"I'm used to breaking guys in the gym"

Da Speeink

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Chris Weidman said in the post fight press conference after he beat up Machida. I know this is late as tits, but I had shit to do. Did this strike anyone else as odd? Not that he beats up everyone in the gym, there's no doubt that he's the alpha of Serra-Longo. But that he is always the one (that is an assumption on my part) pushing other people and not getting pushed himself?

First off let me preface by saying that whatever he's been doing in the past is obviously working as he's undefeated and the champ. But, a big part of training is having good training partners. That is a big reason as to why DC and Velasquez have been so successful and have impeccable cardio. So the question is, is Weidman limiting his full potential by not having better partners and "breaking guys in the gym". You all saw what happened when he didn't break a guy, he lost the last 2 rounds.

the only round he lost is the 4th. What are you talking about?

So far, it seems to be working well for him. He is one of the most dominant fighters today.

There aren't very many men in the entire world whom he wouldn't break. That rather limits the training partners he can bring in, eh?

Sure, he could go train with HW's at another camp or something, but what he's doing is working fine. A different gym, travel, different training partners, that doesn't always work out great for someone.

Did you see the Dragon's face? Though, I have to give credit to Machida, he did good and got in many clean shots. Weidman is the champ for a reason, he has the heart of one and he is as tough as they come. By the way, he said he had a bad camp and I do believe him!

Hes not going to get broke by a single guy. Thats what bull rings are for, mutiple fresh guys switching off.

Also, coaches are there to push you, its not really a training partners "job"

Gym Wars are overrated, so is sparring for elite fighters.

He obviously spends a tremendous amount of time and effort on his technique, drilling, and his S&C.

There is really nothing you can do if you're the best. Where are you going to find guys who are better than you? What you do is bring guys in from various disciplines who might be better than you at their specific discipline, and work with them. Weidman does that. You also work with coaches who are masters of their craft. Weidman does that. MMA is a mixed bag. There is no shortage of guys who are better strikers, grapplers, etc. Another common technique is spreading the workload amongst journeymen. Have a fresh guy come in each round, etc.

That being said, there is no evidence that Weidman isn't getting the training he needs. Quite the opposite.

i think machida wins the rematch. IMO a big reason weidman won is because of longos brilliant gameplanning. i think machida had him figured out by the end and i dont think weidman could do it a second time.

i think machida wins the rematch. IMO a big reason weidman won is because of longos brilliant gameplanning. i think machida had him figured out by the end and i dont think weidman could do it a second time.

I see Machida being no more than a moderate threat to weidman's belt.

But Machida still won't be able to stop Weidman's takedowns and G&P until Chris tires in the later rounds. So even if Machida does have Chris's standup figured out, he still needs to knock the champ out to take the belt. And I don't think he can do that.

I'm sure he's got some decent sparring partners at Serra/Longo all ready. He is the MW fucking champ, after all.

Weidman vs Machida was high level MMA. two intelligent fighters playing gameplan chess. Against Vitor it is going to be different. If Weidman stays focused, he will most likely win an UD, but if he makes a mistake against Vitor......it will be lights out.

Machida would whoop him in a rematch, and jacare would beat him too.

these kinds of comments are only appreciated after he loses, then people will pile on him - but yea, i see what you're saying, wouldnt hurt to have someone who can push him, if in fact there arent any

Back