IMHO Carlos Condit has a better guard for MMA than Nick Diaz.

Not on this forum.

Yeah, but on this forum Diaz is terrible at every aspect of MMA, is a horrible person, and has never had a significant win in his entire career. Every time he's lost it's been a horrible beatdown and every victory has been unimpressive.

Replace Diaz with pretty much any fighter but GSP, and that sentence is still accurate.

There's a reason most people consider Sherdog forums to be a joke.

Condit has a great guard for MMA but it's one dimensional. His sweeps are very overrated, his submissions are excellent though. Diaz can do it all from guard all while never having his guard passed or taking damage. He has sweeps, submissions and more than just a closed/half guard game like Condit does. He plays inverted guard, turtle guard, whatever he needs to. It's just a more diverse, dangerous and altogether far superior guard.

You didn't need to post the gif, I've seen the fight countless times. He wasn't hitting that sweep without grabbing the cage (which he did, it was proven shortly after the fight happened). If you've spent time training BJJ, you know that sweep wasn't happening legally.

Pretty sure GSP took his back and Fitch reversed him from there, doesn't count as a sweep.

Diaz has a very PATIENT guard is one thing I've noticed. He's content to hold position or reverse pass attempts while waiting for an opening. The reason I prefer Condit's guard is that he's constantly searching for something, constantly making you work, and never gives you a moments rest, and even forces mistakes. Diaz has incredible technique on the ground clearly, but it's almost a if he's too passive at least in the fights I remember, and Condit is actually pretty close in skill level on the ground, and makes up for the gap with aggression. And though we're discussing the guard, you have to admit, Condit's top game and ground and pound is absolutely ruthless, something we really havent seen much of from Diaz.

I actually wish they fought on the ground a little more than the 15 seconds of the fifth round they had. Diaz took the back and looked good until Condit reversed him right before the round ended. Would've made for an EPIC ground battle.

Diaz has a very PATIENT guard is one thing I've noticed. He's content to hold position or reverse pass attempts while waiting for an opening. The reason I prefer Condit's guard is that he's constantly searching for something, constantly making you work, and never gives you a moments rest, and even forces mistakes. Diaz has incredible technique on the ground clearly, but it's almost a if he's too passive at least in the fights I remember,

I was really happy with the way he got back to his feet against Penn, the pre-black belt Diaz never would've done that. He used to play different guards and constantly threaten but he didn't seem to be aware of the fact that the judges likely had him down during those exchanges. Against Penn, he shut down his top game and then got back up as soon as he had some space. He did the same against Daley after he briefly pulled guard but Daley isn't exactly a great opponent to use as an example. Against Cyborg, he snagged the arm as soon as the fight hit the mat. I mean, say what you want about Cyborg but he's still a black belt who'd only ever been tapped by Nakamura.

I'm really anxious to see Diaz's guard again, people forget that he's more a BJJ fighter than he is a boxer. I think he has a more offensive guard in a subtle way, he managed to tire out a prime Diego Sanchez mostly from his back with his guard attacks. Condit's guard is more visibly aggressive, they're both effective though. The most impressive thing is how little damage each of them take when they're on their backs and how the top man is the one who typically ends up eating punches and getting more tired, that's what the guard's all about. Condit really showed that against Rory in round 2, I'd compare it to the end of Diaz/Riggs round 2.

and Condit is actually pretty close in skill level on the ground, and makes up for the gap with aggression. And though we're discussing the guard, you hae to admit, Condit's top game and ground and pound is absolutely ruthless, something we really havent seen much of from Diaz.

He showed some pretty great GnP against Tibau and Shamrock but yeah, it's more patient GnP as you described his guard. He uses it to wear guys down until the finish presents itself, he isn't hellbent on destroying his opponent the second he gets on top like Condit is.

I actually wish they fought on the ground a little more than the 15 seconds of the fifth round they had. Diaz toon the back and looked good until Condit reversed him right before the round ended. Would've made for an EPIC ground battle.

I really expected them to, Diaz always tries to take guys down but it's just nearly impossible to get someone down who's moving backwards. It's a big part of why Bisping is hard to keep down, you can't get deep in on a shot when someone's backpedaling (not trying to rehash that argument, just saying that was part of the reason why Diaz never came close to finishing a "traditional" takedown). It also appears Condit has improved his TDD significantly and is a lot stronger than he was during his WEC days.

Yeah, but on this forum Diaz is terrible at every aspect of MMA, is a horrible person, and has never had a significant win in his entire career. Every time he's lost it's been a horrible beatdown and every victory has been unimpressive.

Replace Diaz with pretty much any fighter but GSP, and that sentence is still accurate.

There's a reason most people consider Sherdog forums to be a joke.

Great post, and an excellent av as well.

Yah.. he does
23rojsi.png

hahaha much better guard

For MMA as a whole I can see the arguement that Condits grappling is superior but if were talking specifically agenst GSP I think its less obvious.

George is ultimately very very difficult to sweep or control for any lenght of time so I feel Diaz greater submission threat is probabley more of a danger to him.

Self bump IMO Condit gave GSP a better fight and did better on the ground but still war Diaz hope he isn't done

Honestly, I've always felt that Diaz's jiu jitsu, as a whole, was a bit overrated.

I mean, it's good, but people make it sound like his ground game was sent from heaven.

Carlos displayed bet BJJ against Georges than Nick did.

Back