I'm not knocking streamers but you're crazy if you don't think you're hurting the sport and the figh

Gracious Warrior

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Streaming has always been a controversial issue amongst MMA fans. I remember there was a time when most people on MMA forums seemed to be against it. And when you look at the PPV numbers from the first few years after TUF 1, it was clear that MMA fans were enthusiastic buyers of PPV cards.

But obviously things have changed. Whenever a thread about streaming pops up, the responses I see are almost predictable. Stuff like:

"Who cares, Dana takes all the money Anway."

"If they paid the fighters more maybe I would consider buying."

"You can't stop streams, welcome to the internet."

"UFC should be free anyway, just put it on network TV and collect ad dollars."

"PPV is dead. UFC should find a new model."

And so on.

But the truth is that all of it is a cop out. As much as I despise Dana he is right on the streaming issue.

Streaming takes money away from the fighters. As much as we don't like to admit it, fighters make more money when there is a large upward shift in revenue. Fighters got paid pennies before TUF 1. But after PPV buys when up dramatically fighters started making millions of dollars. If all the people who streamed the event bought it Instead, there's no doubt in my mind that fighter pay would nearly double. So yes, you ARE absolutely robbing the fighters.

And it's not just purses that take a hit. If the UFC had double the revenue, they could put it towards benefits for fighters, like post-career healthcare, pensions, and larger bonuses.

Oh, and what about the watered down cards? Have you noticed that the cards got watered down when PPV buys started slipping? Well of course! The UFC got smart. They didn't see any need to stack a card when millions of people would just steal it anyway. So if you are a part of the streaming community then you should be the last person complaining about watered down cards. YOU ARE THE REASON why we only usually get two anticipated fights on a PPV card nowadays.

If you are a fan of this sport, and want to see better cards, and want fighters to be taken care of then BUY THE FUCKIN CARDS. I buy the cards because I'm a fan of this sport and I want to continue to see it grow. 30 years from now I want to be an old man who can still sit down and watch a good UFC card. And the way I can assure that happens is buy voting with my money for UFC/MMA to stay in business. And if you love this sport and the fighters then you should too.

Godspeed me friends!

Getting rid of wmma, bring in Pride rules, and get more than 5 fighters the general public knows. Then maybe you have a case. Outside of Hall I literally don't know anyone on the card. I'm not nearly into it as I used to be, but back in the day guys had personalities and could wear their own gear and sponsors. Now it's everybody in matching venom gear, no individual sponsors, manlets, and wmma. I have no desire to see chicks have a sloppy fight, or guys the size of 8th graders fight. Bring back the individual personalities of a fighter. Shit's bland and watered down. Oh well at least football starts soon..

Compare cards these days to cards back in the day. Juliana Pena wouldn't be getting on any co mains not even close even if they had WMMA back then.

If she was fighting for a title, which she will be next, why wouldn't she be in co-mains?

tldr1.gif

Not worth my money. I'm middle class too. Not going to throw away $1,000/year to support the fighters lol that's not my job. My bro gets the cards for free on ESPN+ a few days later anyway and that is going up in price too. I'm good, but ESPN+ might be the only thing worth it.

Streaming has always been a controversial issue amongst MMA fans. I remember there was a time when most people on MMA forums seemed to be against it. And when you look at the PPV numbers from the first few years after TUF 1, it was clear that MMA fans were enthusiastic buyers of PPV cards.

But obviously things have changed. Whenever a thread about streaming pops up, the responses I see are almost predictable. Stuff like:

And so on.

But the truth is that all of it is a cop out. As much as I despise Dana he is right on the streaming issue.

Streaming takes money away from the fighters. As much as we don't like to admit it, fighters make more money when there is a large upward shift in revenue. Fighters got paid pennies before TUF 1. But after PPV buys when up dramatically fighters started making millions of dollars. If all the people who streamed the event bought it Instead, there's no doubt in my mind that fighter pay would nearly double. So yes, you ARE absolutely robbing the fighters.

And it's not just purses that take a hit. If the UFC had double the revenue, they could put it towards benefits for fighters, like post-career healthcare, pensions, and larger bonuses.

Oh, and what about the watered down cards? Have you noticed that the cards got watered down when PPV buys started slipping? Well of course! The UFC got smart. They didn't see any need to stack a card when millions of people would just steal it anyway. So if you are a part of the streaming community then you should be the last person complaining about watered down cards. YOU ARE THE REASON why we only usually get two anticipated fights on a PPV card nowadays.

If you are a fan of this sport, and want to see better cards, and want fighters to be taken care of then BUY THE FUCKIN CARDS. I buy the cards because I'm a fan of this sport and I want to continue to see it grow. 30 years from now I want to be an old man who can still sit down and watch a good UFC card. And the way I can assure that happens is buy voting with my money for UFC/MMA to stay in business. And if you love this sport and the fighters then you should too.

Godspeed me friends!
lol the UFC payout their fighters hilariously bad based on how much they bring in. It should be illegal how little they pay versus how much they're making.

Also, PPV model is dead. Go to something more feasible for your customers if you want to make money. WWE learned long ago PPV was a dying model.

Make a non-ridiculous subscription model that INCLUDES their PPVs and that will probably be better for them.

And so on.

Godspeed me friends!
I'm not reading all that happy for you or sorry for you.

Whatever applies to you

This is a complicated topic. Its been around since the days of PPV sporting events.

I would never have started watching UFC in the first place had I not had an "unlocked" Satellite system back in 2000s. When you have access to "all tv", you sometimes watch things you might not normally watch. I became a fan this way. I have since gone to every UFC event in my city. I pay for Fight Pass. I bought UFC merch. I talk about UFC with friends and spread the popularity that way. These are not "arguments" to continue "not paying". Its just a reality of how I started watching.

You realize the world is big. There is a lot of poor people in the world. Many struggle with the basic needs in life . But, when they pirate the PPVs, they actually do contribute to the success of the company in ways you might not have thought about.

And so on.

Godspeed me friends!
What you probably don't take into consideration is that the people who stream are not forced to "pay" if streaming comes to an end.......I think streamers have no intention of buying a 70-100 event. They watch because its free. If they're forced to pay, they'll simply wait till the next day to see the results. In that case the UFC loses because they have commercials on PPV and product placement and a smaller audience is not good for business. If streaming ended the PPV sales "might" go up a bit so sure, it could make a difference but I think the vast majority of illegal streamers will simply find a cheap way to watch or not watch at all. I often watch in a bar and pay a minimal cover charge and get food and booze for my money. Better than 70 bucks and paying for beer on top of that. I have also got together with friends and 10 of us throw a few bucks each to pay for cards. The point I'm making is from an accountants point of view, 1 million free streamers absolutely does not convert to 1 million PPV buys.

And so on.

Godspeed me friends!
if the ufc actually had affordable plans and ditched the stupid ppv model maybe they'd do better

Let's be honest. Most men would rather watch 2 heavyweights go at it than some broads. It's Sherdog bro, you don't have to be PC. Wmma blows

I don't know what PC means, but there's plenty of WMMA fights that I'd rather watch than most of the HWs. A lot of the HW fights are just two sloppy fat guys putting on a shit fight.

Back