I'm losing interest in the UFC

There are some good fights these days and some interesting personalities so you cant fully hate on the product but there is no doubt that SOMETHING IS MISSING.

Pride was the best IMO. The rules, the stadiums, the fans, the aesthetic, the story lines, the mixture of freakshows, bums, jobbers, journeymen, middle of the road fighters, high level contenders and the ELITES made for compelling match ups, high level competition and unbelievable stories.

Cards had a great blend of athletic competition, exciting can crushing, and freakshows but you cant cant deny the talent! Look at who fought in the MWGP. Some of the GOATs of MMA. The beat HW division ever. Some of the most exciting LWs ever.

It was amazing and way more exciting and dynamic than the product of the UFC today where shitty ass womens MMA fights are PPV headliners and co mains..fuck out of here with that shit. I'd rather watch japanese cans with world class judo/ wrestling backgrounds soccer kicking eachother in the face and leg locking eachother than watch Felicia Spencer or Jessica fucking eye fight in a main event Smh.

If the UFC switched to Pride FC design today with the same roster and marketing campaign it would FOR SURE be way more lit than the garbage the UFC has turned into today.

What they would be wise to do would be to stop spreading the quality high level fights so thin. No one is going to watch next week's card besides the dedicated fanbase, so let Guida and whatshisname headline it and move Robbie vs Colby to last Saturday's PPV.

They're concerned with headliners, to some extent, but they don't have enough compelling matchups to spread across 50 events. They really should just let the bottom 20% of cards be what they are (trash) and consolidate more quality to the PPVs.
I agree man. It would be nice to have stacked cards that are must see. Other B rated cards I would still watch but a $65 ppv for 1 or 2 fights is shitty for me. I don’t know their business model and numbers so I can only hope for this in the future.

I think the UFC is lacking star power now. With a lot of "name" guys retiring or getting old, there aren't that many new stars emerging yet. The fight cards seem to have a lot of guys the average fan never heard of. Heck, I am a pretty avid fan and there a lot of fighters I have never heard of! Every sport goes through this at some point though, and soon the next generation of star fighters will begin to emerge.

Bro you guys kill me..

Back when UFC had like 6 events a year, we were all like UFC is dying will never be mainstream accepted sport like boxing...its like a 2 month wait till the next card

Now the UFC has enough traction and fighters to put cards on weekly/bi weekly and y'all are complaining???

You guys seem lazy,

Poor me... i dont want to pay attention to so many fighters and invest my time in whos actually fighting blah blah boo hooo ...water down hurr huur

This is fantastic for the sport..

Stop being blinded by nostalgia...

I see your point, but you're swinging to the other end of the field. Fact is, very few people bitched about how shitty the UFC was from 2008-2012 when it was putting out something like 32 events per year and they were generally decent to awesome quality cards.

Anyway, I already posted my thoughts on an improvement.

Im mixed on this. I agree with the sentiment but part of me is hoping they just need more quality fighters. They have way more shows they have to put on now so they need fighters to fill those spots. The high level fighters we are used to can only fight so many times.
My hope is in the next 4 or 5 years we will see the talent fill those gaps. There has to be 400 high quality fighters out there right?
Wont the cream rise to the top?

I will say if it doesn't its only a matter of time before the general public stops caring if they havent already.

Im mixed on this. I agree with the sentiment but part of me is hoping they just need more quality fighters. They have way more shows they have to put on now so they need fighters to fill those spots. The high level fighters we are used to can only fight so many times.
My hope is in the next 4 or 5 years we will see the talent fill those gaps. There has to be 400 high quality fighters out there right?
Wont the cream rise to the top?

I will say if it doesn't its only a matter of time before the general public stops caring if they havent already.
I agree with this but theres not enough talent. Who 2ants to make 30k then pay their trainer ect. Get beat up for 20k?

I agree with this but theres not enough talent. Who 2ants to make 30k then pay their trainer ect. Get beat up for 20k?

Yeah, fighter pay and not following official rankings will be the primary reason for the UFCs downfall if they do end up dying.

The Fertitta's pimped WME. They led that hoe to water, and she drank it like a motherfucker. They took on what seemed to be ridiculous sponsorships such as Reebok. They expanded the market globally, and held events all around the world to give the impression that the sport was actually more popular than it really was to potential buyers. Like one big illusion, David Copperfield type shit. And then they sold, just at the right time, as the UFC was peaking with stars like Ronda and Conor. The rest is history. We are now in the vacuum of that transaction, and the new owners are scrambling to get returns on their 4 billion dollar investment. That's what Dana White's contender series and looking for a fight show are all about. They're hoping to fill that void with higher caliber, "A" level athletes. Until then, that void will be filled with mostly no name fighters with decent athleticism and mma skills, and soccer moms with minimal training and a willing heart.

ever since they moved to ESPN + and you cant order PPV, the drop off has been steep

I’m basically repeating myself here but whatever

A card every week is too much and the product becomes diluted. We don’t need 12 fights each week either.

