"I'm used to breaking guys in the gym"

Weidman vs Machida was high level MMA. two intelligent fighters playing gameplan chess. Against Vitor it is going to be different. If Weidman stays focused, he will most likely win an UD, but if he makes a mistake against Vitor......it will be lights out.

There will be no UD. Belfort has a solid puncher's chance to win the fight, but if he doesn't knock Weidman out, he won't last five rounds. Vitor Belfort ain't a five-round kind of guy.

Calm down Chris them guys are paid to be beaten & broken in the gym by the title holding champ. There would be hell to pay if you got popped and put out of a fight by a sparring partner.

You make a good point except CW only lost one round . I think he needs to be pushed more to help his cardio , to me that is his only weakness . That's why machida had success later in the fight .

I don't like this quote from him.

In the gym, he is there to train, not "break guys".
They are there to work in function of making him better. They are not trying to break him.

But on the other hand, this gotta be also his confidence speaking...

I take nothing from this quote.

I don't like this quote from him.

In the gym, he is there to train, not "break guys".
They are there to work in function of making him better. They are not trying to break him.

But on the other hand, this gotta be also his confidence speaking...

I take nothing from this quote.

By "breaking guys", he means pushing them to their limits, until they can't go anymore. That's what training is all about. He's not talking about bullying or injuring sparring partners.

There's no "ideal" training routine for MMA. What's to say never sparring like Robbie Lawler is less effective than having 5 round wars with Cain everyday like DC?

You can make endless arguments either which way.

Robbie takes no damage so he's 100% fresh for fights. DC is used to the grueling pace, blah blah.

I think the future of MMA is guys evolving more and more in different areas, but keeping it much simpler and tweeking the techniques a little bit here and there. I don't think anyone will be able to keep pulling off the same tricks over and over without getting passed by or figured out by other fighters. You can't be just great at a couple things and expect to be the champ for a long time. I think Weidman is about as well rounded a fighter as it gets.....for now. Eventually someone will put it all together a little bit better and take over for him. Anderson, Machida, and Vitor rely too much on striking to really be threats. Someone like Rockhold in a year of two would be the kind of fighter to give Weidman a run....

Against Machida it appeared to me that it was Weidman that "broke." Machida just ran out of time in the fight.

A number of guys have said Weidman should have the "Prodigy" nickname because if you show him something in training, he picks it up instantly and masters it.

I forgot who it was recently but they said the showed him a new/difficult submission and the next day he was tapping everyone out in class with it. He just outworks guys.

No.

c79b0c.gif

Last edited:
lol@impeccable cardio DC's gas tank is nowhere near as big as teh Chris and while having good partners does help that wasn't enough to help DC beat Jones

Machida stole the 5th when he went postal.

Isn't the 5th round where Weidman landed a punch that made Machida's legs go rubber? Weidman was winning that round and all machida did was like a 8 second flurry where everything was either blocked or did no damage. Weidman wasn't even wobbled after that

Isn't the 5th round where Weidman landed a punch that made Machida's legs go rubber? Weidman was winning that round and all machida did was like a 8 second flurry where everything was either blocked or did no damage. Weidman wasn't even wobbled after that

No that was the 6th round (the one you made up in your head).

Well what he does seems to be working for him.

There's no "ideal" training routine for MMA. What's to say never sparring like Robbie Lawler is less effective than having 5 round wars with Cain everyday like DC?

You can make endless arguments either which way.

Robbie takes no damage so he's 100% fresh for fights. DC is used to the grueling pace, blah blah.

Bullshit. The only way to get good at something is by sparring.

There's a reason you don't see aikido etc in the UFC and it isn't just because their martial art has little to no practical value; it's also because they don't practise live sparring.

Chris Weidman said in the post fight press conference after he beat up Machida. I know this is late as tits, but I had shit to do. Did this strike anyone else as odd? Not that he beats up everyone in the gym, there's no doubt that he's the alpha of Serra-Longo. But that he is always the one (that is an assumption on my part) pushing other people and not getting pushed himself?

Maybe they attempt to push him but in the end everyone still gets broken by him there.

Back