I'm not feeling motivated to go to BJJ

Great sig man.

Alsoo great advice from a lot of people here.

damn, that was my sig for the longest time...should have kept it

If you really want to quit then go ahead and wrap up your white belt...put it in your purse next to your tampons, and continue about your day.

There are too many people who come and train for a month just to quit after paying all that money for membership and a Gi, Your motivation will fluctuate but as long as you push through it you will always love BJJ. Jesus dude, just shut up and train.

You really need to go back and understand your purpose for starting BJJ and why you were training before. As some people have said, sometimes life just gets in the way and that's fine.

However, if you're not having fun training BJJ...then something is wrong. Either this is a sport that is not for you or this is something you need to give more time (e.g. Just GO and train).

Now, go back and think of what you want in BJJ. For some people, its just a hobby... something for exercise. Then, 1-2x/week of training is fine. However, my belief is that BJJ is something you should either devote yourself to training hard at or don't do it at all. If half-assed, training is not as enjoyable (e.g. you get smashed all the time and the techniques you learn don't seem to work).

My motivation for training BJJ (going on 4 years now, I'm 24) is the challenge that the sport gives me. I am a small grappler (5'7, 135) and I love the task of trying to outsmart other people on the mat. It's just fun. I'd much rather lay on the couch and eat a bag of cheezies but this BJJ thing is so much fun that I'd be stupid not to do it. :icon_lol:

I've seen tiny grapplers just handle big dudes on the mats. Watching guys like Marcelo dominate other great grapplers is motivating enough. To know that you can reach such a level of BJJ is motivating enough for me. You get fit, strong and can do nasty things!

It all comes back to this,

If you are not having fun, something is wrong.

just quit now. way too many fucking quitters and i don't want no quitter representing my art.

your art
when did you even start,

And I was never in the mood for saying I WANNA BE A FIGHTER NOW. I only did one competition and dont really plan on doing much on the future. Its for fun and same with boxing I dont plan on making anything out of it nor do I go around telling people I even do the sport unless I think they have experience in grappling

Last edited:
happens to all of us i think..

time off isnt a bad thing sometimes its just you getting burnt out. six times a week is a lot for a beginner in anything.

just make sure you run some in the morning or night to keep your cardio up. going back to class and getting skull dragged for three rounds because you dont have the energy to get off your back and shrimp really makes going to class even more miserable.

keep in mind the only way you will get better is to roll against a resisting opponent... and also the less you roll consistently the worse your timing and instincts become.... but if you start going three - five times a week in a month or so you'll be ten times better than you are right now.

I have sleeping problems so I'm always tired and sometimes it makes it hard for me to get motivated to train after work. I usually just fire up some highlights on Youtube (lately I've been watching a lot of Mendes bros) and it pumps me up to train.

If you are losing the desire to train, sometimes there is just nothing you can do to get it back.

I notice that in order to stick with BJJ, you really have to fall in love with the game and the techniques themselves. Plenty of guys join to get in shape or learn how to fight, but these motivations won't last longer than a few months or maybe a year. You have to really fall in love with the craft to stick with it for a lifetime.

I'm lucky to be able to say that I still get as hyped up to train every night as I did when I first started.
Thinking about what motivated you in the first place is not always the best bet. If you started BJJ to get in shape, chances are, you're in great shape now so that motivation is gone. If you started to learn how to fight or defend yourself, chances are, you're gonna be able to handle the average joe after 8 months to a year of training, so that motivation is gone.
However, the desire to learn more and expand your knowledge of the game is infinite motivation!

Try and think about your favorite positions and techniques. Think about why and how they work. Think about techniques you like that flow great from one move to the next. Now, think of more advanced guys at your gym, and think about the techniques they do that flow well from one move to the next. Try to realize that there are so many ways to flow from one technique to the next, and that you know so little in the grand scheme. If you feel a huge desire to train and move forward in your game, great. If not, maybe BJJ is not for you.

If you really want to quit then go ahead and wrap up your white belt...put it in your purse next to your tampons, and continue about your day.

This sort of reception I disagree with. If it's not in his blood, that doesn't make him a girl. That makes him a non-grappler.

Lance Armstrong doesn't grapple and he's a hell of an athlete.

It doesn't even have to be an athletic pursuit. If BJJ isn't your thing, there's no reason to force it.

So don't make this about his manhood (or your artificial machismo) and just leave it where it should be...if the art is really a part of you, you'll go even when parts of you don't want to. If the art isn't part of you...thanks for playing and I hope you find what motivates you.

I mean sure, I've had some times where I would rather just stay home and hang with the wife and kids, watch a movie, etc. Sometimes, I'll go ahead and give in on that impulse.

