I'm surprised at how far down the ladder Anderson's GOAT status has dropped

Here's the thing

It depends on my Depends.
@Green
Reaction score
Doesn't anybody remember how highly people used to think of him in these forums? He was like Jesus to half of the guys on Sherdog...."The GOAT and it's not even close". Now, he hardly ever gets referenced. What's even worse, people have the audacity to compare his striking to Conor's. It's shocking really. I really miss his fights. He was an absolute killer and had the best striking in UFC history. He also had a jaw made of pure iron. My theory is that part of it's because a lot of the people who worshipped him are no longer active in Sherdog. But I could be wrong. Maybe it's just recency bias.

Anderson is the GOAT Middleweight and that's all anyone ever needs to know... Arguably the greatest of all time at any weight... Certainly his MW run was something incredible to watch.

He really was something special... The way he destroyed great fighters like they were nothing for years... My all time favourite UFC championship run.

jpuh7c_jpg.gif

86220d7562be35d61ad48b337c40b2a0a183046811dc9374215c28fdcaf3aed6

nMHUt2.gif

Silva-upkick-on-Okami-ROTR.gif

CarefulUnfortunateDrever-size_restricted.gif

untitled-8n7yn5_medium.gif

Crazy-Anderson-Silva-Matrix-GIF-2.gif

KO-Front-Kick-Anderson-Silva-vs-Vitor-Belfort-GIF.gif

giphy.webp

asilvafinfranklin_medium.gif

gOH3BrB.gif

DimpledBackFox-size_restricted.gif

giphy.gif

tumblr_o39ebhG6Ju1u2ragso4_r1_250.gif

giphy.webp

10001968.gif

t01auf.gif

silva%20v%20hendo.gif

hqsonnentaps_medium.gif

30b74978cb9c44971415da5993fca3f4.gif

Last edited:
He fell from grace when he popped for steroids. If GSP were to popped, he would also become a byword and a proverb.

Doesn't anybody remember how highly people used to think of him in these forums? He was like Jesus to half of the guys on Sherdog...."The GOAT and it's not even close". Now, he hardly ever gets referenced. What's even worse, people have the audacity to compare his striking to Conor's. It's shocking really. I really miss his fights. He was an absolute killer and had the best striking in UFC history. He also had a jaw made of pure iron. My theory is that part of it's because a lot of the people who worshipped him are no longer active in Sherdog. But I could be wrong. Maybe it's just recency bias.

If i could snap my fingers and magically inherit any MMA fighter evers skill set his would be the one i would want. Not the biggest or strongest, or toughest, but damn was he skilled. His boxing footwork, defense, his Thai clinch, his one punch power, kicks, elbows. ability off his back etc.

He fell from grace when he popped for steroids. If GSP were to popped, he would also become a byword and a proverb.

That's fucked up though, because Jones got a pass. I mean, as far as pure skill, Silva is better than someone like Jones. A much better fighter overall. He just doesn't have octopus arms.

If i could snap my fingers and magically inherit any MMA fighter evers skill set his would be the one i would want. Not the biggest or strongest, or toughest, but damn was he skilled. His boxing footwork, defense, his Thai clinch, his one punch power, kicks, elbows. ability off his back.
It's sad how easily so many forget all this.

It was hard to deny him as the GOAT when you actually saw him fighting in his prime. Obviously GOAT in talent compared to GOAT legacy are completely different which is why his stock has dropped since.

Anderson is the GOAT Middleweight and that's all anyone ever needs to know.

Nobody talks about it because there's no reason to debate.

jpuh7c_jpg.gif

86220d7562be35d61ad48b337c40b2a0a183046811dc9374215c28fdcaf3aed6

nMHUt2.gif

Silva-upkick-on-Okami-ROTR.gif

CarefulUnfortunateDrever-size_restricted.gif

untitled-8n7yn5_medium.gif

Crazy-Anderson-Silva-Matrix-GIF-2.gif

KO-Front-Kick-Anderson-Silva-vs-Vitor-Belfort-GIF.gif

giphy.webp

asilvafinfranklin_medium.gif

gOH3BrB.gif

DimpledBackFox-size_restricted.gif

giphy.gif

tumblr_o39ebhG6Ju1u2ragso4_r1_250.gif

giphy.webp

10001968.gif

t01auf.gif

silva%20v%20hendo.gif

hqsonnentaps_medium.gif

30b74978cb9c44971415da5993fca3f4.gif

And what about his fight with James Irvin? Holy shit. That was like something choreographed from a bad-ass ninja movie.

That's fucked up though, because Jones got a pass. I mean, as far as pure skill, Silva is better than someone like Jones. A much better fighter overall. He just doesn't have octopus arms.
He ain't got a pass from me

1 Fedor
2 Gsp

--Dick pills tier disqualified--

Tends to happen when you keep getting caught cheating.

He's the guy we hope Izzy turns into.

What other champ has people hoping a clone comes along?

And what about his fight with James Irvin? Holy shit. That was like something choreographed from a bad-ass ninja movie.
James Irvin is another favourite of mine...

irvin_kick.gif
Untitled-3-2.gif

tumblr_mk16s9iO5T1qhndw9o1_400.gif

He fell off sadly too...

It's sad how easily so many forget all this.

Basically. If only for self defense purposes, the ability to make guys miss in the standup and control them via the clinch, knock them on their asses, are the most important skills you can have imo. Wrestling ability and BJJ are great but i don't want to go to the ground anywhere, be it on the street or on a mat.

For all the talk of the continued advancement of the relative skill of MMA fighters, i don't see anyone who has as advanced a skillset as he had.

Back