Importance of Weight in Tournaments

Well the thing about the big fat guy fights is that once you give up position, it is very hard to escape with that much weight on you. And most big guys do not pull guard because their guard game is not that good. So what ends up happening is that they spend most of the match on the feet fighting for takedowns, and eventually one guy takes the other guy down, holds him in side control, and then the time runs out and he wins 2-0. Kind of boring to watch.

Good to know, I need to work on my guard anyways, and guard passing anyways - one helps the other from a theory and concept standpoint. I like fun fights, not boring ones!

If I walk away defeated if it was fun I'm still stoked!

I'd rather be the smallest guy in my division rather than cut 2-3 pounds to be the biggest in the next. But then again I'm not expecting to be a world champion and am just doing this for shits and giggles. Cutting weight to me would take the fun out of it all.

I'd rather be the smallest guy in my division rather than cut 2-3 pounds to be the biggest in the next. But then again I'm not expecting to be a world champion and am just doing this for shits and giggles. Cutting weight to me would take the fun out of it all.

cutting weight is so easy dude.

I cut ten pounds for my first competition, and it was actually kinda fun to cut weight. it sucked that i had to wait so long to weigh in though. that was the worst part.

the best part was smoking weed after finishing the cutting process. I was outside of my house and saw in black and white for 15 seconds. It was awesome.

I cut ten pounds for my first competition, and it was actually kinda fun to cut weight. it sucked that i had to wait so long to weigh in though. that was the worst part.

the best part was smoking weed after finishing the cutting process. I was outside of my house and saw in black and white for 15 seconds. It was awesome.

Anything different in cutting weight for BJJ than anything else? I'm not too educated on the subject.

cutting 10 pounds is really easy. all you have to is make sure you have 2 gallons of water a day for up to 4 days before comp, and the day before the weighins you cut that down to 1 gallon.

you need to be loading sodium the whole time as well.

to cut the weight DO NOT exercise to sweat it out, that will just make you super tired. Instead get in a bathtub with HOT ASS WATER. I mean HOT. it should be so hot that you should get it in slowly or else it'll fucking hurt. Submerge your whole body except your head.

This is some of the worst weight cutting advice ever

Weight is important up and until technique smashes it.

This is some of the worst weight cutting advice ever

lol I learned from a power lifter that cut 27 pounds and was still able to deadlift 650 in meet

Who'd you learn from?

All three posts were really helpful and I appreciate them.

TheeFaulted my current weight is 197, but the tournament is in 5 days, and you weigh in WITH the gi, RIGHT before your first fight (should've mentioned that-- if it wasn't for the right before thing I wouldn't worry cause I'd just cut and then eat after). So, technically, with my gi, I assume my weight is around 200, and that means in four days I'd have to actually lose, and not just cut, 6 pounds.

6 pounds in 4 days is rough. I typically weigh around 194-195 and compete at 194.5 with the gi for IBJFF tournaments. I don't have a problem getting to 190, but I am very lean at 190, basically no body fat. However, I always start preparing to make the weight 3 weeks out and always try to be at weight on week before the tournament so I am not drained or fatigued for the tournament.

Personally I like being at top end of my weight division, but if I was in your situation I would just compete in the higher weight division. Better to be at full strength and energy in a higher weight class than weak and fatigued in a lower one.

I compete at 165 and under division and i walk around at 157, I never cut weight and I have done very well in competitions.

Anything different in cutting weight for BJJ than anything else? I'm not too educated on the subject.

as long as it's the standard day before competition weigh ins it's the same for any sport. the only thing that can change is the time of the weigh ins

Same boat here

I'm at 90.5 kilos with the gi on (was 92 just a few weeks ago but trained hard and lost weight). I'm really lean right now and can't cut to 88.3 before Saturday (Asian Open) and so I'm fighting in the under 94.5 kilos division. I have 3 other guys in my division, so cardio shouldn't be a HUGE deal, but I'm comfortable at my current weight. I am eating well and will be hydrated and ready. I'm not super strong for my weight, but I'll manage. Looking at how close I am, if I were going to the worlds, I would absolutely make a 1 month to 5 week slow cut down to make sure i hit the 88.3 kilo weight class.

However, this time around, I'll fight at my natural weight and see how it goes. Maybe I face a 94.5 kilo wall of muscle. Maybe I face a 94.5 pound chubby dude who I outmaneuver. Maybe I face a guy who is like me and falls at around 90-92 kilos. We'll see.

I compete at 165 and under division and i walk around at 157, I never cut weight and I have done very well in competitions.

I walk at 160 (but since cutting for worlds back in June, my weight has stayed between 155-160), but prefer to compete at feather. All I have to do now to make weight is cut out any booze for 30 days (ugh, BBQ'ing just aint the same w/o an ice cold dos equis in your hand...) and not eat after 7pm each night. I have thought about going up, and not worrying about any weight loss, but its an easy enough cut for me. have you given it any thought?

hahahaha that sounds awesome

hey y'all, this thread has gone behond just my personal question, which is what I wanted, but I thought you'd guys would want an update regardless:

I'm registered for the 181-195 class (the smaller one), and that's pretty much exactly what I weight with the gi, as of yesterday. I'm gonna reduce calories a lot the next few days just to clear the danger zone, but the comp is on Sunday, and I'm not really worried. I'm excited for my first competition.

Thanks for all the help bros

Same boat here

I'm at 90.5 kilos with the gi on (was 92 just a few weeks ago but trained hard and lost weight). I'm really lean right now and can't cut to 88.3 before Saturday (Asian Open) and so I'm fighting in the under 94.5 kilos division. I have 3 other guys in my division, so cardio shouldn't be a HUGE deal, but I'm comfortable at my current weight. I am eating well and will be hydrated and ready. I'm not super strong for my weight, but I'll manage. Looking at how close I am, if I were going to the worlds, I would absolutely make a 1 month to 5 week slow cut down to make sure i hit the 88.3 kilo weight class.

However, this time around, I'll fight at my natural weight and see how it goes. Maybe I face a 94.5 kilo wall of muscle. Maybe I face a 94.5 pound chubby dude who I outmaneuver. Maybe I face a guy who is like me and falls at around 90-92 kilos. We'll see.

At -94.5 kg in Asia, you are most likely to face a chubby dude

I am 208 and my instructor always puts me with the big guys to train. Last night I was rolling with this 290lb dude and I actually elevator swept him from guard. I hate to be in a heavy guys side control because they put their sweaty chest on my face and I can't breathe.

I normally walk around at somewhere between 166 and 170 lbs. For tournaments that I really care about I cut down to 159 but the last couple I did I competed at 169 instead. It's tough for me to say where I felt I did the better job as I've placed at both weights. I guess I feel more comfortable at 159 though as I don't think I've ever gone against someone at that weight that I didn't feel like I wasn't stronger than.

I am 208 and my instructor always puts me with the big guys to train. Last night I was rolling with this 290lb dude and I actually elevator swept him from guard. I hate to be in a heavy guys side control because they put their sweaty chest on my face and I can't breathe.

I'm a big guy and I really stress to not use my weight as a replacement for technique. It's a matter of learning when it's applicable to strengthen the technique...(knee on belly)

The tourney up here at WA has weight ins tens prior to your bracket starting. It also has you wear the gi for the weigh in.

I like this. Even tho I use the sauna a lot I think cutting weight is bad for the kidneys. Some people who loose up to 20 lbs before a MMA fight and then gain it back in a day may see damage in their elder years.

For kids I think it is terrible.

I think the best thing to do is stay at a healthy all the time while you train and try not to gain a lot between competitions.

Back