Improving ground and pound game

Macca97

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys, been watching a lot of DC, Mark munoz, Brock lesnar and a few other brutal GnP dudes and it has really made me see that I have no idea how to actually ground and pound efficiently.
The main positions I want to improve on is the guard, half guard and turtle position but I really have no idea where to start apart from just getting in those positions with the mma gloves on and going for it.
I understand this stuff is a lot of invisible jiu jitsu, like more weight controlling concepts and knowing how to keep your base and control your opponent from each position, but it really have no idea on where to start and how to start improving.

What are all these guys doing right from these positions that allows such superior control and opens up for the strikes, and how can I work on it myself is basically my question
Any links, articles, breakdowns or personal advice would be greatly appreciated, I really aim to take greatly improved top control and striking into my next fight and turn me being on top from a pain in the ass to dangerous.
Cheers

I would say that any subtleties they're doing, is just the same stuff you normally do to prevent the opponent from regaining guard. Basically just good top control. If you can maintain that, you can GnP to your heart's content. But why would you try it from your opponent's guard, I would prefer to pass the guard first. I think top half guard is good enough but I'd go for mount anyway.

I would say that any subtleties they're doing, is just the same stuff you normally do to prevent the opponent from regaining guard. Basically just good top control. If you can maintain that, you can GnP to your heart's content. But why would you try it from your opponent's guard, I would prefer to pass the guard first. I think top half guard is good enough but I'd go for mount anyway.

I prefer half guard, somewhat of a middle ground between the control of side control and the devastating power of mount, I wouldn't GNP from guard if I could avoid it, but some guys are probably going to have very hard guards to open and pass, and then what other options do you have

Utilize the can opener...GSP and Weidman abuse this, crank there neck with the can opener and mush them up with some elbows and punches or if its amatuer mma just punch them

Also watch josh barnetts attacking the guard DVD, very applicable to MMA and would help your ground and pound

Last edited:
Look at what Fedor and Gunnar Nelson do.

Fedor creates spaces which allows him to generate tremendous power in his ground and pound. He also threatens with the passing of the guard, so your opponent has to deal with both, making the ground and pound that much more effective.

Gunnar nelson has an article or seminar where he talks about the subtleties of ground and pound. I'm not sure where it is, but if you can find it, you'd learn a lot.

this video isn't an answer to your question, i just wanted to post it so everyone could appreciate how much power fedor generated with nothing but good posture and putting his entire weight into punches as he threw them on the ground.

imagine getting hit with that for 20 minutes like nogueira did.

Number one factor in good GNP is the hips, using your hips to control his hips, freeing up your hands, creating levers, and making space.

There are so many different ground and pound styles. Everything should flow together.

Urijah Faber is the master at throwing elbows inside the closed guard.
Askren will hold you down and chip away endlessly.

Threaten the pass to open GNP. Threaten GNP to create the pass.

Posture posture posture...

yes, GnP should be practiced with a book on your head

Actually, that might help lol...but correct posture enables you deliver powerful blows instead of pitty pat strikes without compromising your base. I would throw distance control in there as well.

Cheers guys, has anyone seen the half guard position lesnar does with a heavy cross face whilst grabbing under the opponents armpit leaving them completely unable to work for a sub and very hard to escape, then he can just chip away, he did it almost all fight in his second fight with Mir

Actually, that might help lol...but correct posture enables you deliver powerful blows instead of pitty pat strikes without compromising your base. I would throw distance control in there as well.

unless you wanna play a strategic game...pitty pat strikes is enough to stop the referee from standing which means you can lay and pray and snooze fest your way to winning the round

not like I recommend that, but pitty pat strikes have there place lol

unless you wanna play a strategic game...pitty pat strikes is enough to stop the referee from standing which means you can lay and pray and snooze fest your way to winning the round

not like I recommend that, but pitty pat strikes have there place lol

True but refer to first sentence of OP

True but refer to first sentence of OP

yeah your post is more relevant...just thought i'd throw that in there to say that inefficient ground and pound has it's place...not the most entertaining tactic but a legit one none the less unfortunately

Ground n Pound is not always about landing power strikes, but also stability and tactics. Knowing when to have active toes, when to control the arms and when to posture up. Big pressure with your hips and head position as well. It is an art in of itself. Half guard is whole other bag of worms.

Posture posture posture...

Posture and distance control is one massive thing for sure, but I think the control, and being able to control whilst postured and land massive strikes eg. Mark munoz when he has back control
Is just as important or possibly more important, and it's how these guys are doing this so well that's very hard to see and pick up on.

Posture and distance control is one massive thing for sure, but I think the control, and being able to control whilst postured and land massive strikes eg. Mark munoz when he has back control
Is just as important or possibly more important, and it's how these guys are doing this so well that's very hard to see and pick up on.

Wrasslin

Back