Improve cardio by going vegetarian?

Discussion in 'Dieting / Supplement Discussion' started by shera, Oct 12, 2010.

1. shera

shera Brown Belt

I remember hearing Joe Rogan commenting that Frank Mir switched to a vegetarian diet to improve his cardio. I'm no diet expert but I don't see how cutting out meat, especially if you train, lift weights, etc. would help you physically. While on the topic, I also heard alcohol ruins your cardio as well but from what I understood, you'll tire quickly after drinking because it's a diuretic and will dehydrate you. If, say, you drink on a Friday night and aren't due back in the gym til Monday, there should be no problem, right? Or am I missing something? Any nutritionists here?

2. Blackice

Blackice Orange Belt

Going vegetarian doesn't improve your cardio any more than if you eat clean including meat. Training hard in said cardio does, because the more you do it, the more your body adapts, the easier it becomes. You then have to push yourself harder to get to where it feels challenging again to make gains. Alcohol shouldn't be a problem provided you're not drinking a lot right before you train, or try to do it if you're hungover unless you'd like to punish yourself for said drinking. Training a couple days after you partied shouldn't affect your training if you're doing everything else right.

3. 10thpjj

10thpjj Green Belt

Going veggie = Worst. Idea. Ever.

4. junkyard dog

junkyard dog Orange Belt

The veggie theory is bs in my opinion. Also alcohol consumption can effect more than just cardio as this has been brought up in many threads. Im sure you can find them if you just use the search function

5. JUST BLEED

JUST BLEED Guest

South Park proved this already if you eat nothing but vegetables you grow small vaginas all over your body. Serious answer though I couldn't imagine doing it. You are depriving yourself of protien which builds muscles. I run a lot and couldn't imagine removing steak or chicken from my diet. I tried the veggy thing for a week one time just to see if I could do it and it left me feeling week and tired. There is no way that I could funciton in running without meat. Some will argue you can get all your protien from beans and nuts but to each his own I guess.

6. dropshot001

dropshot001 Red Belt

His cardio probably improved because he ate better since being a vegetarian forces you to closely monitor what goes in your mouth

7. ocean size

ocean size Black Belt

I eat entirely plant based except for the occasional piece of fish, maybe 2x a week. For reasons unrelated to health for the most part.

Going veggie isn't inherently healthier than a clean, lean meat and plant based diet. A lot of the percieved health benefits aren't due to the diet itself, but as a poster mentioned, if you are active, as a vegetarian you really need to watch what you put in your body, so I think it is just being health conscious. I will say this- as a meat eater I maintained more bodyfat and a little more muscle, I am 180ish now and used to be up around 190.

My cardio is now amazing compared to what it was- I don't think I am imagining it, but I used to struggle with a few miles and now I can do 6 after a month off. Probably just not carrying any extra bulk.

8. scousegrindcore

scousegrindcore Banned Banned

I tried a veggie diet for a few months and actually found it to be quite expensive and didnt really notice any improvement. To each their own I guess.

I think alchohol should be avoided at all costs, its bad for your health and full of empty calories. You dont need to drink socially either, thats ridiculous. I try to set a good example by drinking bottled water when im out and I dont care what the haters say about it. Getting the opportunity to observe drinkers whilst sober was a real eye opener for me.

9. hardheart

hardheart Brown Belt

Clean meat is expensive and hard to come by (in most areas). Its easier to simply cut meat out and substitute other protein sources (eggs, peas, legumes, corn, rice, potatoes), which is why I assume a lot of people do it.

10. Da Speeit

Da Speeit CANCEROUS POSTER Platinum Member

In bed with your bitch, watching game of thrones,
    Chicken and Fish are expensive?

the 7 chicken breasts i bought for 11.79 and the 3 dollar salmon cut i have in the fridge say otherwise...

11. immovablestone

immovablestone Purple Belt

In the "clean" sense he may mean pastured chicken and wild caught fish. Truly wild caught salmon, at least around here, is rather expensive (~$15/lb sale price). Same with green label organic chicken breast (~$8/lb), I can't even find truly pastured chicken meat for sale locally, only eggs, so I have no idea how expensive that would be.

Still, IMHO the cost is no excuse to go vegetarian and drop yourself from predator to prey, lol.

12. hardheart

hardheart Brown Belt

As the other poster stated, I mean clean as in no antibiotics, no hormones, etc. Chicken is one of the "dirtiest" of all meats.

13. livingdeadmoose

livingdeadmoose Silver Belt

Going veggie=big fucking fad

14. livingdeadmoose

livingdeadmoose Silver Belt

You nailed it. His cardio improved because he just ate healthier in general. It has nothing to do with cutting out meats.

15. Da Speeit

Da Speeit CANCEROUS POSTER Platinum Member

In bed with your bitch, watching game of thrones,
    Gotcha.