I'm not knocking streamers but you're crazy if you don't think you're hurting the sport and the figh

They would rather raise the price and have less people watch than lower the price and have more people watch. Pretty ridiculous, but I order every PPV still.

I wonder, maybe the ones like myself paying are the real problem. If enough people stopped buying than surely the UFC would have to adjust their strategy and lower the insane price or offer some different program. Imagine if they did $50/month for streaming to include PPV and fight library, I'd happily pay that and I'm sure others would too.

FFFFFFFF
Oh, and what about the watered down cards? Have you noticed that the cards got watered down when PPV buys started slipping? Well of course! The UFC got smart. They didn't see any need to stack a card when millions of people would just steal it anyway. So if you are a part of the streaming community then you should be the last person complaining about watered down cards. YOU ARE THE REASON why we only usually get two anticipated fights on a PPV card nowadays.
This is very disingenuous. Watered down cards and ppv buys have ZERO correlatation. Watered down cards came with the advent of all the weight classes we've seen added. You can't claim cards are more watered down while ppv numbers have simultaneously been up. PPV IS antiquated. There are better, more convenient cheap or free ways to watch mma. they need to keep up.

Last edited:
Streaming has always been a controversial issue amongst MMA fans. I remember there was a time when most people on MMA forums seemed to be against it. And when you look at the PPV numbers from the first few years after TUF 1, it was clear that MMA fans were enthusiastic buyers of PPV cards.

But obviously things have changed. Whenever a thread about streaming pops up, the responses I see are almost predictable. Stuff like:

"Who cares, Dana takes all the money Anway."

"If they paid the fighters more maybe I would consider buying."

"You can't stop streams, welcome to the internet."

"UFC should be free anyway, just put it on network TV and collect ad dollars."

"PPV is dead. UFC should find a new model."

And so on.

But the truth is that all of it is a cop out. As much as I despise Dana he is right on the streaming issue.

Streaming takes money away from the fighters. As much as we don't like to admit it, fighters make more money when there is a large upward shift in revenue. Fighters got paid pennies before TUF 1. But after PPV buys when up dramatically fighters started making millions of dollars. If all the people who streamed the event bought it Instead, there's no doubt in my mind that fighter pay would nearly double. So yes, you ARE absolutely robbing the fighters.

And it's not just purses that take a hit. If the UFC had double the revenue, they could put it towards benefits for fighters, like post-career healthcare, pensions, and larger bonuses.

Oh, and what about the watered down cards? Have you noticed that the cards got watered down when PPV buys started slipping? Well of course! The UFC got smart. They didn't see any need to stack a card when millions of people would just steal it anyway. So if you are a part of the streaming community then you should be the last person complaining about watered down cards. YOU ARE THE REASON why we only usually get two anticipated fights on a PPV card nowadays.

If you are a fan of this sport, and want to see better cards, and want fighters to be taken care of then BUY THE FUCKIN CARDS. I buy the cards because I'm a fan of this sport and I want to continue to see it grow. 30 years from now I want to be an old man who can still sit down and watch a good UFC card. And the way I can assure that happens is buy voting with my money for UFC/MMA to stay in business. And if you love this sport and the fighters then you should too.

Godspeed me friends!

I agree with you partially.
Yes, if UFC made more money, there's a (very slim) chance that they would pay more to fighters.

HOWEVER:
1) Most fighters do not get ANY money from PPV revenue.
2) The idea they water down cards because of streamers is a copout you are giving them. And not true. UFC simply figured that 1 card stacked for 500k viewers is far less than 2 or 3 bad cards with 200-300k viewers each. Especially now that most fights are in the apex, where they don't even pay for venue.
3) the sheer volume of PPVs for unworthy cards actually turn people into streamers, since the card is not worthy of the money they are charging us for.
And last but not least:
4) PPV is only in US. Most other countries it is free (BT Sports in UK) or subscription to a channel (i.e. Combate in Brazil).
And UFC makes millions around the world in this model. Why in US we have to pay u$70.00 for one event when the world pay far less than that for a full month subscription to a sports channel that has a lot more content than one PPV?

IMHO UFC is just greedy.
No matter how much money they make, they will try to pay the least amount they can to fighters. And this has been proven already.
Only fighters that have bargaining power make money in the UFC. And they are the most affected, because they get a portion of the PPV. But they also make already millions, so people don't really pity them.

And no, the UFC would NOT waste money on post-career healthcare, pensions, and larger bonuses. They do not care about fighters and they have proven time and again.

When the UFC starts sharing a fair share with fighters, and taking better care of them, then you may have a point. But as it is, they don't. so your point don't stand. Don't forget this is a 4 Billion dollars business.

But while that's how I think, I do buy the cards (with friends), or I go to a pub to watch the fights from unworthy cards (if I don't meet with my friends). I generally spend less than 10 dollars per card, not counting, of course, beer (at the pub) or food with my friends.

But I do think UFC is unfair to their American audience, forcing us to buy PPV's or stream.

Last edited:
How is the UFC different than Amazon and Apple and dozens of other companies? The system is not perfect but there is a reason that the best companies in the world are in the US.

