Imbalance in squat

yocan

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
In advance no video. didn't think I"d need it so no camera at the gym.

Hurt my achilles tendon (partial tear) first time today I could get full range of motion in a squat with weight. Not lifting weight just enough weight so I know I'm doing the exercise right. Had someone watch to see if I'm getting all the way down and viola first time since I got hurt I have full range of motion...... at 190 lbs.:redface: but whatever its about getting back so much for my 375

Guy watching me said I seemed to favor the good leg at the bottom and I think I slid the other way when the tension was off my achilles (my right leg is actually stronger) So anything to focus on to help solve this problem? I'm not going up in weight until it looks right again.

Basically I think I start to the left and end to the right. did 5X5 today. at 190 by the end it was a little better (at that weight didn't need to push me knees out... but started thinking about it it helped a bit but still uneven)

Oh, I said first time I do a complete set of squats I'll try DL again..... and I was able to deadlift properly again... at the impressive weight of 275lbs..... lol

First, at any weight you should push your knees out. You build good technique by using it as much as possible, regardless of the weight. On lighter weights most of the effort is just staying tight, using good technique, etc. It's very likely that not pushing your knees out could be at least partially related, since it helps activate the glutes, and if one of the glutes was being activated better, or before the other, it could create the imbalance.

There's also the matter of how signifcant the imbalance is. Unless the guy watching you really knows his stuff, it's likely that if he noticed an imbalance it's signifcant, but that's just a guess. Many people of small asymmetries in lifts, especially at heavier weights, this is normal. If it's more signifcant than it's something that should be addressed. Regardless including unilateral work like step-ups, lunges or single leg squats would be a good idea. It could also be related to postural issues or a weak core. Do you have sciolosis (Scoliosis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)? Do you do any core work, and if so, what (give weights, reps, everything)?

If it's more signifcant (or even if it's not), then read the "neanderthal no more" articles (just google it), this: How to Optimize Posterior Chain Power: Glute Activation | StrongLifts.com, and this: 7 Dynamic Stretches to Improve Your Hip Mobility | StrongLifts.com.

Definetly get a video of squats as soon as possible, at various weights.

try with a small wedge in front of your toes to help with balance. Less than 1cm.

First, at any weight you should push your knees out. You build good technique by using it as much as possible, regardless of the weight. On lighter weights most of the effort is just staying tight, using good technique, etc. It's very likely that not pushing your knees out could be at least partially related, since it helps activate the glutes, and if one of the glutes was being activated better, or before the other, it could create the imbalance.

There's also the matter of how signifcant the imbalance is. Unless the guy watching you really knows his stuff, it's likely that if he noticed an imbalance it's signifcant, but that's just a guess. Many people of small asymmetries in lifts, especially at heavier weights, this is normal. If it's more signifcant than it's something that should be addressed. Regardless including unilateral work like step-ups, lunges or single leg squats would be a good idea. It could also be related to postural issues or a weak core. Do you have sciolosis (Scoliosis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)? Do you do any core work, and if so, what (give weights, reps, everything)?

If it's more signifcant (or even if it's not), then read the "neanderthal no more" articles (just google it), this: How to Optimize Posterior Chain Power: Glute Activation | StrongLifts.com, and this: 7 Dynamic Stretches to Improve Your Hip Mobility | StrongLifts.com.

Definetly get a video of squats as soon as possible, at various weights.
Various weights umm not going to go heavy.. no way in hell. but sure no weight, bar, 135 and 190 I can do.

I didn't have this issue before I got hurt so I think its just a I need a temporary fix so I can get stronger. I'm thinking your right about the knees/acclimation again for it all.

My right side has been slightly bigger since tenth grade, ripped my left pec in 3 places at the attachment points (swimming with paddles bad idea to try to race a college kid..... 1 tear in the middle of my collerbone, one at the lowest point of my pec, one where it attaches to my arm (I think that one regrew) the other two well you can tell my pec doesn't go down that far on that side) I also jumped over someone on a staircase landing on an inch of heel (caught it was going for the step below) massively overstretching the top left of my left ankle.

So yes, my left side is slightly smaller. Its even in my USMC medical records, they noted it as a non-issue but as a physical anomoly. If memory serves from the chiropractors 2 scale thing 6 lbs less on the left side.

The guy that noticed squats 500 lbs. I think he's fairly experienced. I was asking him to watch due to unsure if I could get all the way down and wanted to know if I was so he was watching and he knew I was hurt. (he didn't have a choice..... all the places to squat were taken he was waiting on me)

I'm going to do the hip stuff you linked tonight and tomorrow. and video tape wednesday. The big muscles don't feel a thing the little stabilizers feel like they worked but they also heal faster.

Had surgery a few months back and I initially favoured my right side. Keep squatting and add in a ton of unilateral work.

p90x_32.jpg

ITS EXTREME!!!!

"I did p90x and my muscles were all like "ware da fuck am i??". You should try it." -Origins

Squat more with a light weight and it'll correct it's self (either that or you'll become lopsided.)

Back