Impression of Eddie Bravo's philosophy/techniques

Man..reading this makes me realzie how bad i suck at submission/sweeps from bottom. I should work on it a lil bit, though i've never been a big fan of staying on my back.

Interesting none the lesss.

you hit it on the dime I think.

this is where Eddie Bravo's non gi Jiu-jitsu is different from
the other non-gi guys like submission wrestling.

mainly that they do not have the intricate details to fight from the bottom, because
they favor the top so much.

Just different strategies,
I think this also exists in BJJ. A more predominant top game and those who are more
predominantly bottom game.
A la Rickson & Royce

johil d'o said:
When were you in the toilet with Leo Vieira???? And why were you there?
I liked the "hmmm!" version better. It takes you 2 posts (in one, obviously thinking) to come up with a worthless OT-like post?

I am going to have to look into this. I get people in my half guard and am completely clueless.

cool beans, & if you get Brabo choked repeatedly, don't get discouraged. Keep workin it bro!

NeelyWCU said:
what at about the sweep variations (names?) it seems like he has like, 3-4 legit variations if old school doesnt work...how have guys made out with them?

They have worked for me, usually I only have to go from old school to plan B.

Cynic what the hell is that in your av? that hurts.

Eddies rubber guard has helped me tremendously. Even against bigger guys I do really well. It helps me keep a tight high guard. I haven't looked into his half guard stuff as much but the old school sweep is awesome.

tudor bjj -- thanks for your thoughtful reply. Now back to your castle, Vlad-boy.

vlad boy?
you talkin to me?

my castle.... it was lost when one of my ancestors had gambling problems.....

(weep) It was a castle on a mountain top...

Actually VampireMonk, I was referring to our Romanian amigo (known as tudor bjj). Sorry for the confusion - I can see how it happened.

i thought the intro was cool as shit...one thing i noticed and makes sense now is when he mentioned how the word on the street was the 'royler had double jointed shoulders'

that explains why a) his shoulder didnt rip apart in the sak fight and b) why he was pissed off about it

YOu guys are from Romania?

COOLNESS, and one of you is named Vald? Like Vlad Tepes? AWESOME!!!
he better not be from the Carpathian mountains hehehe

VampireMonk said:
you hit it on the dime I think.

this is where Eddie Bravo's non gi Jiu-jitsu is different from
the other non-gi guys like submission wrestling.

mainly that they do not have the intricate details to fight from the bottom, because
they favor the top so much.

Just different strategies,
I think this also exists in BJJ. A more predominant top game and those who are more
predominantly bottom game.
A la Rickson & Royce

You should check out this guy Marcelo Garcia. He has some pretty good stuff fighting from the bottom for no gi grappling. There's also an old school guy named Jean-Jacques Machado. He's not bad fighting from his back at all.

SideofKO said:
Cynic what the hell is that in your av? that hurts.

Eddies rubber guard has helped me tremendously. Even against bigger guys I do really well. It helps me keep a tight high guard. I haven't looked into his half guard stuff as much but the old school sweep is awesome.

That my friend would be Takanori Gomi in a combat wrestling tournament executing his own move called the Serpent, similar to Mishimas cobra hold, and yes it hurts like.......
I sometimes go for it when I get to sidemount, if it does not work it usually opens up a Kimura or a Armbar.

Peace

sakufan said:
There's also an old school guy named Jean-Jacques Machado. He's not bad fighting from his back at all.

J.J. Machado is Bravo's master.

johil d'o said:
tudor bjj -- thanks for your thoughtful reply. Now back to your castle, Vlad-boy.
Eh... Pathetic?

sakufan said:
You should check out this guy Marcelo Garcia. He has some pretty good stuff fighting from the bottom for no gi grappling. There's also an old school guy named Jean-Jacques Machado. He's not bad fighting from his back at all.

yeah those guys are definitely non-gi JJ guys, not submission wrestlers.

JJ was Eddie Bravo's instructor, so no wonder!

Marcio is a phenom, I think he is Rickson part II

Cynic said:
That my friend would be Takanori Gomi in a combat wrestling tournament executing his own move called the Serpent, similar to Mishimas cobra hold, and yes it hurts like.......
I sometimes go for it when I get to sidemount, if it does not work it usually opens up a Kimura or a Armbar.

Peace

Serpent?? so is it called "Hebi" gatame or something???

God damn it.... Now I want to go buy his book.

Back