1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

I'm on Bloody Elbow's Judo Chop!

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Drew Foster, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Drew Foster

Drew Foster Silver Belt

2. Bathwater

Bathwater Let me clean you with my love

That's pretty damn cool. You're famous!

3. Drew Foster

Drew Foster Silver Belt

LOL nah, but I think I did do a good job of explaining the Marcelo Guillotine. The youtube links were mine too. I thought there would be more I DIDN'T write. Everything from the mention of my name on is written by me.

4. Bathwater

Bathwater Let me clean you with my love

Btw was your correspondence done through email or what? And how did you get to be a guest?

5. Drew Foster

Drew Foster Silver Belt

I emailed him from class and told him I would love to see a Judo Chop on the CB Dollaway sub. He asked if I had any comments on the GIFs, as he was working on it at that moment. Great timing. I wouldn't have done it, but the piece you see that I wrote on the Marcelo variation was viewed by MGinaction and they really liked it so I recycled it. I figured if my write-up was good enough for MGinaction that it would be good enough to be used here.

6. beeran1

beeran1 Purple Belt

7. fourfif**

fourfif** Banned Banned

Thorough and very well written analysis.

Great article. The gifs really brought the piece together.

8. AboveThisFire

AboveThisFire Green Belt

Awesome job Drew!

9. xMikeyX

xMikeyX Purple Belt

good job!

10. LiT_WiCK

LiT_WiCK Brown Belt

[​IMG]

this escape reminds me of Chris Farley falling down

11. Drew Foster

Drew Foster Silver Belt

LOL I can see it!

12. tysnw

tysnw Brown Belt

very well written and a crystal clear analysis drew!

13. YeahBee

YeahBee Samdog Original Nine

look at his arm shooting out like that, you think he was going for a rolling firemans carry?

almost looks like he is trying to get the arm thru the legs, and then he goes to his knee but too far way

14. fiftysvn

fiftysvn Purple Belt

Nice breakdown. It sucks that most of the compliments were to Kid Nate instead of you. That irked me a bit.

On another note, what do people think about mma journalists who do not train? Do you think their lack of formal training takes away anything from their analysis? You would figure that these writers would want to train in order to improve their own understanding of the sport. It's just not the same to be a pure spectator.

Anyway, great article. Did you make the gifs yourself?

15. Belatucadros

Belatucadros Brown Belt

I don't think so. That's a pretty common wrestling move, I forget the name though...peeking out?

It's sort of like a sit-out, but from standing. Works great for a standing back take if the guy is trying a guillotine...but I've never tried it with one locked that tight.

Hopefully one of the wrestlers on board can comment. Whenever I do it (using that image), my left hand is grabbing his right wrist before I do it. Then I turn away from him and posture up, ruining his grip and circle to his back for some sort of throw. (Or you could judo his ass, depending on your grip/other arm, but it feels more natural to continue through imo. I hit yama arashi off of it sparring once though. It was a hot mess but, the guy went down hard ;p )

16. Belatucadros

Belatucadros Brown Belt

Article stated the gif author, wasn't Drew but I forget the name.

I agree re: the compliments. And him replying to every single one saying "thanks" doesn't help either haha.

GREAT writeup Drew

re: training as a reporter...I think they should, at least basics. I do like how this guy knows he has no knowledge and calls in others. I think that's brilliant of him.

I would also make the argument that not every reporter "trains" their subject - imagine your average night of news - but in the case of MMA it's absolutely possible to do so and I think any good reporter will take the time to do so.

I don't see how you follow a world so closely and never have the desire to step into the pool.

But to me(CS nerd) I don't understand how someone uses a computer without questioning how/why it works,what they can do with it etc...and most people just don't.

17. Da Speeit

Da Speeit CANCEROUS POSTER Platinum Member

In bed with your bitch, watching game of thrones,
    you spelled "feat" wrong in the first paragraph.

Other than that, good paragraph. I lurk the grappling forum like no other, and you always have good perspective and knowledge, and it's good to see youre getting a larger audience.

18. fiftysvn

fiftysvn Purple Belt

exactly how i feel.

a big reason why i training in bjj was because i was an mma fan who just wanted to gain a better understanding of the sport.

FWIW though Bloody Elbow is the only mma website on my rss feed and I do enjoy their articles very much.

19. Da Speeit

Da Speeit CANCEROUS POSTER Platinum Member

In bed with your bitch, watching game of thrones,
    *good analysis.

20. Belatucadros

Belatucadros Brown Belt

Actually it's funny because I was the reverse. My training is what got me watching MMA. And lots of it.

I'm slowly respecting striking(and my original background was karate back in the dark ages), but I love to see a great ground war or even more specifically, takedowns.

Sometimes more than a submission for me, I love hitting a throw or even a double leg where I end up humping the guy to the floor. Whatever. Putting someone where they don't want to be...hell yeah.

lol ;\