"I'm not happy on social level about fighting Arlovski." - Frank Mir

wait a second,

you dont consider Arlovski, a guy who already beat Werdum because of his superior striking, to be a threat?

Especially considering Arlovski has the best TDD in the division (with over 89% takedown defense success rate) against a grappler in Werdum?

you are a moron, sir.

No, I don't consider a fight from over 8 years ago to be relevant to the here and now. Werdum is a comparable striker now if not outright better than AA, and it's pretty clear he's much improved since then. AA's chin and striking defense is nothing special either. I'm not going to let nostalgia and a winning streak against middling HWs convince me otherwise.

Where the F is Fedor?
I'm beginning to lose hope.
Agree with Mur.
Think AA takes it but AA's chin is equally suspect.

"In one sense, I'm not happy about it on a social level. I think we both have a lot to offer the sport and I don't want to see either one of us derailed right now. I would have been much happier with this situation if we could have skipped each other at this point. I could have fought someone else in the top three and he could have fought Werdum for the title and then we could have faced each other in a title fight instead if he would have won," Mir said.

"That would have been the ideal situation for me. To say here's two guys that everyone counted out and said their careers are over. They figured out ways to move forward and persevere and now they're back."

http://m.reviewjournal.com/sports/mma-ufc/reluctant-mir-jumps-back-training

My take - good read and worth clicking the link. I see where he's coming from. Both these guys were working towards a title shot and I fear it's both their last chance.

Generally when Mir talks I agree with him. I think he's completely right here as well.

He's making a lot of sense here.

You would think those who actually make the match ups would have been able to grasp such a concept. I'm sure they make a lot of money, yet common sense seems hard to come by.

So basically Mir wanted to avoid fighting a top contender but wanted a title shot

I don't consider either a legit title threat so I don't mind this fight. Plus it's a fresh match up of 2 big names that somehow never fought.

AA has better striking and good enough TDD. He has a legit shot to win.
Mir on the other hand just might have good enough BJJ to beat Werdum on the ground. Good enough the Mir won't be afraid to go to the ground. Mir has a legit shot.

Thats not as crazy as,

"Fabricio Werdum is going to get a chance to avenge his loss to Andrei Arlovski in their rematch for the UFC heavyweight belt in 2015..."

which literally was gonna happen and was all ready to go until Dana and his last minute changes

i never would have ever thought Arlovski would be the #1 contender in 2015 against the champ, who is Fabricio Werdum

Until recently the idea was laughable...

wait a second,

you dont consider Arlovski, a guy who already beat Werdum because of his superior striking, to be a threat?

Especially considering Arlovski has the best TDD in the division (with over 89% takedown defense success rate) against a grappler in Werdum?

you are a moron, sir.

Werdum and Arlovski fought well over 8 years ago. A lot has changed since then. I doubt AA decisions him again, especially in a five rounder.

Mir has no claim to a title shot, even after a win. But Arlovski should be fighting for the title atm, that's for sure.

i agree wit Mir on this one. Them fighting would have been great ten years ago, not so much right now. And I am a huge fan of both so it is hard to pick

Yo, I dont know why you guys think Frank Mir could win the title so him "being derailed" is just inevitable.

Mir's always been one of the most intelligent fighters in the sport.

Mir, Cruz, GSP(pre-Aliens) - Top 3 imo

AA has better striking and good enough TDD. He has a legit shot to win.
Mir on the other hand just might have good enough BJJ to beat Werdum on the ground. Good enough the Mir won't be afraid to go to the ground. Mir has a legit shot.

lol I like Mir too, but this thought seems a wee bit ridiculous.

Frank Mir, the voice of reason. He knows what he is talking about.

Even Mir agrees that Arlovski should have fought for the title...

This match up is completely dumb.
I agree with Frank if they had to fight it should have been for the title.
Wasting a contender in a weak division is just stupid

Hes fighting the true #1 contender..

Odds are about 4 or 3 to 1 that Mir gets knocked out by Arlovski...

its pretty much a predictable fight. Mir is coming into this fight to get knocked out,

I wouldnt be happy if I were him either

Put some money down, Nostradamus

I agree with Mir. Arvloski should have gotten a title shot instead of the immediate re-match and Mir should have fought Stipe or Rothwell

Maybe Mir can run the UFC when Dana steps aside?

I climbed the mountain to ask the Oracle a question and it was Frank Mir sitting atop.

Back