I'm picking Cain Velasquez in the rematch.

In Cain/JDS one he played into JDS' game at fought at range with no real pressure. In the rematch he shot repeatedly to solidify the threat of the TD and get JDS' hands lower. Eventually he landed the big shot then exploited JDS' lack of a clinch for the rest of the fight.

In Cain/Werdum he lost the fight everywhere. Even when he was pressuring early and getting into the clinch he was taking the worse of the exchanges. He got picked apart at range and in the pocket from the 2nd round on. By the third he had no safe haven and was forced to take the small chance of neutralizing Werdum on the ground and ended up getting submitted instantly.

There's no simple answer or easy exploit in Werdum's game for Cain and his camp here. Werdum matches up well with Cain everywhere.

This.
Werdum destroyed Cain everywhere. I dont see Cain winning the belt back anytime soon.
Stylistically it was a bad fight for Cain. Maybe JDS or Stipe might have a chance ?

Did you actually watched the fight or just kept reading threads in sherdog about how he was not in great shape and not sea level altitude affected his conditioning? Because it looks like the knees to the body and continuous eating punches can have similar effect and Werdum shook off every thing Cain landed. Werdum was the cause Cain ran out of fuel...

I watched the fight and gave Velasquez the first round. I don't find it at all farfetched that the change of altitude affected his conditioning; I know I've found it laborious to move at the top of a tall mountain (granted, I'm not a professional athlete). I certainly don't rule out that Werdum could win a rematch but even if he does, I believe it will be a much better fight.

Cain will last maybe another round and lose again, or maybe last until he loses in a decision.

JDS landed a bomb in him, Werdum destroyed him everywhere, in Cain

Werdum did a pretty good job of systematically breaking him down.

Junior dos Santos clipped Cain and finished him early, Werdum systematically broke him down and wore him out from the clinch and submitted him. Completely different scenarios.

Cain at sea level, Werdum at high altitude.

So what will Cain do differently OP?
If he tries that wall and brawl against Werdum he will eat knees in Werdum's Muay thai clinch.

Styles make fights and Werdum is a very bad style match up for Cain.

Cain is great against wrestlers who can't strike and strikers that can't wrestle and thats where it ends.

That is what you said the first time and look what happened. I am not saying that cain won't do that but werdum played his game and won.

He was winning up until Rn2: 3:07...
v9zb7E.gif

I was picking Cain the first fight and he got dominated. However, I am still not so confident Werdum will repeat that again. I will say Werdum but it could really be a different Cain were gonna see

Cain actually might win, and the thought terrifies me, because we will be right back in that fucking Dominick Cruz holding pattern we were in for years.

The first fight against junior he got flattened in a minute by a bomb, and came back and won the rematches because he took the fight to JDS. Werdum fought Cain's fight the entirety of their first fight and still won anyway.

The dynamic of the rematch is totally different in this case.

Yeah, but people were saying the same thing they are saying now. They were saying JDS was just too good for Cain.

And how was it so different? In the first fight Cain was out of shape and didn

This.
Werdum destroyed Cain everywhere. I dont see Cain winning the belt back anytime soon.
Stylistically it was a bad fight for Cain. Maybe JDS or Stipe might have a chance ?

Yah, I see both of those guys having a good shot to beat Werdum. I would favor JDS over Werdum, but would favor Werdum over Stipe. I think Andrei is also a good potential when he gets his shot, he should be able to take care of Mir.

I still think the toughest match up for Werdum is a better and faster striker with good TDD.

Werdum will win again. I don't think Cain's cardio will be as great as it once was.

Of course Cain COULD win, and he is still probably the 1st/2nd best HW on the planet. The point is that he is completely undeserving of an immediate rematch. He held the division up for two years, then got dominated in pretty much every way possible when he did finally fight. Let the others fighters who've been fighting and winning get their shots at it, while Cain can another big fight or two to prove he still should be fighting for a title.

Thing people don't get it Cain hit Werdum early in the first rd hard and pushed him hard and Werdum was not bothered whatsoever.

Werdum is long and uses his jab and Cain does not want to hit the canvas with him.

Cain also looked suspect in the thai clinch.

Bad matchup for Cain...

Yeah, but people were saying the same thing they are saying now. They were saying JDS was just too good for Cain.

And how was it so different? In the first fight Cain was out of shape and didn

Back