I'm not sure I'm 100% sold on Cormier yet based on Hendo...

IamnotJonFitch

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Nothing against him, beating up Hendo like that is serious business and the guy is clearly elite. And he may be the real deal for sure, I'm just saying that as of now I'm not 100% convinced.

The only reason I say this is because of how he fought. Yes, he clearly was a better fighter than Dan Henderson, but he beat him with pressure and takedowns (mainly).

Well, so did Jake Shields, a natural welterweight. He took him down for 4 rounds and mounted him at will and just demolished him. Granted, no finish and no ridiculous slams but still...

Shogun also took him down a bunch, pretty sloppily at that.

Dan clearly has a problem with defending offensive wrestling and fighting guys with a style like this, especially later in his career. So, taking him down and beating him up in my opinion is certainly NOT proof that you can "take down anybody in the world", or can beat up Jon Jones.

I've seen some threads about how he'll easily be the champ (in 3 divisions, lol) and how he's gonna kill everyone at LHW with his wrestling...and maybe he will, but I don't think this victory is any evidence of that just as Jake Shield's wasn't evidence of how he would dominate 3 divisions.

What do you guys think, do you think that his victory over Hendo was evidence enough that he is a legitimate threat to JJ, or do you think it was a stylistic mismatch?

What do you guys think, do you think that his victory over Hendo was evidence enough that he is a legitimate threat to JJ, or do you think it was a stylistic mismatch?

He was a style matchup nightmare before the fight with Hendo.

This fight was just to keep Cormier active and no one else wanted to fight him, so props to Hendo for being the one guy to say yes to standing across the cage from someone undefeated and dominant against all opponents.

I was sold when he ragdolled Barnett personally.

This. It was big evidence after the Bigfoot and Barnett dominations that we were witnessing a rare talent.

His hw record, plus hes lost what only 1 round in his whole career?

Dude, u smokin'? DC looks like an animal, Shields didn't pick Henderson up 6 feet in the air over his head and slam him on his back. I agree that Hendo isn't the best litmus test but I've seen enough, DC clearly is one of the best in the world and deserves title shot after Gus, who rightfully has another crack at him.

DC vs. Johnson while he waits for his shot. Whatya think?

If Hendo was younger but had the same skillset, the win by dc would have been more impressive, but it is easy to discredit wins over Hendo due to his age.

After seeing the massive order he had at Popeye's I knew he had promise. :icon_lol: Anyone that can eat that much can do much damage.

Assume JBJ fought Hendo two nights ago. Bones would have crushed him sooner, imho. Point is, Hendo is no match for Bones, just as he is no match for DC, who is a bona fide beast.

Let DC have at Glover or Evans or heck even Machida (well, eh, yeah what the heck), and let him dispatch with those fighters more handily than did Bones. Thennnn can we talk about DC running through Bones.

The Hendo fight showed that DC can demolish a man 30lbs lighter on the verge of retirement. It did not show that DC can demolish Jones. I don't see why this is so hard to understand.

I'm really not hating on him. I respect the hell out him and I think he is translating his wrestling to MMA better than most and improving very fast, but I have to agree with the TS. He is obviously very good and has done what he's needed to, but his most impressive win IMO was Bigfoot.
Hendo was way undersized
Cummins was a joke
Nelson was just a easy match up for him
Mir and Barnett are always dangerous, but they are over the hill

I have zero doubt that DC can take JJ down. It would be a great fight.

I don't know why a win over Barnett means anything. It was an impressive win, but Barnett has had a win that was worth a damn since Big Nog in 2006

He beat BF, Barnett, Mir & Nelson before he defeated Hendo.

Sold!

there_you_have_it.jpg

I was sold on him when he beat Bigfoot and Barnett in a row. UFC has been careful to give him rather simple matchups after that. Over-the-hill Mir, late replacement (not anybody's fault there), then Hendo.

I think he's a bit crazy for all the "you shoulda got me a year ago cuz I'm better now" type crap...you know who else is better than a year ago? Jon Jones! It seems DC thinks he's learning and getting better but so is everyone else? Jones improves at every fight as well. I'm not sure DC wins against Jones but at least I'm sold on him deserving a chance

Back