I'm I making good progress?

farmboy said:
Jeez, I'm trying to gain weight, and I can barely still break 175. I've been using the Westside for Skinny Bastards workout. I've been eating like a maniac, lean red meat, lots of eggs, protein shakes, etc... Actually, since you posted here, Urban, I have a question that you may be able to help me with.

When I'm doing a max day, it says to work up to a max of 3-5. Now, I usually start at 135 and work my way up 10lbs at a time until I get to 3 reps. Am I doing it right, or should I be trying something different?

Yes you should be trying a new routine, unless that 135 is in kilos WSB is too advanced for you, westside isn't really for beginners.

Just from my own experience because I'm a n00b at lifting too, I've been sticking with Urban's routine and keeping it simple at 8-12reps x 5 sets. I've already noticed that I've gotten immensely stronger, and I'm still able to add a little bit more weight and lower my reps every now and then.

I think mainly what people are saying here is "Keep it simple."

I know its not set in stone, but Urban recommends that you keep the high rep routine for 4-6 months. Unless he's changed his opinion since writing this, I'm guess that this suggestion is for n00bs like me who need to build the connective tissue strength properly so I don't hurt myself or blow an artery trying a 1rep max deadlift. In addition there is ALWAYS form to think about, unless you have great form already, the high rep scheme helps me focus on form as well (at least for the first few reps in the set.)

As for Deadlift reps I end up doing 1 pull then standing back up fully minus the weight and then begin another pull soon after standing up and positioning myself for good form. I don't know if this is what people meant by NOT doing "reps" with deads, but this is how I pieced together the info I've pulled off this forum. It's not completely reps, but its not really 1 rep maxs either.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm saying utter BS here. But so far its worked for me.
Also Make sure you read Carnal's treatise on lifting heavy in the stickies as well.

morganfreeman said:
I find it hard to believe that you spent that much time reading if you are doing leg press, extensions, curls and calf raises on leg day. Squat/dl variations will do everything those exercises do and a whole lot more in half the time.
What should a good leg routine consist of? I have very limited equipment to train my legs with. I'm just trying to build my legs up bigger they are very thin.

Urban said:
ok, do this with your deadlift: singles. high reps on deadlift are garbage. I have my GF deadlifting right now and she does 20-25 singles (30 seconds rest in between reps) with a weight she can handle. FYI, she uses 65 lbs. Start with that scheme for a couple weeks 20-25 x 1, don't go to failure. Deadlifts are a low rep exericse.

your girlfriend is a wuss.

She's no wuss. Her biggest challenge is going to be holding onto the bar. When she was younger she broke both her lower arms (breaking all her radius and ulna bones right in the middle) and as expected it never quite healed right.

Urban said:
She's no wuss. Her biggest challenge is going to be holding onto the bar. When she was younger she broke both her lower arms (breaking all her radius and ulna bones right in the middle) and as expected it never quite healed right.

If you don't mind me asking, but how did she do that???

the opportunities for wifebeating jokes here are extremely tempting, but the truth is, it was a trampoline accident. She went to flip, didn't make it all the way over, landed in a handstand (on the trampoline) and broke both her arms.

If you wanna get stronger, 12 reps are not the best way to go. 5 reps or lower would be the best way to go.

Urban said:
the opportunities for wifebeating jokes here are extremely tempting, but the truth is, it was a trampoline accident. She went to flip, didn't make it all the way over, landed in a handstand (on the trampoline) and broke both her arms.

Ouch.

Metafour said:
What should a good leg routine consist of? I have very limited equipment to train my legs with. I'm just trying to build my legs up bigger they are very thin.

If you have access to a barbell and weights, which, judging by your previous posts, you do, squats and squat variations (front, overhead, box) deadlift and deadlift variations (sldl and rdl, off platforms, rackpulls, high pulls) and goodmornings are pretty much all I do for my legs. Some isolation exercises do have their purpose, but I haven't had much success with any of the ones you are using. As for leg press, squatting works the legs much better, and as the weight is not on your feet but on your back, it works everything inbetween as well. Stick to exercises that give you the most bang for your buck. Your pull day looks decent enough (although I might scrap the dumbell rows for pullups or lat pulldowns if you can't do a pullup), but on squat day, I would change it to:

Squat 5x8-12
front squat 3x8-12
GM 3x8-12
Grip work (plate pinches, farmers walk or what have you)
Abs

After another month or two, move down to 5x6 on squats, but keep everything else the same. Wait another month, and then do 5x5. After a month of that, you should be alright to start working heavier. I would stick to this rep range on all your exercises except deadlift, which you should be alright to start singles on right away, provided you keep all your assistance work in the 8-12 range. As for your calves, if you really want to get them bigger, running sprints and stairs have had a much greater effect for me than any sort of weighted isolation exercise I used when I started lifting.

One other thing: don't be afraid to go heavier on deadlifts. Working at lower weights is great for developing proper form, but you've had a few weeks already. If you are squatting 230 lbs for reps (I don't know what plates you are using to come up with that number) there is no reason you shouldn't be able to pull at least two plates for a single. No need to rush yourself, but next time you deadlift, hit 20 singles, and put an extra five lbs on each side after each completed lift. I have a sneaking suspicion you might end up surprising yourself.

Back