I'm not feeling motivated to go to BJJ

neckrow

White Belt
Reaction score
What do you guys do to feel motivated to go grapple. For the last 2 months I had some injuries and took a week off then our gym closed for a week for holidays and now I;m just feeling meh whatever only going 1-2 a week instead of 3-6 like i used to when I first started (around my join date)

That's how a quitter starts, dude. Seen it a thousand times. Get up and go.

I give myselt a guilty trip on the huge amount of money I have to pay.

That's how a quitter starts, dude. Seen it a thousand times. Get up and go.

Not necessarily, life happens bro. I have school, work and family so there have definetely been times where I've missed alot of time; even up to a month. I still do well and earned my Blue belt in less than 18 months.

I don't want to be the downer guy, but maybe you're just not into it.

I mean sure, I've had some times where I would rather just stay home and hang with the wife and kids, watch a movie, etc. Sometimes, I'll go ahead and give in on that impulse.

But generally, I'm moving in the opposite direction. I become mentally distraught if I don't train when I'm supposed to. Too many days pass, and I begin to yearn for training.

If you don't get that yet, you either haven't been doing it long enough and need to give it a fair try, or you just aren't into it.

There are plenty of other worthwhile activities out there (not for me, but I'm not you).

What was your initial motivation to train? Have you lost it? I am like a labrador chasing a ball. I'll do it til my paws are all bloody. I have to consciously remind myself to take time off, lower my intensity, and find other things to do...

Another analogy...

Jiu jitsu is like your girlfriend. If you are not into her, what's the point?

watch brock lesnar submit carwin thaat should be enough motivation to get you to go and try to one day get ur blk belt like brock

suck it up!!! Lately I been very ticked off since it seems the number of people attending the morning BJJ classes at my gym has been dwindling drastically! Most complain of the heat which really pisses me off. I remind all these whiners that they will really be bitching in the winter/fall when our instructor gets rid of some of the AM BJJ due to lack of attendance!!

So yea, instead of now getting a good 3-4 training classes with multiple training partners I have had 1-2 good days a week during the summer. Luckily my instructor is really cool and still has class with drilling and rolling with sometimes only 2 students. I'm still learing just like variety when it comes to training partners.

The night classes are a total different experience, just wish my work schedule permitted it. I sneak over there at night when I get an EO from work though.

Sorry for the rant. But the jist of it is get as much time on the mat or you will be sorry about progress in the long run

What do you guys do to feel motivated to go grapple. For the last 2 months I had some injuries and took a week off then our gym closed for a week for holidays and now I;m just feeling meh whatever only going 1-2 a week instead of 3-6 like i used to when I first started (around my join date)

The less you go, the less progress you make, and hence your motivation decreases. I watch Youtube instructional videos and grappling contests when I need motivation. If that doesn't do it, think about the last time you got bullied.

Trying pulling off a new move, or watch some competition stuff on youtube, motivates me.

What was your initial motivation to train? Have you lost it? I am like a labrador chasing a ball. I'll do it til my paws are all bloody. I have to consciously remind myself to take time off, lower my intensity, and find other things to do...

Another analogy...

Jiu jitsu is like your girlfriend. If you are not into her, what's the point?

I dont even know what was my initial motive I asked myself that before and didnt know. When I first joined it was because I wanted to do boxing but they offered BJJ so I tried it out and enjoyed it

Dude 2 times a week is also fine.
It's normal to have your motivation level fluctuate.
Maybe you're not cut out to train 5 times a week after all.
Maybe you'll consistently train 5 times a week every second month and 2 times a week otherwise.

In the end it's a hobby and it's your choice to decide how serious you'll be about it.

Obviously my BJJ team is a school and we train together not fight against one another but saying that, I do get bothered if I take time off and my BJJ partners excel during the time that I am gone. I wouldn't say bothered in a negative way - more a, "if you don't get back training you'll be getting smashed".

This may be just me but if I take longer than 7 days off I have about 2 or 3 awful sessions which really motivates me to get back involved.

I love BJJ. I love smashing people and them smashing me. It is all learning. I am never in a state where I don't want to train but University, good looking girls, ugly looking girls, having a social life sometimes get in the way.

I always get antsy when I watch competition footage or instructionals when I'm not rolling.

On the other hand, is it really a problem for you that you only go 1-2 times a day? Are you enjoying training less?

When you miss a decent chunk of time, it makes it really easy to let your motivations lip. I've had this happen many times due to injuries. A week turns into two, then 3. It's easy to let it spiral.

Just make it a point to go whether you feel motivated or not and it will come back. That's how it's worked for me.

Yeah twice a week is fine - it's not your job, you're doing this because you enjoy it. If you had an injury before you might have been overtraining and this is probably what killed your enthusiasm for it. I do think it's hard to progress without going at least three times a week, but anything above that is really just gravy.

BJJ is not something you should half-ass imo. Not fair to you or your training partners. It's hard so if you don't love it, you shouldnt do it.

just quit now. way too many fucking quitters and i don't want no quitter representing my art.

Last edited:
Back