(Improved?) bag work

Watching, self practice, and lots of distance-mentoring from Sinister, aka Luis Monda. That's him the video, by the way.

I'm trying to make the switch to boxing currently, as well.

Ah, I see. Well, good luck with that! Seems like you are ahead of the curve on the "knowing" aspect. The "doing" is the hard part I find lol.

Except remove the snap from the shoulder.

Speed is great, but I think it has very little to do with the shoulder. I'd say that a punch with a low elbow and no shoulder movement is much harder to see coming, but hey. :wink:

Continuing reading thru the thread... I'm not talking about that little shoulder shuck you're talking about. I'm talking about snap as in a snappy jab. A high level of sudden muscular involvement at the apex of the punch. Like tensing the fist upon impact, same principal. Shoulder 'pop' or shuck is a dance move. Babba how long have you been boxing? You and I are very often on the same page technically.

Hand speed is very shoulder involved. The shoulder is the fulcrum that takes the brunt of the force on hooks, and the front crown of the shoulder IS the jab. The tricep need only twitch to allow the arm to "fall" open.

Last edited:
This is all foreign talk for me. Shoulder pop? I think I need to go back to basics, e.g. learning how to throw a proper jab and cross.

Just keep re-reading and applying, re-reading and applying. Some days things will make sense to you that didn't on others... that's how the sport works IME. I go back to "fixing" my jab once a month.

So by shoulder pop do you just mean a less-committed punch to set up a harder one? An arm punch, more or less? I don't see Rigo lifting his shoulders much in that video. He's got pretty excellent posture.

In the second example at 9:28, he throws the same "style" arm punch with a one, then a one-two. Notice how both the one and the two looked the same but the 2 got some trunk rotation. That's what I mean. The one was an arm punch, the two was an arm punch with trunk rotation... not a tense punch letting one dictate the other, but both accelerating independently and simultaneously. The TIMING puts them in unison, not the muscular irrigation.

lol apizur thanks for explaining it in real english. obviously your first language. i have to resort to poor anedcotes and examples. shouldn't be that hard to understand though......

boxed since i was 14-15.. im 24 now. and yes we agree because you have competed and knows what works and doesnt, and you understand what i mean.

lol apizur thanks for explaining it in real english. obviously your first language. i have to resort to poor anedcotes and examples. shouldn't be that hard to understand though......

boxed since i was 14-15.. im 24 now. and yes we agree because you have competed and knows what works and doesnt, and you understand what i mean.

Hah! Inexperience isn't the reason I didn't understand. Your phrasing was confusing, and your explanations more so.

Hah! Inexperience isn't the reason I didn't understand. Your phrasing was confusing, and your explanations more so.

i never say you're inexperienced, i don't even know anything about your experience other than that you are an author and love martial arts.

but my explanations arent that confusing imo, since the video provided the visuals.

Nobody's out to hurt eachother's feelings. Imagine knowing something and nobody around you being able to decipher your answer. If Babba has a language barrier, what else can he do? His frustration from others misunderstanding him is apparent in almost every dialogue he engages in. I just learned English is his second language two seconds ago.

Babba what's your first language? I feel like you're gonna say Spanish.

I was shadow boxing earlier as a warm up for wrestling and the jab suddenly clicked. I don't know how or why, and I'm not saying I have a now perfect jab, but I know what is meant by how the punch should come from the core, and I now realize that my jab was just coming from the shoulder. I may do another bag video this week and post it up in here, slowed down and controlled, just throwing basic combinations like 1,2's and 1,2,3's.

i never say you're inexperienced, i don't even know anything about your experience other than that you are an author and love martial arts.

but my explanations arent that confusing imo, since the video provided the visuals.

Alright, I'm sorry. I didn't realize there was a language barrier. I somehow missed that in your last reply. My bad, dude.

Your punches look fine to me - not perfect, but you're getting decent leverage and good speed. There were only a couple points where you did something that wasn't quite right. Mostly the wider hook attempts. The rights at 1:17/1:18 weren't properly leveraged because of how your feet were positioned and how your weight was distributed, but I think it was because you were trying to do some sort of side-step right>>counter type of thing.

I would say try to stay away from the flashier stuff like superman punches (which I hate to begin with) and side-step to counter kinds of things. If you're going to try that type of evade>>counter, don't step to the side as much with your rear foot. Just step back/right, parallel to the positioning of your legs, onto the balls of your rear foot, and use that to push off of for the counter. And be sure to counter with a straight punch for that type of counter. A hook will usually take too long.

Back