Impression of Eddie Bravo's philosophy/techniques

NeelyWCU

Brown Belt
Reaction score
just recently picked up a book of his with his concepts and his use of the rubber guard and how he prefers the half guard over full...and it showed a bunch of techniques...question is to the more experienced guys, what has been your impression/luck with using/seeing this stuff used? ive always heard of the rubber guard...and yes im aware of his accomplishments in abudhabi...but im curious what you guys have personally seen/personally experienced...cause right now im really interested and ready to work some people from my half guard

fill me in wise ones

I have taken the half guard and the lockdown aswell as the old school sweep and it

I like to fight from half guard, but I still prefer full guard or open guard to half for the following reasons:

- There are more submissions from full guard

- It is easier to sweep from full guard or open guard (debatable but true for me)

- Sweeps from half guard tend to place you in your opponent's half guard; sweeps from full guard usually gain mount

For taking the back, half guard is the best position though.

Balto said:
I like to fight from half guard, but I still prefer full guard or open guard to half for the following reasons:

- There are more submissions from full guard

- It is easier to sweep from full guard or open guard (debatable but true for me)

- Sweeps from half guard tend to place you in your opponent's half guard; sweeps from full guard usually gain mount

For taking the back, half guard is the best position though.
What submissions do you have from the bottom of the half-guard? I mostly use it for sweeps. I still feel more comfortable with the security both my legs bring.

Submissions from the bottom of the half guard? Leg locks i would say. Maybe some collar chokes.

The half guard sweeps in there are amazing. I would highly recommend it.

Te(V)plar said:
What submissions do you have from the bottom of the half-guard? I mostly use it for sweeps. I still feel more comfortable with the security both my legs bring.

I've been taught some collars chokes & kimura from that position.

The omoplata is a really smooth transition from Rubber Guard. I am pretty flexible, so it works for me.

In addition to Big Red's suggestion, you can set up an arm triangle, calf crank, kneebar, toehold, heelhook, you just have to know the set ups to get there. The calf crank can be switched to the heelhook, the the kneebar can be switched to a toehold, even the arm triangle could lead to you taking the back for an RNC.

Te(V)plar said:

subs from half.... electric chair, ezekiel & kimura are pretty easy to hit from half guard. the half guard is better for taking the back or sweeping than anything else.

the trick to half guard is laying on your side and not letting your opponent flatten you out.

NeelyWCU said:
what at about the sweep variations (names?) it seems like he has like, 3-4 legit variations if old school doesnt work...how have guys made out with them?

I have about a 10% sucess rate with old school. Most people put the leg back, so I just go to full guard.

just got back from training...and i got my teacher with old school...haha

now, granted, if he wanted he wouldnt let me get double underhooks...or even be in my halfguard...but once he was there, i did get him

long live eddie bravo

instead of viewing Eddie Bravo's stuff like
10th planet JJ vs BJJ

or non-gi JJ vs gi JJ,

all I can say is that I train at a BJJ school,
and studying Eddie's stuff has made me understand BJJ much better.

BJJ often times is presented without learning method. Just random stuff
thrown together.

Anytime a guy present their stuff with a sequence like Mario Sperry or Eddie Bravo,
it helps tons!!!

Thanx to great teachers such as Mario Sperry & Eddie Bravo!!!! I love their work!!!

Everybody in Brasil is amazed by Eddie's book. You go to class and all the guys are studying his stuff from white to black belt. Leo Viera is the one that doesn't drop the book even on the toilette. As for Gordo, it completely changed his approach to half guard.

I've been working his rubber guard and half guard any chance I get. I've had decent success with it.

tudor_bjj said:
. Leo Viera is the one that doesn't drop the book even on the toilette. As for Gordo, it completely changed his approach to half guard.

Leo is probably studying as much for his own game as for when and if he faces Eddie at ADCC again.

tudor_bjj said:
Everybody in Brasil is amazed by Eddie's book. You go to class and all the guys are studying his stuff from white to black belt. Leo Viera is the one that doesn't drop the book even on the toilette. As for Gordo, it completely changed his approach to half guard.

When were you in the toilet with Leo Vieira???? And why were you there?

Lockdown has really helped me take control of my opponents and setting up stuff like the Electric Chair, goin into stoner control. From Rubber Guard I always hit omoplata fairly easily. I think Eddie's techniques are some of the best out there.

Back