I lost a lot of interest around March to June time and have had to go back and check out the good fights. There were some really good fights that I enjoyed watching but it’s hard to keep up with everything sometimes.

The thing I hate is when they put a fight I wanted to see as the first fight on the prelims. Then I probably care about the first fight on the main card, and after that I care about the co-main and main. I understand why they do this but it kills me. I usually end up sitting through the card and sometimes I am pleasantly surprised. But there’s been too many nights where I am just begging that the series of boring fights between boring fighters who bring nothing to the table in terms of exciting skills, technique or personality will finally come to an end.

240 wasn’t that bad at all tbh, but the ordering was a bit annoying. I understand why the Jotko fight was on the main card, but it’s only because his opponent was Canadian. I couldn’t have cared less if I never saw that fight or saw either of those guys fight ever again. I want to see guys like Figueiredo higher up the card instead. The UFC is a business and will sometimes put a decent fight on the fight pass prelims so that they can get/retain subscribers, and then they’ll put a decent fight on the ESPN prelims so that people tune into ESPN, and then the PPV will have two or three good fights so they can sell the PPV. It’s iust really annoying sometimes.

Oh and early stoppages are getting annoying. The terrible broadcast team makes things worse for me too. I thought I was going to perhaps lose interest permanently when I took a break a few months ago, but fighters like Masvidal, Zombie, Edgar, Figueiredo bring me back and remind me why I love MMA. I’m sick of bums like Sam Alvey being high up on cards. Or even being on cards at all. Unless you feed him to Saki or something.

I just watch less of it now...also, not gonna' pay for ESPN + - = / ...whatever it is they are calling it now...garbage.

Dont get me wrong when I good PPV is on I'm hyped. But these ESPN cards are trash. I feel like they're just trying to fill a void. I want the old UFC back. Does anyone else feel this way or am I just tripping?
I'm with you, man. It just ain't doing it for me like it used to. ESPN cards are garbage.

All ESPN cards are better than the trash of a PPV they had on saturday. Thats the current state of UFC.

If rankings mattered more and champs couldn't cherry pick their opponents and had to defend or vacate, it will seem a lot better to me. And when they hold on to the belt for 13 months without defending and then gets a surgery or pulls out of a fight, strip him, take away the official months he "was" champ, and make a new title fight with 2 proper contenders instead of the millionth interim title fight.

I definitely feel the same. I don't understand why people get so upset at someone for stating this opinion. I started watching when I was 10 years old. I saw UFC 1 and though it was amazing. Didn't understand how you can choke someone with your legs.

Then during the dark ages, I didn't see it anymore. Came back when Tito and Chuck were big and fell in love with PRIDE.

It is the only sport I follow now, except sumo wrestling. But that has only 6 events a year, so its easy to follow. I do miss about 6 PRIDE/6 UFCs year. That for me was the golden age.

I am still a fan, but I don't watch every event anymore.

Bro you guys kill me..

Back when UFC had like 6 events a year, we were all like UFC is dying will never be mainstream accepted sport like boxing...its like a 2 month wait till the next card

Now the UFC has enough traction and fighters to put cards on weekly/bi weekly and y'all are complaining???

You guys seem lazy,

Poor me... i dont want to pay attention to so many fighters and invest my time in whos actually fighting blah blah boo hooo ...water down hurr huur

This is fantastic for the sport..

Stop being blinded by nostalgia...

Ya I get what you are saying. I however never complained about 6 a year and NEVER wanted it to go mainstream. There is this nice fringe balance where people really do it for the love because there isn't any money in it, to where you can make a living doing it fulltime and skills improve more because of it. I used to like breakdancing too, but now everyone wears sponsor Tshirts and its just kind of killed the vibe.

Once things become mainstream, I personally see that as a negative for content quality. But some people love that baseball season has so many games. People are looking for different things regarding their interests.

It's like a buffet vs fine dining. Typically fine dining is less frequent but higher quality, and buffets you get all you can handle. I happen to love eating both (I'm fat).

Anyways, I am not mad at the current status, just prefer the older format.

Back in the day, would Alex Hernandez still be on the roster after that last performance? I’m curious, as I started watching only around 2012.

The change that I don’t care for is the call out aspect now. This shit of every fighter having to “build their brand” is hack at best and looks bad for the company. The UFC marketing department shouldn’t consist of CTE effected gym rats.

Its been going downhill for many years, a lot of the cards I skip these days. I still love MMA, but these forums keep it alive for me, if it wasn't for you guys then I swear I would have drifted away many years ago all together.

I used to walk a few miles to Blockbusters so I could rent UFC VHS tapes, from UFC 1 - 22, few miles walk and few miles walk back, did not have a car back in the mid 90's, occasionally used the bus but most of the time I walked by myself... so I can say I'm as hardcore as it comes, and it just doesn't carry the same appeal and love that it used to for me, there are so many reasons and way too many to list. I hope it can catch on fire again someday, not just on odd occasions.

Back