(Improved?) bag work

I'd rather be doing shit like this.

I don't see any shoulder pop there.

Exactly. that's the whole point. how many people can do that with success? i havn't met many. especially not at lower weight.

pop in your punch to set up bigger punch is vital. it gives speed and or the illusion of speed. it scores points. its harder to see coming. etc. watch amateur boxing.. it works.

Speed is great, but I think it has very little to do with the shoulder. I'd say that a punch with a low elbow and no shoulder movement is much harder to see coming, but hey. :wink:

TS, your left hand is down/too low.

Speed is great, but I think it has very little to do with the shoulder. I'd say that a punch with a low elbow and no shoulder movement is much harder to see coming, but hey. :wink:

depends on the circumstances. not always the case. but good luck with ur approach.

pop in your punch to set up bigger punch is vital. it gives speed and or the illusion of speed. it scores points. its harder to see coming. etc. watch amateur boxing.. it works.

This man speaks the truth, well said!

Snapping with the shoulder or using "soft shots" not only score points but can be used as bait/set up for the next shot. I.E: vs. just dropping down and loading up a lead hook, you snap (from the shoulder) your right hand out as your shifting that weight onto the lead leg to throw the left hook. It's a distraction, set up, and while the opponents reacting to the right the lead hook is already on it's way there (hence, as Baba describes the illusion of speed)! Vs. if you fully commit to that right and the opponent blocks/defends it you'll often have to step into the left hook as your opponents pushed back out of range of from defending the right. In short, you don't always have to fully commit to your shots. Slapping, pushing, pawing, etc. are all ways of using a jab to set up the next shot or power shot. You can apply those exact same principles to any shot, obviously much more sparingly and with greater caution....... but still very effective.

For protecting yourself from getting hit.

Right, but he could just lift it, or protect himself another way. It's not like his glove is stapled to his chest.

This man speaks the truth, well said!

Snapping with the shoulder or using "soft shots" not only score points but can be used as bait/set up for the next shot. I.E: vs. just dropping down and loading up a lead hook, you snap (from the shoulder) your right hand out as your shifting that weight onto the lead leg to throw the left hook. It's a distraction, set up, and while the opponents reacting to the right the lead hook is already on it's way there (hence, as Baba describes the illusion of speed)! Vs. if you fully commit to that right and the opponent blocks/defends it you'll often have to step into the left hook as your opponents pushed back out of range of from defending the right. In short, you don't always have to fully commit to your shots. Slapping, pushing, pawing, etc. are all ways of using a jab to set up the next shot or power shot. You can apply those exact same principles to any shot, obviously much more sparingly and with greater caution....... but still very effective.

I see, I see. We were using the term "shoulder pop" differently, if this is what Babba meant. I was talking about the lifting of the shoulder as the punch is thrown, which doesn't help. Whereas you're talking about throwing from the shoulder, without putting the hip into it. I definitely think there's a place for that.

I'd rather be doing shit like this.

I don't see any shoulder pop there.

So would of Saul Alvarez, how'd that work out for him? That low elbow and snapping shots from the shoulder his opponent PBF commonly uses didn't look so ineffective?

I see, I see. We were using the term "shoulder pop" differently, if this is what Babba meant. I was talking about the lifting of the shoulder as the punch is thrown, which doesn't help. Whereas you're talking about throwing from the shoulder, without putting the hip into it. I definitely think there's a place for that.

Agreed! I'm assuming that is what he meant, if not......... then i too am confused.

So would of Saul Alvarez, how'd that work out for him? That low elbow and snapping shots from the shoulder his opponent PBF commonly uses didn't look so ineffective?

Actually I think Canelo tends to lift his shoulder and elbow too much on a lot of his shots. Posture really isn't his greatest strength. Floyd's much better about maintaining good posture and form while punching, except for in certain special circumstances.

This is all foreign talk for me. Shoulder pop? I think I need to go back to basics, e.g. learning how to throw a proper jab and cross.

This is all foreign talk for me. Shoulder pop? I think I need to go back to basics, e.g. learning how to throw a proper jab and cross.

[YT]c-t41JDW51k#t=146[/YT]

01:44 is one example, 09:28, a lot of them in the clip.. it's about rhytm and athleticism in your punches that's a theme i think is important. that you can punch so the person can't see. another thing with jab which isn't much talked about is that you can just put it in the opponenet's face and punch with other hand then he can't see the punch.

This one.

Very nice job on this video. I've never really come across this exact exercise. Seems extremely helpful and it put something I couldn't quite formulate, into words. Like what I like about Canelo and Errol Spence's movements. Like the video you posted from Sinister, with the kid Arnor and his sparring session.

Just noticed on your BE profile, it says you train in Thai and BJJ, but with Heavy Hands and these comments, it seems like you are very knowledgeable in boxing technique as well. Is that purely from watching?

Very nice job on this video. I've never really come across this exact exercise. Seems extremely helpful and it put something I couldn't quite formulate, into words. Like what I like about Canelo and Errol Spence's movements. Like the video you posted from Sinister, with the kid Arnor and his sparring session.

Just noticed on your BE profile, it says you train in Thai and BJJ, but with Heavy Hands and these comments, it seems like you are very knowledgeable in boxing technique as well. Is that purely from watching?

Watching, self practice, and lots of distance-mentoring from Sinister, aka Luis Monda. That's him the video, by the way.

I'm trying to make the switch to boxing currently, as well.

01:44 is one example, 09:28, a lot of them in the clip.. it's about rhytm and athleticism in your punches that's a theme i think is important. that you can punch so the person can't see. another thing with jab which isn't much talked about is that you can just put it in the opponenet's face and punch with other hand then he can't see the punch.

So by shoulder pop do you just mean a less-committed punch to set up a harder one? An arm punch, more or less? I don't see Rigo lifting his shoulders much in that video. He's got pretty excellent posture.

So by shoulder pop do you just mean a less-committed punch to set up a harder one? An arm punch, more or less? I don't see Rigo lifting his shoulders much in that video. He's got pretty excellent posture.

yes, the posture and balance remains the same. i would argue it can even be kept better because it usually lacks forward movement and it doesnt usually start an exchange like if you try to sit down and throw hard like you described..

so, it has a bout a million applications only limited by your creativity.

by shoulder pop it's like rigo does there, it can occupy the opponents mind and then something totally different comes, its also so quick and directly from the rear delt / biceps shoulder but hips are ofc also engaged, that it comes from nothing.. it can be shot quick like mayweather does behind a touch. like he did vs canelo sometimes to the body..

it can be an arm punch depending on situation, if neccesary you ofc throw an arm punch which i assume no movement of your body into the punch, but that can also have useful purpose and open up stuff / score points. guys like rigo doesnt follow rigid discpilines where you are limited by a pattern on how to punch, you do what the situation dictates and your creativity offers you.. so these "shoulder pop" punches can be very very useful. it can even control a whole fight, pop-pop.

I read that twice and i still doesn't get what is this shoulder pop punch thing he is talking about. Only hypothetical situations where it can be apply....

Back