Importance of Weight in Tournaments

Neuro

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
How much, anecdotally or otherwise, would you say (your) weight class has affected (your) performance in tournaments?

I ask because I have a choice between fighting at 195-207, or cutting down to 181-195. Thing is, I'd have to cut weight like a serious wrestler since the tournament is in a week. But I'm right at 195 for the other class, and I don't wanna grapple dudes cutting down from 215.

I wanna do the tournament either way, but will that upper weight class really make a huge difference?

Any advice appreciated.

What is your current weight?

Cutting weight is always a give and pull, you may be "stronger" for the division, but the more you cut the more weaker and drained you will feel.

cutting 10 pounds is really easy. all you have to is make sure you have 2 gallons of water a day for up to 4 days before comp, and the day before the weighins you cut that down to 1 gallon.

you need to be loading sodium the whole time as well.

to cut the weight DO NOT exercise to sweat it out, that will just make you super tired. Instead get in a bathtub with HOT ASS WATER. I mean HOT. it should be so hot that you should get it in slowly or else it'll fucking hurt. Submerge your whole body except your head.

how much do you weigh? just curious to see what you view as "cut weight like a serious wrestler."

Anyways, it really depends on you. I am in between fighting weights, but I go down a bit just so I am not facing bigger dudes that potentially cut from an even higher weight. I could also go an ADDITIONAL class down, but even though I could out muscle those guys, I find that they are too fast for my style. On the other side, there are times where I like rolling against bigger guys because I find it easier "climb" them (if that makes sense?), I just hate it when they are pure muscle and smash me and I cannot play my game :)

so yeah, basically its up to you and your style. what works best?

All three posts were really helpful and I appreciate them.

TheeFaulted my current weight is 197, but the tournament is in 5 days, and you weigh in WITH the gi, RIGHT before your first fight (should've mentioned that-- if it wasn't for the right before thing I wouldn't worry cause I'd just cut and then eat after). So, technically, with my gi, I assume my weight is around 200, and that means in four days I'd have to actually lose, and not just cut, 6 pounds.

Chino, I know that 6 pounds isn't anything to cut (a person can fluctuate way more in a day), but I have to lose it for right before the fight, so I'm a little on edge doing that.

But, as you guys can see, I'd be way smaller for 195-207 division.

And Newerest, would the 2 gallon to 1 gallon of water a day thing still work even for the manner my weigh-in is being performed? I know that way of cutting weight, upping sodium and water intake (it activates hormones that cause you to urinate more, thus pissing out more water).

Thanks for your responses guys!

On the other side, there are times where I like rolling against bigger guys because I find it easier "climb" them (if that makes sense?), I just hate it when they are pure muscle and smash me and I cannot play my game :)

Also, yeah-- love this. That's what I'm planning on doing the absolute division for-- fun climbing bigger guys and trying to stay out of their strength zone. I'd prefer not to be getting smashed in my own division though.

When you say "climbing" I think of Marcelo, which is awesome haha.

I'd say in this situation the cut would not be a bad idea. You are undersized for your division, and its a very reasonable amount of weight to cut.

how do you function off of modifying your eating? as in, could you have your last meal at 4pm, and not eat until after your match? you would be amazed at how much lighter you will be after that.

Also, go grab some Acai cleanser (can be found at costco). It will start clearing you right out after day 2 or 3.

are the weigh-ins right before your fight or day b4?

TheeFaulted my current weight is 197, but the tournament is in 5 days, and you weigh in WITH the gi, RIGHT before your first fight (should've mentioned that-- if it wasn't for the right before thing I wouldn't worry cause I'd just cut and then eat after). So, technically, with my gi, I assume my weight is around 200, and that means in four days I'd have to actually lose, and not just cut, 6 pounds.

are the weigh-ins right before your fight or day b4?

:icon_arro

Also, yeah-- love this. That's what I'm planning on doing the absolute division for-- fun climbing bigger guys and trying to stay out of their strength zone. I'd prefer not to be getting smashed in my own division though.

When you say "climbing" I think of Marcelo, which is awesome haha.

Love that analogy!

