importance of leg pressure w/ arm bars

why anyone would take Bas Rutten's advice on submissions is beyond me

To say Bas has made a few erroneous statements in terms of submissions would be accurate, but to say that you shouldn't listen to the man is taking it too far.

Other than pinching your knees together you need to do a leg curl into their face and body.

You can pretty much be perpendicular and still grab his near leg, actually sometimes when i am using a particlar grip break, i will get a really deep grip on their leg so i am basically laying next to their leg, let them site up a bit and then use both hands to break their grip, learnt this from eddie bravo's book, he calls it "The Filho" after Paulo Filho who uses that method a bit.

That sounds quite like what we were learning. The instructors were just really stressing the importance of landing in the armbar position lying as close to his legs as possible.

Do you have a video of this grip break though?

To say Bas has made a few erroneous statements in terms of submissions would be accurate, but to say that you shouldn't listen to the man is taking it too far.

as far as striking goes, no problem, listen to him, but he is not exactly a submission wizzard or anything. I love the guy as a commentator, but as far as grappling goes, some of the stuff that comes out of his mouth is just so wrong i don't know where to start.

Your last point raises an interesting question for me. A purple belt was teaching us how to do Far-side armbars from knee on belly, and he said that when the armbar is applied, you should be quite close to his legs, so you can grab one of his legs, and keep him from circling away from you, and thereby relieving pressure on the armlock.

What do you think of this?

You should still be able to reach the leg if you are perpendicular. If you are doing the armbar from guard, you can even grab the pant material/underhook the leg as you are taking the opponent onto his back. If for some reason you can't reach it, you can also wait to see if your opponent swings his legs up and then back down to gain momentum to stack you - you can grab a leg when he swings his legs up.

You should still be able to reach the leg if you are perpendicular. If you are doing the armbar from guard, you can even grab the pant material/underhook the leg as you are taking the opponent onto his back. If for some reason you can't reach it, you can also wait to see if your opponent swings his legs up and then back down to gain momentum to stack you - you can grab a leg when he swings his legs up.

You know, I just read his post again, and I completely misunderstood his point in the first place.

That sounds quite like what we were learning. The instructors were just really stressing the importance of landing in the armbar position lying as close to his legs as possible.

Do you have a video of this grip break though?

no... i had a search on the net and couldn't find one either... i have it on DVD though :p

Yup, I did read it, have never crushed my nuts to finish an arm bar so far! :D

That's because you wear a cup. You should pinch your knees together anyway, may it be for leverage or for stability.

pinching the knees together is not necessary to complete the armbar..just to tighten your grip/control.. obviously there are lots of variations on the move but generally speaking, when you get the first leg into position it should ideally be tight enough to finish the move.

Pinching the legs is totally key to the armbar or kneebar. If you pinch hard enough, you barely need to pull on the arm.

At higher levels, people guard their arms very tightly, so you pretty much have to rape the arm to keep it in place. You can't leave any looseness. Elbow must be blocked, and the arm must be held firmly in place by pressure, until it's fully extended.

Our blackbelt also gives another variation of this, more for a self-defense application. Say you have his left arm. Instead of putting your legs straight across his chest and pinching his arm with your thighs, you would wrap your legs around his arm, such that your left foot hooks underneath his head, and your right leg can go across his neck, face, collarbone to keep him down.

The self-defence application comes in where you can drop your right heel down on his face repeatedly, and violently.

Pinching the legs is totally key to the armbar or kneebar. If you pinch hard enough, you barely need to pull on the arm.

At higher levels, people guard their arms very tightly, so you pretty much have to rape the arm to keep it in place. You can't leave any looseness. Elbow must be blocked, and the arm must be held firmly in place by pressure, until it's fully extended.

in an armbar from guard for instance, his arm should start hurting even before you get that leg over his face..

in an armbar from guard for instance, his arm should start hurting even before you get that leg over his face..

Exactly! It's all in correct execution of the setup. The finish hardly matters.

Yes its really important. Though it kinda fucks with me a bit, since I like to cross my legs on an armbar, so pinching the knees is real annoying for me.

Back