improving reaction time

Agreed. We do this drill allot where 1 guy goes into the ring and just works his defense while we continually switch in a new guy to throw offense at him. Usually we do it in 1 min intervals for 5-7 mins, great drill! It also works to assist in coaching the guys who are rotating in for offense, they watch the guy defending and try to find the holes in his defense to exploit. Great when you throw in a guy who is a lanky quick outfighter, then the next 1 min interval you toss in a shorter stockier tuck n roll pressure fighter..... keeps the guy defending from getting to comfortable.

Same thing at our gym.

We do 5 minute standup sparring and every 1 minute we change the partner.
Keeps you sharp and no chance to get comfortable for long.

I've got pretty slow reflexes and I want to work on them. What's a good drill for this? Also, I seem to have a phobia of being hit in the face; whenever I see something coming for me, I blink and flinch, is there any way to get over this?

Look for a good trainer.

I think it was proven only for those who reguarly played first person shooters.

Playing high level fighters like Tekken and SF can also help with reaction time.

IMO, Tekken is the best way to practice the mental aspect of martial arts.

You practice

-knowing your distance and your timing to attack
-Set ups between low and mid attacks.
-Setting up counter hits
-Improve your defense by reading your opponents pattern of attacks
-The focus on footwork by sidestepping certain attacks.

Playing high level fighters like Tekken and SF can also help with reaction time.

You practice

-Setting up counter hits

Hmmmm, i don't think i can get on board with this theory..... Controllers dont punch or kick you, spacial awareness and reflexive tendencies watching a 2 dimensional screen and reacting with your fingers is a far cry from a 3 dimensional ring that incorporates your entire body and all your peripheral vision. I can shoot guys on first person shooters from 1000 yds out, but cant hit a pepsi can with a BB gun from 50ft.

You practice

-Setting up counter hits

lol

So pretty much if you want to improve your striking reaction time..you need a hefty dose of COD and Counter Strike daily. Got it.. and maybe a few hours of Tekken, for footwork and working on sidestepping attacks. Okay!

You practice

-Setting up counter hits

I think the benefits have more to do with brain signal processing than developing actual skills. Playing Tekken will improve your fighting skills exactly as much as reading a book on technique will. If you aren't physically performing the moves and developing the muscle memory, you're not going to get any better.

It will, however, condition your brain to react quicker.

1) Eyes see an event.
2) Brain processes the visual image
3) Brain makes appropriate response decision
4) Brain sends signal through the nervous system to the appropriate appendages
5) Appendages move

This reaction process is the same for fighting, playing video games, driving a car, etc.

in all cerealness though. try a speed bag or a double end bag. they look so crazy that they just might work!

Back