Immediate rematches suck

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by lionp, Jan 1, 2013.

1. lionp

lionp White Belt

To people calling for an immediate Cain vs JDS rematch, it's a bad idea. If they fight again immediately, no matter who wins, it creates an awkward situation. The loser is still the #2 or #3 HW in the world. Let's say he beats two other guys - he'd then be deserving of another title shot. Then we'd be looking at Cain vs JDS 4! Or you create a situation where one of the guys basically gets stuck because they deserve a shot but no one wants to see it (Maynard, Edgar etc).

Much better to leave a little time between title shots. Let JDS fight 1 or 2 guys and then get his rematch. This isn't about fairness, it's about the longer term opportunities for fights in the division and avoiding a clog of the same 2 guys fighting too often in a short time span.

2. giantveggie

giantveggie Green Belt

I agree immediate rematches suck. There should be consequences for losing. The only time I want to see a rematch like that is a really close epic fight with a split decision, a DQ, a draw, or if these are the only 2 fighters left on the planet.

3. tkotom

tkotom Fedor belt

one or two wins sounds about right

4. Lowercase p

Lowercase p Purple Belt

I'm a JDS fan, but I agree. He lost fair in this one and it would tie up the division for too long to give him an immediate rematch and there are other interesting matchups for both guys.

5. jah provideth

jah provideth Blue Belt

i agree - a guy who loses should have to fight a tune up top 6-10 fighter and then a top 1-5 fighter to get back to a title shot.

6. thechoice2

thechoice2 Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Rankings have absolutely no bearing on deserving a title shot, everyone should know this by now.

7. let me bang bro**

let me bang bro** Banned Banned

I agree. The only time there should ever be an immediate rematch is if it was a controversial decision

8. Silverstar17

Silverstar17 Red Belt

I agree. JDS and Cain are here to stay. They will meet again anyway. But I want to see them destroy one or two other guys first.

9. Terminal

Terminal Purple Belt

I agree. And I don't understand how promoters think it's a good idea at all.

It's terrible for business and for the fighters. Would be much better if the UFC waited a while longer, let these guys rack up a few wins(at least), then if they're really that deserving they'll get the rematch and there will be so much more hype surrounding the next fight. Plus over a longer period of time both guys styles' will have probably evolved and the next fight shouldn't be as predictable and much more highly anticipated.

Like I think the Frankie Edgar situation is dumb. 2 losses in a row, yet he still drops down to fight Aldo. If he actually proved himself in that division first, then a year or so down the line when that big fight does happen it would be so much better for his own career and for the UFC long-term.

The only situation where an immediate rematch should be acceptable is if the fight is an epic, razor close decision or something.

10. 76Knockout

76Knockout Silver Belt

I want JDS to get some confidence back fist. He should win 2 fights before a rematch.

11. kaufman03

kaufman03 Purple Belt

I am jds fan and I agree
    jds needs at least 2 wins to get a title shot

let cain beat reem and enjoy the show

12. purpleheart

purpleheart Green Belt

Yes, unless there was a controversial 5 round war which should have basically been a draw.

It would be a waist to give both fighters no time to improve and have them fight each other again.

I believe if Junior gets it together he will beat Velasquez convincingly again however at this moment theres only the one punch ko.

13. r-harper-1

r-harper-1 Red Belt

Not a immediate rematch fan either esp in a blowout , If JDS had defended the title 4 or 5 times then i could see it coming sooner

14. iwhoopedbatman

iwhoopedbatman Fox Hunter Extraordinaire

There aren't enough real top contenders at HW to keep these guys apart for long. They're going to end up fighting 5 or 6 times. I don't care if the next one is next or in a couple of fights.

15. D.R.H.

D.R.H. If you haven't heard...I'm the best! Staff Member Senior Moderator

I hate auto title rematches. Unless the fight was a draw, you should have to win another fight first.

16. Texan6533

Texan6533 Fastest Gun in the West

I agree TS, especially if you lose convincingly. I don't see a #2 guy being any higher than #4 once losing to the champ. You gotta work your way back up.

17. D.R.H.

D.R.H. If you haven't heard...I'm the best! Staff Member Senior Moderator

It's funny, it was only a month or so ago I was having this conversation on here and I had a couple people telling me how retarded I was for thinking someone should drop down lower than number two after losing a title fight. Some people must like tons of rematches I guess.

18. VorTeX Raptor

VorTeX Raptor Brown Belt

I agree. JDS should make one or maybe two fights before another TS

19. AdamNewsome666

AdamNewsome666 Brown Belt

This idea is only JDS fans
    What if JDS loses again?

20. TheLastSamurai

TheLastSamurai Purple Belt

I don't think he's ready for an immediate rematch.