Media "I'm Sonny Liston, I'm Jack Dempsey...."

Prime Tyson has always been a myth. He briefly dominated a weak era of fat mediocre HWs and got KTFO by a journeyman in his prime. He was marketed very well by the men he still attacks: Cayton and Jacobs.

You're a clown. He won the belt at 20 years old and yeah his era wasn't great but in his prime he was amazing. He started losing because he didn't train, that's on him but that's the main reason he lost.

Brock going berserk after the Mir 2 fight at UFC 200 has to be the greatest MMA post fight ever. Not so much the speech, but the actions afterward. It was legendary entertainment.
The mayer of suplex city.

You're a clown. He won the belt at 20 years old and yeah his era wasn't great but in his prime he was amazing. He started losing because he didn't train, that's on him but that's the main reason he lost.

And because he quit whenever another fighter stood up to him. Tyson was a scary dude, no doubt, but his fighting abilities and reign are vastly overrated. Even before Douglas he had some bad performances. His reputation is mostly off the Spinks fight where Spinks showed up for the payday and went down ASAP.

For all Mike's faults he was actually very well spoken and well read (educated -I'm sure he was mostly self taught/educated).

He isnt well educated, he just to read a shit ton of books while in prison, go back and watch some of his interviews before he went to prison

And because he quit whenever another fighter stood up to him. Tyson was a scary dude, no doubt, but his fighting abilities and reign are vastly overrated. Even before Douglas he had some bad performances. His reputation is mostly off the Spinks fight where Spinks showed up for the payday and went down ASAP.

Spinks wasn't the first to go down asap. Dudes were scared of him. That's not all on reputation it's because he hit scary hard and moved scary fast. Tyson wasn't even really a hw but he had hws scared to death to fight him.

Not only won a belt, he was and still is the youngest man to ever unify the titles.

Spinks went down ASAP because he got brutally KO'd. I really don't think that was his plan.

Spinks went down ASAP because he got brutally KO'd. I really don't think that was his plan.

Yeah and isn't spinks one of the great lightheavies ever? And he went down like a sack of potatoes.

He certainly did a good imitation of it. Gus in the rematch against Jones seemed more game.

Lol

And then Lennox absolutely whooped his ass and stole whatever was left of his manhood

Lennox is the GOAT

Lennox hes no alexander... and then Lennox whupped his ass

Prime Tyson has always been a myth. He briefly dominated a weak era of fat mediocre HWs and got KTFO by a journeyman in his prime. He was marketed very well by the men he still attacks: Cayton and Jacobs.

Fat? Maybe Tony Tubbs, the rest were generally big physical specimens. Sounds like you are talking about the HW division of the last 15 years though. Get educated before you speak next time. Tysons HW era was much better than we have seen for a long time.

I just compared Tyson's and Wladimir Klitschko's accomplishments ... it's shouldn't come as no surprise that Tyson in his early 20s competed more often than Wlad in his 30s. For instance, he needed 2 years for 9 title defenses opposed to Wlad, who needed 4 years for the same amount of title defenses.

But also the level of competition. If you put Wlad's level of competition he had his title defenses against (Ibragimov, Chagaev, Chambers, etc.) in front of Tyson, Tyson probably gets the same amount of title defenses in a much shorter amount of time. And while someone like Buster Douglas was better than them, at least on his best day, I believe that Tyson burned out quicker due to his style / activity, and therefore may eventually lose to one of Wlad's opponents.

Wlad will probably be ahead of Tyson in ATG lists, but those lists often distort reality.

He certainly did a good imitation of it. Gus in the rematch against Jones seemed more game.

He certainly did look scared shitless, but he did get punched hard as hell.

I just compared Tyson's and Wladimir Klitschko's accomplishments ... it's shouldn't come as no surprise that Tyson in his early 20s competed more often than Wlad in his 30s. For instance, he needed 2 years for 9 title defenses opposed to Wlad, who needed 4 years for the same amount of title defenses.

But also the level of competition. If you put Wlad's level of competition he had his title defenses against (Ibragimov, Chagaev, Chambers, etc.) in front of Tyson, Tyson probably gets the same amount of title defenses in a much shorter amount of time. And while someone like Buster Douglas was better than them, at least on his best day, I believe that Tyson burned out quicker due to his style / activity, and therefore may eventually lose to one of Wlad's opponents.

Wlad will probably be ahead of Tyson in ATG lists, but those lists often distort reality.

It's not only a Klitschko thing. I think it's fair to say that the frequency at which champions defend their belt has dropped linearly with time. It used to be even higher watching boxing records in the older eras. Than it dropped gradually in the 80s 90s and we have now the current champions in any division not even fighting more than once or twice a year.

Kelly Pavlik made a good point in the JRE podcast. Most are biased when judging which guy was the greatest based on what they witnessed when they were young theirself. It's more likely that people in their 70s pick the Liston's and Ali's and people in their 50s pick the Tyson's and Lewis' and than you might have some younger fans in their 20s who all they have really seen is Wladimir's absolute domination for more than 10 years.

" ....... UM, GOD AMEN, WHAT!?.....I was gonna rip his heart out , I'm the best eva! I'm the most brutal and the most viscious and ruthless champion there's ever been. I'm Sonny Liston, I'm Jack Dempsey, I'm from their cloth. There's no one that can match me. My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable and I'm just ferocious. I want your heart , I wanna eat his children."

Prime Mike Tyson was something otherworldly.
Truly the most terrifying human being one can imagine. Gotta love him.

Has there ever been a post fight speech in MMA as savage, vile, terrifying and memorable as this one?

I read it in his voice lol

Haha Tyson pure savage on British shores.

You're half right my friend. But you are underrating him too.

Thomas
Berbick
bruno
Tucker
Tubbs
Spinks
Old Larry was still good as he later showed
Razor Ruddock x2

His record pre prison was actually really good. A lot of his opponents are actually underrated.

Tony Tucker especially was a very good boxer mover.

Tubbs was fat, but had fast hands and slick skills.

Razor Ruddock was a beast and easily the most avoided man at the time. Tyson and Ruddock beat the shit out of one another. Tyson especially walked through shots like a man posessed.

Certainly not the era of the 70's or even 90's. But the 80's was much better than now and some other decades . I know Ruddock was early 90's but still pre prison

Tyson isn't the invincible machine that John Doe says he is.

Likewise he isn't just some bully that folds when someone stands up to him either.

Apologies for the long winded post, but I have never seen a fighter so over and underrated in history.

the best is when he goes....asamalaka midah.....um...i dunno man....what!

Back