Immigration: What do you think and which candidate do you agree with most?

I don't understand how all products would go up in price all of a sudden if minimum wage went up. The point of capitalism is to have competition. If one business spiked the price on its products and used wages as an excuse then other companies will willingly sell their products cheaper so they can sell more. I just don't believe in these fear tactics that the rich love to use to keep the little man down.

Unless those companies all owned by the same people or network of people. But price competition should be happening even now. But I have not noticed it.

Building a huge wall on the border is stupid. They should go after the employers who hire the illegals. Make it impossible for them to get work and they'll stop coming but there's always going to be people that want the cheap labor so there's always going to be a steady flow of illegals. I never understood why people see an issue with people wanting to move here who want to improve the lives of their families but give employers a free pass. Those legal Americans are breaking the law just as much as the undocumented workers.

Pretty much this. It's the American men in suits breaking the law.

I disagree with this for some very simple reasons. I think most people are full of it on this evil corporation rhetoric. People vote with their wallets. They've proven over and over again that they don't want to do certain jobs for what those jobs are worth - they want $10 for a $5 job. They don't want to pay certain prices for products and the labor required to create them.

They do this and the corporations respond. They respond by hiring migrants to work the farms so the cost of food in the U.S. is lower than almost any other developed nation. They outsource labor so that our goods are cheaper than we have any right to expect. They do all of this and then people start complaining about how it gets done.

Corporations aren't the problem. They're just easy to blame. You want to stop illegal immigration? Get rid of the minimum wage, pay more in taxes and be willing to pay more for goods and services.

Americans can't have it both ways. We can't have tons of cheap crap but expect top dollar wages to produce it.

I know Australian and American agriculture are two different beasts but when Australia needed workers they started to expand the working holiday visa. Work for a few months on a farm and you can get another visa. It's nearly impossible for Westernized young adults to come to the United States and work but I could imagine adopting a similar program to Australia's working holiday program could work.

Back