What belt? I had the exact same situation before ibjjf Chicago at blue belt. I didn't cut so I wouldn't have the extra burden of worrying about missing weight. I weighed in before my division at 199lbs, the lightest guy in the division and won it. Then had a conversation with the second place guy about how he was cutting from 217 to make the division. I felt great at that weight and didn't feel small, I felt energetic and quick. I then lost the open weight to a smaller guy. My point is at white and blue belt, worry about being at the weight that will let you use your technique the best because the technique trumps weight.

I'm 304 right now (fighting to hit 299 - it's my first checkpoint) and was wondering what kind of sizes of guys you see in the "XL" size, is there even any competition in that weight range (225+)..My ultimate goal is 225 but it's taking time and I'd like to compete as a white belt sometime in the next 6 months.

An A3 or A4 gi weighs about 5 pounds, and the division is 194.5 and under with the gi on, right before your match.

That means if you're 197 naked in the morning five days before, you are NOT going to make weight unless you severely dehydrate yourself and do not eat. Do the -207.5 division, and compete fully hydrated, and with a little bit of breakfast in you.

Since you don't get a chance to rehydrate before your fight, there is no advantage to cutting water weight. If you cut, you will step on the mat at the same weight as your opponent. The purpose of cutting is so you can eat, rehydrate, and be bigger than your opponent at fight time, but that only works if you have at least several hours in between the weigh-in and the match.

I'm in kind of a similar position, I weighed 195 this morning naked, and I want to make 194.5 with the gi on, but it's for a tournament in November, so i'm going to actually diet and lose about five pounds of fat to make weight (NOT cutting). I'm doing that because one of my teammates is fighting in -207.5 and he's better than I am so I want to know that I actually have a chance of winning my weight division. I don't really feel like fighting him and I don't think he'll want to rock paper scissors for it.

I found out (the hard way) that i perform better with no weight cutting, even if i'm outweighted by a large margin.
I'm 77kg (without the gi), and i have trouble getting to 74kg without weight cutting. That leaves me against guys who are up to 82kg and a few behemots that cut down from the high 80's.
Because of the type of game i play (top game, good takedown defense, fast explosive stance/positional changes) i actually prefer to fight someone who is stronger but slower than myself. The spider monkeys of the lower weight classes give me a lot of trouble since i tend to give my back on scrambles.

If you are not looking into professional competition (or are aiming towards it), i say it's best to just compete at the weight you're most comfortable - both physicall and mentally. Changing weight classes without proper planning and just "cutting" can be more of a problem than an assistance. If you intend to do it, plan ahead. Diet, work out, lift weights, learn to cut weight, etc.

Of course, there's certain conditions that merit a weight change - like your weight class is full of your own teammates, you've won already that category before, or you got mandhandled.

I'm 304 right now (fighting to hit 299 - it's my first checkpoint) and was wondering what kind of sizes of guys you see in the "XL" size, is there even any competition in that weight range (225+)..My ultimate goal is 225 but it's taking time and I'd like to compete as a white belt sometime in the next 6 months.

You can fight at 304 if you want to. There is almost always an "unlimited" weight class. Most of the guys in it seem to be between 250-275, over 300-pounders are rare. Depends on the size and location of the tournament, but usually you will have at least two or three potential matches at a local tournament. If you go to mundials you'll have to win six or seven matches to get gold.

You can fight at 304 if you want to. There is almost always an "unlimited" weight class. Most of the guys in it seem to be between 250-275, over 300-pounders are rare. Depends on the size and location of the tournament, but usually you will have at least two or three potential matches at a local tournament. If you go to mundials you'll have to win six or seven matches to get gold.

I don't want to obviously (losing weight!) but would if I was there when the time came, I just don't have the experience yet.

Has anyone watched the unlimited fights, are they just as competitive?

I haven't competed yet (I will next month) but I don't think it has affected my performance, because I roll against smaller guys all the time, who are also white belts, and get schooled regularly. I know that will be the case when I compete.

yeah I don't think cutting weight is a good idea for these weigh ins. At all.

I don't want to obviously (losing weight!) but would if I was there when the time came, I just don't have the experience yet.

Has anyone watched the unlimited fights, are they just as competitive?

Well the thing about the big fat guy fights is that once you give up position, it is very hard to escape with that much weight on you. And most big guys do not pull guard because their guard game is not that good. So what ends up happening is that they spend most of the match on the feet fighting for takedowns, and eventually one guy takes the other guy down, holds him in side control, and then the time runs out and he wins 2-0. Kind of boring to watch.

Back