To answer your question specifically, the UFC is not a monopoly. The fighters enter into negotiated, legal contracts on their own free-will. I understand from your posts that because you do not like the business model, it is ok steal from them. We can agree to disagree, enjoy your day.
If stealing from Amazon and apple was as easy and low risk as stealing content from the UFC I'd do it.

"There is no ethical consumption under capitalism"

I don't know if that statement is actually true but it's certainly true of corporations like Apple, Amazon and the UFC.

OP is spot on.

"Who cares, Dana takes all the money Anway."

"If they paid the fighters more maybe I would consider buying."

"You can't stop streams, welcome to the internet."

"UFC should be free anyway, just put it on network TV and collect ad dollars."

"PPV is dead. UFC should find a new model."

These are clearly excuses Sherdoggers use to justify their poor behavior. Almost every other post in this thread is more excuses to justify why it is OK to steal. This mindset is rampant and explains many of the problems in society. Hard to imagine we have come to a time when folks will not accept that stealing is wrong.
Why don’t you post evidence of all the PPVs you’re buying every month?

Dont they make most of their money from the advertisements ?

They charge too much, plain and simple. Many would be willing to pay a reasonable monthly fee for access to everything which likely in turn would lead to more revenue for the UFC in the long term. They have tons of fans that would be willing to pay something, but instead there’s going for the small percentage willing to pay big bucks which shrinks the fanbase and turns people into streamers. UFC is hurting itself.

This argument makes an assumption that if streamers didn't stream, that they would pay for the ppv. There is no evidence of that.

I don't give a shit. I'm not paying 80 dollars for a potentially trashy card filled with wmma fights or 5 round snoozers. If the ufc goes bankrupt, i'll go watch bellator, pfl, or one. Dana's networth is literally 500 million. The only people stealing money from the fighters is the fertita's and the bald goof. Its not my job to financially support a bunch of guys that punch each other in the head for a living.

They charge too much, plain and simple. Many would be willing to pay a reasonable monthly fee for access to everything which likely in turn would lead to more revenue for the UFC in the long term. They have tons of fans that would be willing to pay something, but instead there’s going for the small percentage willing to pay big bucks which shrinks the fanbase and turns people into streamers. UFC is hurting itself.

Do you think that if they charged $20 more people would pay? How about $10, would the posters on this thread pay then?

Hi, Dana! :p

Yes, piracy/streaming definitely hurts them, and in the end I don't think it is correct to do it. Then again, I don't care enough about it to pay for it. This is more of a show than a sport, and though I very much enjoy it, I could also very well live without it and would rather spend money on things that actually matter. Also, at this point, I think most (male, at least) fighters and personnel in the UFC can make enough money to live from it, even considering the losses in revenue, so in the end it's kind of balanced out.

This is not a justification for stealing, though, more of a "I wouldn't pay anyway" kind of thing so they aren't exactly losing anything from me and might even get some publicity if I talk to other people about it (haha).

Maybe if Dana didn’t put a paywall behind a paywall for the fights id consider buying them. Bought some older UFC cards and Pride events.

ESPN+ is fucking lame

Do you think that if they charged $20 more people would pay? How about $10, would the posters on this thread pay then?

I think they could get a lot more people to pay $20 over $75. Even more for $10. I’m positive a good number that currently stream would pay a reasonable fee for easy, reliable access. They could potentially be making $240 a year off people that likely wouldn’t have spent a dime under their current system. That’s roughly equivalent of somebody buying 3 ppvs a year now, which is more than many do.

If stealing from Amazon and apple was as easy and low risk as stealing content from the UFC I'd do it.

"There is no ethical consumption under capitalism"

I don't know if that statement is actually true but it's certainly true of corporations like Apple, Amazon and the UFC.

I suspected as much. At least you are honest.

The problem I have here is the fact that if you live in the United States you need to pay for ESPN+ which is $6.99 a month or the annual $69.99 a year and on top of that you don't get the PPV for free or at a discount. You still have to pay $60 bucks to watch it on top of already paying for ESPN+. Its highway robbery. UFC and ESPN should do what the WWE does and include their PPV's as part of the package.

Streaming takes money away from the fighters.

While i understand and agree with many of your points, this is where I think you're wrong. You're operating under the delusion that if people weren't streaming they would buy all the fights. That's not the case. People would simply stop watching most of them. They might pony up for the biggest fights on the biggest cards but in general, they would just read about the event the next day in the sports section and likely gradually lose interest in the sport in general.

The single best way to combat piracy is to make your product cheap enough to attract the masses. Then they will pay for it legitimately rather than look to pirate it.

mmmmkay... you convinced me.
Now just take my money.

Compare cards these days to cards back in the day. Juliana Pena wouldn't be getting on any co mains not even close even if they had WMMA back then.

I'm honestly curious how much of that mindset is just hindsight bias. Were cards really stacked all the time back in the day? Or were there still plenty of scrub fights, and we just recognize the names because of the those fighters' careers afterwards?

Back