"I'm not happy on social level about fighting Arlovski." - Frank Mir

Coffee79

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
"In one sense, I'm not happy about it on a social level. I think we both have a lot to offer the sport and I don't want to see either one of us derailed right now. I would have been much happier with this situation if we could have skipped each other at this point. I could have fought someone else in the top three and he could have fought Werdum for the title and then we could have faced each other in a title fight instead if he would have won," Mir said.

"That would have been the ideal situation for me. To say here's two guys that everyone counted out and said their careers are over. They figured out ways to move forward and persevere and now they're back."

http://m.reviewjournal.com/sports/mma-ufc/reluctant-mir-jumps-back-training

My take - good read and worth clicking the link. I see where he's coming from. Both these guys were working towards a title shot and I fear it's both their last chance.

I agree, Arlovski should have got the title shot. It's a cool fight but it sucks someone will be derailed, and the fight didn't really need to happen

Frank is exactly right(except for when he said AA was cut....as that never happened).

It was incredibly stupid timing.

Everyone always wanted to see these two fight and it never happened. Now that it is about to, it could have happened at a better time than now. Mir is right though, Andrei should have faced Werdum.

Wow... I agree with Frank Mir. Never thought those words would come out of my mouth.

Hopefully it ends like this
punch.jpg

Hes fighting the true #1 contender..

Odds are about 4 or 3 to 1 that Mir gets knocked out by Arlovski...

its pretty much a predictable fight. Mir is coming into this fight to get knocked out,

I wouldnt be happy if I were him either

most fans feel this way. this is the 2 longest winning streaks in the h/w division outside of werdum.

He's half-right. I don't really have any interest seeing Mir back in title contention unless he pulls off a very impressive win in this fight but this is an odd match-up of two people with similar storylines going on right now that can draw attention and one will be crushed.

If someone would have told me back in 2005 that Frank Mir would fight Andre Arlovski for the HW championship in 2016....

I don't know, this guarantees that one of the will continue on their roll. Otherwise, both of them could lose their next fight, and the chances of them both winning their fights aren't good.

If someone would have told me back in 2005 that Frank Mir would fight Andre Arlovski for the HW championship in 2016....

Thats not as crazy as,

"Fabricio Werdum is going to get a chance to avenge his loss to Andrei Arlovski in their rematch for the UFC heavyweight belt in 2015..."

which literally was gonna happen and was all ready to go until Dana and his last minute changes

i never would have ever thought Arlovski would be the #1 contender in 2015 against the champ, who is Fabricio Werdum

I don't consider either a legit title threat so I don't mind this fight. Plus it's a fresh match up of 2 big names that somehow never fought.

I don't consider either a legit title threat so I don't mind this fight. Plus it's a fresh match up of 2 big names that somehow never fought.

wait a second,

you dont consider Arlovski, a guy who already beat Werdum because of his superior striking, to be a threat?

Especially considering Arlovski has the best TDD in the division (with over 89% takedown defense success rate) against a grappler in Werdum?

you are a moron, sir.

Well said, felt the exact same when I heard about the matchup.

Back