I'm not feeling motivated to go to BJJ

i did a copy/paste job on this a long time ago...so i could read this for motivation if i ever needed. sorry i forget where this all exactly came from.....

thread title : helping beginners set realistic goals:
Helping beginners set realistic goals
I originally wrote this for Aesopian BJJ | Facebook but thought it would be worth sharing here too.

I have been teaching a lot of white belts and beginners and I keep seeing people get discouraged because the goals they set for themselves aren't being met in a couple classes or even a couple months. They're ambitious ones like:

- Submit that purple belt.
- Not tap to anyone all night.
- Pull off this awesome submission.

Setting goals like those is normal but from my perspective as their instructor here is what I am really looking for:

Basic conditioning, improving balance and coordination, learning the names for things, persistence and regular attendance, paying attention to instruction, diligence in drilling, being willing to spar even if they think they'll "lose."

BJJ can be really rough when you're a beginner and going in with unrealistic goals sets you up to feel like you "failed" even when you didn't. When talking with beginners, I've had to help them see that rock bottom goals are just as good (better really) since they are realistic and are what a beginner is really trying to do. They are goals like this:

- Remembering a technique you learned in the past.
- Not having to sit out and rest during class.
- Finishing full rounds of sparring - no sitting out.
- Not getting swept as quickly.
- Not getting submitted so quickly.
- Seeing where you could do a technique you learned (whether or not you get it.)
- Learning a technique and using it in sparring the same night.
- Knowing the names of the positions and techniques.
- Escaping bad positions or at least preventing submissions.
- Being better at a move the second time you learn it.
- Not panicking too much.
- Not holding your breath.
- Not being too tense.
- Not burning out your grip by holding on too tight.
- Coming to 2-3 classes per weekly regularly.
- Having a really hard night and still training again the next day.
- Giving a higher belt some trouble (even if just holding him in your closed guard so he can't pass.)

How quickly a beginner gets past these and into more fun goals like "Develop my half guard" and "Hit triangles on everyone" depends on a lot of things (mat time, previous martial arts or wrestling experience, etc.) but when 9 out of 10 people quit BJJ in their first few weeks, it seems worth looking at things from this level.

Let me know what you guys think.

thread title: apprehension before classes.....
pacbjj:
I am always apprehensive before class. Once I get going I am fine and when the class ends I almost always come out feeling great. Once in a while I don't feel good after a class for example if I struggled with a move or didn't get as much out of it as I felt I should.

Just wondering if people have felt the same way when they first started out and how they dealt with it.

shinobi:
i get really bad anxiety about training. i've been training for 4 years and it never really goes away, but when I'm consistently on the mat it makes it much easier to handle so my advice would be to just grit your way through it until it you're so comfortable with your academy you don't think about it.

placa:
I used to get like this before Muay Thai. However, with BJJ, I am completely relaxed.

I think it is due to your training partners. Are you really friendly with them? As in, do you offer to go out to lunch/party with them? Are they more your friends or training partner?

At Muay Thai, the people, although very friendly, were more of training tools.
At my new BJJ school, everyone is my friend. I would invite them over anytime and have been offered to go out to lunch/bars with them.

slideyfoot:
In my experience, there are multiple reasons for apprehension.

First, BJJ is hard. Voluntarily heading to a place where you know you're going to get sat on, your limbs twisted, your neck crushed...any sensible person would balk at that. So I think there is a voice inside all of us that says "hey, wait a minute, why the hell am I putting myself through this?" before training.

Second, ego. Nobody likes getting beaten up and dominated by somebody else (well, I guess there are, but that's in a rather different setting Razz ), and everybody knows that is a strong possibility in BJJ sparring. It is an effort to force yourself to willingly enter that situation.

Third, there is the worry about injury, a legitimate concern. BJJ can be a rough sport, so you could get hurt at any time.

The way I try and overcome those fears is focus on technique above all else.

That helps me with all three: as long as I'm working to improve a technique, it isn't a big deal that I might get a little squashed along the way: if I'm in a bad position, that's simply a good opportunity to work my escapes.

Ego isn't such a problem if your focus is, for example, "get better at hand-positioning under side control" rather than "MUST SMASH! MUST WIN!" When you're trying to be technical, you can break down your goals methodically and realistically. Your aims become clear, and it means that every class, you'll be able to take away something positive from sparring, even if it's only "ok, that didn't work, so I'll do it differently next time."

Finally, injuries are much less likely if you stay relaxed and controlled in your pursuit of technique, picking your training partners carefully, with a preference for people you know are equally interested in improving their technical abilities.

HopeBJJ:
So you know that you are not alone, I have to admit that I am extremely anxious before each and every class. (My anxiety level is pretty much off the charts, truth be told.)

Although I have been a fan of BJJ for quite some time, I am rather new to learning BBJ and find that being on the mats forces me to address not only my lack of knowledge of BJJ (which actually causes the least anxiety); but the things about myself that I am the least content with and the most embarrassed about:
1) Being out of shape (horrible cardio) and significantly overweight
2) Being a person that is not too coordinated and never been known as a graceful person (As an adult, I still have major problems doing moves kids can do, like a somersault.)
3) Completely lacking in flexibility with joints/muscles that don

It's really a rough patch where you have to force yourself back into it but it's always satisfying to go and do it rather than sit at home wishing you could of gone.