This is my biggest problem and what stops me from going the most. Like today I didn't want to go because I DVR'd "Howard the Duck" and my daughter has been wanting to watch it all week. I had to tell her will watch it tomorrow and she got mad but I had only been once this week and her birthday party is Saturday so I really had no choice.

damn, that was my sig for the longest time...should have kept it

There are too many people who come and train for a month just to quit after paying all that money for membership and a Gi, Your motivation will fluctuate but as long as you push through it you will always love BJJ. Jesus dude, just shut up and train.

lol this makes me laugh cause my instructor was talking like this today to everybody today during live training.

I just love BJJ and when I don't train I feel as if I wanna train more. Yesterday I slightly tore my meniscus so now I'm anxious as fuck to get back to training, but GOD DAMN does my knee hurt.

What do you guys do to feel motivated to go grapple. For the last 2 months I had some injuries and took a week off then our gym closed for a week for holidays and now I;m just feeling meh whatever only going 1-2 a week instead of 3-6 like i used to when I first started (around my join date)
Its because of a couple of reasons..

1) Maybe you don't stack up with competiton..so your discouraged.

2) You hate the hard work it provides. you are learning but aren't enjoying it.

3) You ust aren't made for it.

4) I have had injuries before. It makes you unmovtivated. but you HAVE TO COME BACK. COME BACK MY FRIEND. and learn learn learn. don't stop learning until you die!

5) You don't want to compete. Not competing in BJJ tournaments will make you very unmotivated simply because, WHAT ARE YOU DOING THIS FOR? If your not training for anything, than why do it? For simple exercise and to know whats going on in a UFC event? NO. to me, not competing is a bad thing and it doesn't produce champions. Its obvious.
If you start competing you will start to realize that when you loose, you will want to train harder and harder and eventually, you will kill that guy. But motivation comes with loosing. Loosing is never bad. It just suks for the moment.

So shapen up these things and come back saying how much you are looking forward to BJJ :icon_twis

What do you guys do to feel motivated to go grapple. For the last 2 months I had some injuries and took a week off then our gym closed for a week for holidays and now I;m just feeling meh whatever only going 1-2 a week instead of 3-6 like i used to when I first started (around my join date)

it will come back. I have had the same issues when recovering from injuries. In fact, just with work, it's not uncommon for me to be beat at day's end and not feel like GOING to class. However, whenever I do, I am incredibly happy and grateful that I went. You will get back up, but sometimes the time away and getting "knocked down a peg" can hurt your motivation. As you return to form and start to progress as you were, the desire to keep at it will return as well. Don't sweat it and just go at your own pace.

ironically, plenty of days when I feel like I'm hot shit and go to class thinking "this is going to be awesome, I'm going to tear it up today" are my worst training days. BJJ has a funny way of keeping you balanced like that.

just force yourself to go 3-4 days a week for like a week or two and then you'll get back into the swing of it and wonder why you ever doubted your motivation.

just quit now. way too many fucking quitters and i don't want no quitter representing my art.

I'm on the fence about whose a better representative for "your" art. A quitter, or a condescending A-Hole.

Injuries are annoying as hell but no reason to quit anything. I see injuries as more of an opportunity to train other areas.

If my arm is tweaked then put it in your belt and use 1 arm. If your knee is bothering you, ask your training partners to let you work specific positions that don't give you pain or just work technique. If your back is in pain well you may not be able to train, but work on your grip strength. As long as you're not in a full body cast there is always something you CAN do. And if you are in a full body cast, visualize and study tapes.

I thought I was done with BJJ until I got my friends involved who are now seriously training. Now I'll be damned if they get their black belt before I do. We motivate each other.

My advice is that you should take it easy. I was going through a bad slump, injured my ankle, had to finish the semester at school, was taking driver's education classes, and it really took my will to train for a while. I just couldn't manage to jump back in. So what I did was just trying to attend the days where there was just rolling, avoid the physical preparation days for a while, and take it easy as a whole until I felt safe about my ankle, about myself, and ready to go back to my regular schedule.

Also, remember that you can always quit. You're not bound to jiu jitsu, you don't have to be the AC/DC champion of the world, you don't have to hold the lightweight and heavyweight titles in the UFC, you don't have to do anything, especially when it comes to what you do on your free time with your money. Do what makes you happy. If jiu jitsu isn't making you happy at the moment, it's ok. You don't have to be psyched like crazy all of time.

My advice: bring the joy back to your training. Start small. Attend a couple of days where people just roll. Look up some dumb submissions on the internet and try them. Avoid heavy training days for the start. Test your body's integrity, injuries can make you really feel timid. Maybe buy some gear you really want to. It's your happy time, so take it easy and everything will come back.

Back