit in the head because he recently got surgery to remove a lump on his head (not sure the whole story). its pretty much healed up, i hate to say it but he is kind of a wimp. so the problem is, he wants to be my partner every class. i feel like i have to teach him the whole time rather than learn myself. plus even if he was better than me, hes just a tiny person. too easy to throw around and overpower. does anyone have any suggestions about what i can do? i dont want to be blunt about it. i would just feel too bad. i really want to improve my stand up but its tough when i can only throw body shots and i have to go about 10% on everything we do

Try saying something like: "Hey, I think next class we should start picking new partners. We're not gonna learn much if we always partner with each other." Even regardless of his injuries and his wimpiness, I still think it's a bad idea to always partner with the same guy.

Considering that you're a beginner yourself, you should be rolling with guys better than yourself, as well as other guys around your level. Until a certain point, you shouldn't be teaching anyway; just say what the guy above me said to spare his feelings if necessary.

Otherwise, since he's smaller let him get top position, and work your back game. Let him have side control/ mount even, and work from there. If you get a sweep, just reset; work subs and sweeps from HG, Guard, Butterfly, etc.

Back