I guess I would disagree with most of the people here. I've spent 7 years in grappling arts, and I can definitely say that I understand not being motivated to attend class when you're recovering from injury.

Sometimes life gets in the way, and you have to take a little time off and sort out your priorities. BJJ will always be there. From my experience, the desire and the drive to train always come back. Sometimes it's good to take a little time off and stoke that fire. And if the fire goes out and you find another hobby or interest that makes you happy--no big deal. Lots of guys who have devoted a lot more time to this sport have walked away, for all sorts of reasons. All this "quitter" talk is pathetic.

The less you go, the less progress you make, and hence your motivation decreases. I watch Youtube instructional videos and grappling contests when I need motivation. If that doesn't do it, think about the last time you got bullied.

This is actually not true,the brain works this way with any art,meaning you can very much overload yourself with BJJ,just as much as I did with Classical Guitar when I was going to study it at U.O.Florida,I ended up giving up because I have to practice 6-8 hours a day,and a couple buddies have taken breaks from BJJ because they broke a few ribs or sprained something etc and they come back and say they are doing better,and I can tell. Breaks are good,overloading just gets you frustrated and over worked.

go to you tube and watch the shinya aoki highlight..would love to able to pull some of those subs wouldn't you?

I'm 33 and just started BJJ about a month ago. My kids 5yrs & 7yrs. They already asked me when I'm going to get my black belt and had me promise that I would get it. They want to tell their friends that "Daddy is a black belt". That's my motivation and I'm getting my ass handed to me every week by 'blue belts'. It's going to be a long road 10 yrs +, but I am going to keep my promise to my kids. Just find some motivation and never quit.

But generally, I'm moving in the opposite direction. I become mentally distraught if I don't train when I'm supposed to. Too many days pass, and I begin to yearn for training.

I'm the exact same way. If I skip, then I feel like crap. I don't know, I have to train! And on nights when at home I feel like not going, but then I go, while I'm in class I always think to myself, "Man I love this!".

Find motivation somewhere. Get to know your instructor really well, so that you're motivated to go. Watch some videos on YouTube, listen to some music, just find something you're motivated by. It's one thing to quit because of family/work/school, and it's completely another thing to quit because you don't want to go.

Tyler

My motivation for going to practice is to see who doesn't show up. :)

Blue belt should mean you can demonstrate a lot of things to newer people. Recovering from an injury sucks. Why not discuss what is happening with your instructor and let them know that you've been having motivation issues. Maybe you will learn more from helping white belts get to their blue belt.

2 times a week is good enough for a hobbyist. Maybe push that to 3 times a week and see how that feels. Motivation doesn't need to happen for you to go to class.

You go to work and don't have a choice. Why should BJJ be any different. Make missing not an option. Take someone new with you and spend a class showing them the oldschool sweep and Plan B or something. Maybe just roll with a partner at home for a while. Take a private class.

Cross train.

Anything.

After injuries it is tough to get back into the swing of things. But after I go after a lay off I feel invigorated. I find out what I missed and want to work that much harder.

some good advice i got from sherdog was to fire up some techniques on youtube and just throw on your gi or shorts/rashguard and see if you still dont feel like training......the gettin ready part works for me when I dont feel like training whcich is barely ever:icon_chee

just force yourself to go 3-4 days a week for like a week or two and then you'll get back into the swing of it and wonder why you ever doubted your motivation.

This. If I take time off for an injury or other life stuff its that first few classes back that get you back in the groove.

I dont know why some of you think Im a white belt

Just curious, what is your belt and how long have you been training? If your experienced some of the higher belts at your gym might have been through the same thing and can help you through it.

This is my biggest problem and what stops me from going the most. Like today I didn't want to go because I DVR'd "Howard the Duck" and my daughter has been wanting to watch it all week. I had to tell her will watch it tomorrow and she got mad but I had only been once this week and her birthday party is Saturday so I really had no choice.

That's a different matter. There's always something that comes up in life that can try to drag you away. Some of them I give into and some I don't.

If it's a terrible week, I still go once and do two classes on that day, at worst.

If it's a great week, I can get as many as 4 classes in.

But, with family and responsibility and just life...you have to be able to take a little time now and then.

It's like being on a diet. If you screw up a day, and eat those chips, do you stop dieting altogether or do you start over the next day? The answer depends on how committed you are to the diet. If you aren't really, then the moment you get off of it, you'll stop it altogether. It you are committed to it, then you'll come back no matter how often you fall of the wagon.

I once watched the Youtube video of the Rocky training montage to get motivated.

I dont know why some of you think Im a white belt

I think it's because you didn't specify your rank or give a lot of background in your original post. Also, BJJ has a pretty high dropout rate and your OP kinda sounds like what a lot of new guys go through before quitting. I wouldn't take it personally, contrary what you might hear teh internetz isn't really serious business. Srsly.

I think there's a big difference between not feeling like going to train, and not feeling like having trained.

It's common not to feel like getting and going to the gym. However, if you feel great about training after you drag your ass to the gym, then the only problem is sucking it up, getting your gym bag and getting in your car. Once you're in the car it's usually past the activation energy needed to just go.

OTOH, if you don't feel like going to train, but go anyway, then find afterwards you're still not into it, then it's a different story. This is probably more along the lines of overtraining complications. You might benefit from a few weeks to a month break. Let your body and mind recover, then ease your way back into training.

Back